Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1877 Trade Dollar for Grading

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
57 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2018  5:41 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CoinAdvocate to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hey guys, picked up this trade dollar today and was wondering what you guys would grade it. I was thinking somewhere around VF but I'm still learning so what do you guys think?

Thanks everyone
CoinAdvocate

Pillar of the Community
United States
6875 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2018  5:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
F-15
Collector of all classic US coinage.

How to identify cleaned coins: http://goccf.com/t/319679
Pillar of the Community
United States
5838 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2018  8:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
fine - might be cleaned
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15719 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2018  9:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cast counterfeit. Denticles all by themselves prove that.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3014 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2018  9:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MikeF to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Look at the schnoz on liberty! And Chinese eyes to boot!
Hi, my name is MikeF and I'm a degenerate coin collector. I also like adventure, big trucks, long walks on the beach and the Kansas City Chiefs.
Valued Member
United States
57 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2018  10:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinAdvocate to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So we're at 27.0g and 37.91mm diameter, how certain are you guys that this is a fake? I am very uncomfortable with bringing it back, but will upon being reasonably convinced...
Valued Member
United States
449 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2018  12:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jst1dreamr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you are in the So. Cal. area you can stop in at the coin show and some of the grading professionals will be able to say yes or no. The show is this weekend. (June 14th-16th)

In Long Beach that is.
Edited by jst1dreamr
06/13/2018 12:34 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
6875 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2018  12:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks real to me. Don't see a problem with the denticles. They appear to be normal for trade dollars, which have denticles of a slightly different design on obverse and reverse.

Edited by SilverDollar2017
06/13/2018 12:39 am
Bedrock of the Community
10197 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2018  12:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
See that ridge running around the lower reverse? That and just the color. Try the tissue test and magnet, this year is the BIGGEST TD faker on the market because there were may made...chop marks? You got two opinions from some top notch dollar folks, better take them and it back.
Edited by Crazyb0
06/13/2018 12:54 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1118 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2018  01:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hadleydog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Denticles are wrong, portrait is off, and porous fields to boot.
Valued Member
United States
57 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2018  01:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinAdvocate to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well I'm going to the San Jose coin club meeting tomorrow and we'll see what they say...
Edited by CoinAdvocate
06/13/2018 2:16 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
6875 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2018  01:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Disregard my previous opinion. I was using an iPad and I had a photo of a real Trade dollar open. I was looking at both your coin and the other one at the same time, and I got them confused. Sorry about that.

This one looks fake. Portrait, denticles, bubbles in fields, and classic Chinese artificial patina.

Edited by SilverDollar2017
06/13/2018 01:17 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
3014 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2018  01:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MikeF to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can't get over the liberty's grill. Nose job gone terribly wrong. That thing looks like it could cut glass.
Hi, my name is MikeF and I'm a degenerate coin collector. I also like adventure, big trucks, long walks on the beach and the Kansas City Chiefs.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
29577 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2018  6:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've not had a great deal of experience with these, but I'm not convinced it's a fake without further corroborating evidence.
Edited by Coinfrog
06/13/2018 6:44 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2150 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2018  11:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If the coin is counterfeit the cast was made from a grade of approx VF35 as the wear on the coin is typical of a VF35, and this grade has not been typical of the Trade Dollar Chinese fakes. I checked the Chinese fake sites and could not find a like example. The coin has mussy details when compared to a genuine example, the Chinese patina, pot marks in the fields, a trough under dollar on the reverse, some strange uneven rims on the reverse, questionable denticles. If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, then it must be a duck.
Edited by Slider23
06/14/2018 08:50 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
14174 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2018  09:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The look looked good to me until I noticed that surface dip under the lettering around the reverse near the rim. This one is very deceiving but I think it is one I would pass on.
Edited by IndianGoldEagle
06/14/2018 10:01 am
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.17 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05