Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2017 W ASE sold out....lowest mintage W

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4245 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2018  06:30 am  Show Profile   Check Foxwoods Man's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Foxwoods Man to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I bought 5 NGC 70's in November and added 5 more recently when I saw the final mintage numbers.
United States
10 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2018  9:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NTVN2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Edited by NTVN2017
06/23/2018 9:06 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
5011 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2018  9:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jack jeckel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I saw this on eBay. Is it price too good to be true?

Not a true W minted coin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
632 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2018  07:33 am  Show Profile   Check BadDog's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadDog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
NTVN2017

Quote:
Not a true W minted coin.

Isn't quite the entire story.

The coins that you posted the links to are coined by the Mint as bullion coins, not collector coins per se. Bullion coins are minted at either West Point or San Francisco, but they don't have mint marks. Even without a mint mark, recently it has become possible for the direct bullion purchasers to determine which facility minted the coins they are receiving. Because of this, you will sometimes see graded bullion coins, without a mint mark, with a label that designates which facility minted the coin. This is the case with the coin in your first link.

What the quote is referring to as a "true W minted coin" are the uncirculated ASE you as a collector can purchase directly from the Mint. These coins DO have the W mint mark on them and are generally referred to as "burnished" ASEs (although the Mint doesn't call them that). The Mint recently indicated the 2017-W uncirculated ASE was sold out and no longer available for direct purchase from the Mint, hence this thread and the speculation that is occurring because of the mintage. The 2018-W is still available.

The coins you posted links to are priced as graded bullion coins, not as the uncirculated collector coins being discussed in this thread. The prices are probably in the ball park for a graded bullion coin.

I'm sure that jack jeckel knew all of this, but his brief comment may have led you to believe something was fishy with the first eBay linked coin. To quote Paul Harvey, my comments are some of "the rest of the story"
Edited by BadDog
06/24/2018 07:42 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4245 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2018  07:46 am  Show Profile   Check Foxwoods Man's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Foxwoods Man to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The above reply is correct..both are bullion instead of the burnished ASE's being discussed

One is labeled as a (W) which means it was certified as being from the West Point Mint (as opposed to the Phily or SF Mints)

The other is a straight graded bullion ASE. Neither ad is misleading and state and image what they are.

Edited by Foxwoods Man
06/24/2018 07:48 am
Valued Member
United States
126 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2018  2:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Taphandle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Picked up two this morning at $37. It stated that the sale was ending today at 8a.m., guessing that was pacific time. Those two will bring me to three in the box, two SP70's and a 69. For some reason, I don't think these will be as key as we would like.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2712 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2018  6:26 pm  Show Profile   Check SA4H's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SA4H to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ Taphandle: How so?
'Pytellc': I am still waiting for my $50 world coins from you, Mr. Carson Pytell!

*+*Bruce*+*
My coins available for trade. - My coins for sale - Coins I want/need.
"Living to Learn, Not Learning to Live!"
Yet, I'm learning to live more than living to learn!
Valued Member
United States
89 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2018  9:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chevelle7167 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wonder if these will as well. I already had an NGC 69, but when I saw that one in OGP for $37, I picked up an extra. The thing that makes me wonder is why the 2012 silver Kennedy still brings a substantial premium. The 15,16 and 17 are now all lower mintage, and have the more desirable 64 portrait
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4245 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2018  06:20 am  Show Profile   Check Foxwoods Man's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Foxwoods Man to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It all depends on whether the 2017 numbers are low because of a decreasing lack of interest or low because of an oversight by collectors. We'll have to watch the 2018 numbers to find out
Pillar of the Community
United States
1063 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2018  10:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bret to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Foxwoods nailed it.
Valued Member
United States
126 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2018  4:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Taphandle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
SA4H

Quote:
It all depends on whether the 2017 numbers are low because of a decreasing lack of interest or low because of an oversight by collectors. We'll have to watch the 2018 numbers to find out

What he said.

ETA: Received an email from Liberty today, the 2017 Unc. is back up to 49.95 which is $5 over the mints price. Go figure.
Edited by Taphandle
06/26/2018 4:58 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2508 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2018  8:42 pm  Show Profile   Check Darth Morgan's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Darth Morgan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It all depends on whether the 2017 numbers are low because of a decreasing lack of interest

I certainly hope so. I would like to see this design retired and replaced with something new. . . . or perhaps resurrect another classic design. Personally, I'd like to see a Draped Bust Liberty obverse with the Standing Liberty quarter reverse eagle. Yaaaass.
My Eisenhower dollar Complete Variety Set, Circulation Strikes and Proof (PCGS Registry) - https://www.PCGS.com/SetRegistry/do...edset/119137
Edited by Darth Morgan
06/26/2018 8:42 pm
Valued Member
United States
239 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2018  11:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wyzeguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Received an email from Liberty today, the 2017 Unc. is back up to 49.95 which is $5 over the mints price. Go figure.

They still have some on eBay that you can bid on. They've been ending around $36-$38. Here's one of them.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2017-W-Ame...401557062829

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4245 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2018  07:10 am  Show Profile   Check Foxwoods Man's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Foxwoods Man to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Re: Liberty ASE's

I received the five I recently ordered and three of them have already started developing milk spots. The ones I had received previously were all fine.

I am going to contact them about replacement or refund.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1063 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2018  3:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bret to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That stinks. I've never has a ASE develop milk spots. Hopefully the ones I ordered will be fine. Good luck with getting your situation ironed out.
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.96 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05