Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Thinking about buying a few Large Size notes. Where do I start?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
7540 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2018  11:06 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CoinCollector2012 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
While my main focus has (and will continue) to be coins, Iíve recently though about picking up a few large size notes. I love the artwork on the older notes, but I canít decide what types to get. I really like the woodchopper series, but are there any other nice, affordable, large size types out there?
Sets in progress... Mercury dimes, Washington quarters, 7070 Type Set, WLH Short Set
View my collection here! http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10518
My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/328488
ANA: 3183215
Pillar of the Community
United States
1428 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2018  11:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You picked a good time to be in the market. In my opinion, itís presently a buyers market.

The entry level large size note is the 1923 Silver Certificate Ace. Many can be found in virtually every grade.
If buying online, I highly recommend buying a graded note. And if I took it one step further, Iíd recommend finding an example with great eye appeal and original paper (EPQ or PPQ). Years back, I bought an Fr.224. Itís the iconic Educational Ace. The note I bought has massive eye appeal, but does not have original paper. So now Iím trying to upgrade to a VF/XF note with EPQ/PPQ. Do your homework, be patient, and buy something you really like. Stay away from bargain problem notes.

Pillar of the Community
United States
7540 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2018  11:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinCollector2012 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the advice Steve. I love the educationals, but they are a little over what I want to spend at the moment. Iím just looking to get my feet wet.
Sets in progress... Mercury dimes, Washington quarters, 7070 Type Set, WLH Short Set
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1924 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2018  2:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Connor to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Every large note collection has to have a black eagle.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
28210 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2018  7:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, Black Eagles are very affordable in medium-circulated grades, as are Sawbucks ($1 USNs), Green Eagles ($1 FRBNs) and $5 FRNs. The 1922 $10 Gold Certificate would be my first choice in a nice VF grade if you can spend in the low $300s.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1985 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2018  1:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think these are undervalued, if you can find them. Much rarer than price would suggest.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
28210 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2018  4:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Indeed they are, but I think the OP is looking for more affordable entry-level notes!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3551 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2018  10:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Joe2007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Love the educational series but like you my budget can't quite afford them in decent grades.

I'd suggest considering a Large Size Gold Certificate, they are large iconic notes and I find it really cool that you could at one time exchange them for gold bullion. Also consider some Large Size National Banknotes, I have a few from surrounding towns and cities that I really enjoy.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
28210 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2018  1:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good advice on both recommendations. The 1922 $10 Gold Certificate can be found in a high VF TPG holder for not much over $300, and it's a knockout.

Edited by Coinfrog
08/06/2018 2:08 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1985 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2018  3:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Tip: The small numbers large size gold certificates are scarcer and don't cost much more.
Edited by jimbucks
08/06/2018 3:14 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
7540 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2018  11:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinCollector2012 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the advice everyone! I ended up buying a nice woodchopper, a 1914 $5 FRN, and a 1917 legal tender $2 to start my collection.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1985 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2018  11:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice start. When checking out notes hold them up to the light to see if there are any pinholes.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2011 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2018  07:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is a great note to begin with!

Everyday is a great day. Semper Fi.
ANA number: 3178122
NTCA number:10118
My Wants List: http://goccf.com/t/188411
Pillar of the Community
United States
1159 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2018  08:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kurrency Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Were the notes you bought RAW or TPG'd?

KK
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.9 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05