Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Do These Photos Look Okay?

Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
662 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2018  12:18 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add dd27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I've been really busy, but finally carving out some time to practice my coin photography.

Do these photos look good enough for eBay, etc.?

Thanks!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1899 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2018  12:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mrzllewellyn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They look pretty good maybe cut out less rim with round photo?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
662 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2018  01:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dd27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good point! Thanks so much. :)
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3680 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2018  01:35 am  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Think they look spectacular. I do agree with Mrzllewellyn about not cropping so close to your image. Can I ask what kind of setup you're using?
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10549 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2018  02:13 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice to see a post from you, Mark.

I agree with the above comments, but for eBay's sake, they are perfectly fine and better than most.
"Oh, cruel fate, to be thusly boned. Ask not for whom the bone bones. It bones for thee."
-Bender B. Rodriguez
"Just because you're paranoid don't mean they're not after you."
-Kurdt Kobain
"Language is the source of misunderstandings."
-Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Valued Member
United States
412 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2018  02:22 am  Show Profile   Check Copper Penny Connection's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Copper Penny Connection to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think they look fine as long as it shows the same color of the Lincoln cent in the picture as it does with coin in hand. I disagree with above comments about over cropping. As long as your not cropping out any of the ACTUAL coin, closer the better. With eBay, It will make your "main" photo stand out from the others who didn't fully crop when scrolling through a search page.
Edited by Copper Penny Connection
06/03/2018 02:22 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10549 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2018  02:31 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
As long as your not cropping out any of the ACTUAL coin, closer the better.

That's what is being referenced. Some of the actual coin was circle-cropped out of the final image(s).
"Oh, cruel fate, to be thusly boned. Ask not for whom the bone bones. It bones for thee."
-Bender B. Rodriguez
"Just because you're paranoid don't mean they're not after you."
-Kurdt Kobain
"Language is the source of misunderstandings."
-Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Edited by spruett001
06/03/2018 02:31 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4852 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2018  08:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mcshilling to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When you post pics try to get the finished size the same on both. Also on the obv. side turn the coin so Liberty and the Date are straight.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
662 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2018  2:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dd27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone for your feedback and suggestions - all very helpful!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
662 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2018  3:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dd27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Can I ask what kind of setup you're using?

Ray (rmpsrpms), who frequents this forum and offers great advice (along with many others), put my setup together. It's pretty close to Example #4 on Ray's website.

Camera: Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XS

Lens: Nikon EL-Nikkor 63 mm f/2.8

An adapter that allows me to attach the 42mm (T-mount) of the Vivitar bellows to the 39mm thread of the Nikon lens

Camera Info & Settings
Firmware Firmware Version 1.0.7
ISO Speed 100
Flash Off
White Balance Mode Tungsten

Lighting: Three JANSJÖ LED Work Lamp by IKEA - I tried to space them equal distances apart, although the desk I'm using is small so that was not perfect. I tried to point them down as close to vertical as I could, but they are more like 160 degrees (if vertical is 180 degrees). They each have filter paper over them to diffuse the light.

I purchased the paper from Blick: Canson Opalux Translucent Paper, Item #10240-5919 >> "Opalux is a translucent, 110 lb weight paper with a satin finish that's ideal for drawing and color prints. It's also great for creating translucent cards and decorations."

Details re: JANSJÖ LED Work Lamps
Luminous flux: 88 Lumen
Height: 60 cm
Base diameter: 12 cm
Cord length: 2.0 m
Power: 2.0 W
LED life approx. 20,000 hours.
Light color; warm white (3000 Kelvin).
Built-in LED light source.
Arm: Steel, Paint
Shade: Aluminum, Powder coating
Edited by dd27
06/03/2018 3:56 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3198 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2018  6:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rmpsrpms to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The photos look good (though I agree...please rotate to make the mottoes level). I still see some highlighting on the edges of devices, so you can probably improve things a bit further. Recently I've been recommending lens-mounted diffusers, which bring the light as close to the lens as possible without causing flare. Take a 5"x5" piece of Opalux and cut a hole in the middle. The hole should be a little smaller than the front outside of the lens. Cut a few small slits around the periphery and then push the paper onto the front of the lens. Then shine your lights onto the diffuser. Move the lights close to the diffuser to reduce diffusion, or farther away to spread the light onto more of the diffuser, increasing diffusion. It's very simple and effective used this way. You can do some sophisticated "shaping" of the light by masking-off parts of the diffuser, such as the area near 12:00 (to keep the light from shining from that direction) or the area outside a certain diameter (to make the light more axial in nature) or the light inside a certain diameter (to eliminate glare from slabs). It's a powerful lighting platform.
Contact me for photographic equipment or visit my home page at:
http://macrocoins.com
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
662 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2018  12:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dd27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll definitely try that Ray - thanks!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
662 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2018  12:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dd27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just posted a 1952-D LWC for grading practice: http://goccf.com/t/320548

I also tried to get it level and cropped accurately, plus I placed the penny on a grey card (18% gray), which I think looks slightly better (o/w I use black background).

I appreciate y'all's help!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1148 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2018  2:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadDog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Take a 5"x5" piece of Opalux and cut a hole in the middle. The hole should be a little smaller than the front outside of the lens. Cut a few small slits around the periphery and then push the paper onto the front of the lens. Then shine your lights onto the diffuser.

I've been using Jansjo's with a ping pong ball covers for lighting, but was in Hobby Lobby the other day and they had Opalux for $4.99 a sheet so I decided to give it a try.

Cut out a circle of Opalux just big enough so that it wouldn't hit my home made copy stand when focusing the camera (my Pentax camera doesn't have Liveview, so I use autofocus. When the lens focuses, the Opalux would hit the vertical support of the stand if the sheet is too large), cut the center hole so that I could put the Opalux between the UV filter and lens. When you screw back on the UV filter it holds the Opalux with no problem. Looks like this

I left the ping pong balls on the Jansjos (so I guess the light is being diffused twice), grabbed a couple of coins from change and gave it a go. Here's what I got

Not TrueView quality, but I'm fairly happy with them. Will have to play with the lighting a bit more and see what difference it makes. Also, will have to test it out with some BU and PRF coins.
Learn More...
United States
82516 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
3198 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2018  03:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rmpsrpms to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The shots are a bit washed-out because you have too much diffusion. I think you have too many lights. With the diffuser, you can get by with 2 lights. Try removing the other lights, and then moving the two lights a little (or a lot) farther from the diffuser. This shines light onto more of the diffuser, increasing the diffusion so that 2 lights can be used instead of X.
Contact me for photographic equipment or visit my home page at:
http://macrocoins.com
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.3 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05