Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

The Fifty gets a Facelift  

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
1367 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2018  12:58 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
In most collectors guides you look through, you’ll notice the small size Fifty dollar note didn’t change much from the original design printed in 1929. The signatures changed, but other than that, everything else remained untouched. Well, all that changed in 1996. A similar change also occurred on the Hundred dollar note and the Twenty dollar note, with the changes delayed for the Five dollar note and Ten dollar note until 1999.

Immediately you see the portrait is larger and shifted slightly off center to the left to accommodate the watermark on the right. Further inspection shows the Federal Reserve Seal has also changed to a nondescript design, no longer showing the the district designation. Another change, is the placement of the serial numbers and the prefix letter changing to prefix letters (plural).

Feel free to post your $50, old and new....my favorite portrait and note design.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4910 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2018  2:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice! Sadly, I have never kept anything above a $20 for my collection... just too much face value and too much to lose to inflation.

I have always liked them, too, mostly stemming from the memory of holding one in my hands as a kid for the first time, and really appreciating the face value in them... like 3 months' allowance!
New Sale! Inexpensive classic Greek silver, over 2,400 years old!

http://goccf.com/t/323297
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
26694 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2018  2:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well you know me, I've got fifties coming out of my ears. The best small note design for sure.

Edited by Coinfrog
06/05/2018 2:44 pm
Learn More...
United States
58002 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2018  4:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What a misleading topic title! I thought we were getting an updated fifty!

But lovely examples, so I got over it rather quickly.
Valued Member
United States
256 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2018  4:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dave L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've always thought the design of the 50's were some of the better designed US notes.

- Dave L
IBNS #9984
http://www.banknoteden.com
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4288 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2018  5:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MeadowviewCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I like the look of the big head fifties and the colorized ones aren't bad either.

As for collecting, I save fifties for a rainy day or until I need to pay for an unforeseen expense.

-MV
I'm slowly building my numismatic library--106 works and counting

With assistance, trying to compile a listing of numismatic reference books & materials available to collectors http://goccf.com/t/174749
Pillar of the Community
558 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2018  8:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ckrakowski to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some other changes.

The legal tender clause is now on the bottom instead of the top.

The the united stets of america is now on top instead of the bottom.

The series year is now on the left instead of the right.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1367 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2018  11:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It may sound superficial, but it’s the portrait I love,
President Grant was, by no means, our most effective or beloved President. But, to me, he is the most presidential looking of all the Presidents portrayed on our currency, large or small.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
26694 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2018  2:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pretty fair general, though.

Edited by Coinfrog
06/06/2018 2:32 pm
Learn More...
United States
58002 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2018  4:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
President Grant was, by no means, our most effective or beloved President. But, to me, he is the most presidential looking of all the Presidents portrayed on our currency, large or small.
Nothing against Grant, but I am more of a Lincoln guy. Not just because I see him way more often.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
26694 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2018  4:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We're not talking about accomplishments here, just looks!
Learn More...
United States
58002 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8365 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2018  6:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Steve and Dave L, your selections are easily my favorites.

But frog, your Nationals are awesome too.

Ah, who am I kidding? I've never seen a $50 I don't like. Just wish I saw more of them!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
26694 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2018  7:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all, Yankees and Rebs alike, for honorin' me in such a fine fashion.

Edited by Coinfrog
06/06/2018 7:19 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1367 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2018  11:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This beauty arrived Friday from Germany. A short run of 640K, printed almost two years ago at the Western Currency Facility in Fort Worth. None graded, so far, at either grading service. This might end up being a tough note to find.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
26694 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2018  12:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice one! Going to have it graded?
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.93 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05