Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Parakkamabahu II Ae Massa

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 775Next Topic  
Learn More...
United States
22983 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2018  4:32 pm Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Adding to my small collection of Sri Lankan coins is this A Massa of Parakkamabahu II 1236-1271 AD

Obverse: King standing on Lotus stalk holding a lamp in his left hand and a flower in his right. Lotus flower in right field.
Reverse: King seated right with his left arm raised upward holding a shell. Nagari legend: SRI PA RA KRA MA BAHU

20 mm x 4.16 grams. Requesting help with reference.
Reference: Mitchiner 845-847/Codington #84

http://www.sundaytimes.lk/080427/Fu...hawamsa.html
Pillar of the Community
United States
4907 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2018  4:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great looking addition!
Learn More...
United States
22983 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2018  4:35 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Bob.
Learn More...
United States
16051 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2018  4:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A good addition Ron. Did you ever pick up a copy of Kandy Kings?
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Learn More...
United States
22983 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2018  5:01 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Dave, no I tried to find a copy but had no luck.
Pillar of the Community
United States
950 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2018  5:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kushanshah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This page on the massa of Parakkamabahu II mentions 2 references, Mitchiner #845-847 and Codrington #84. The Mitchiner reference would be to his "Oriental Coins and Their Values, Vol. 3: Non-Islamic States & Western Colonies" (London, 1979). I don't own a copy but surely someone among us does. The Codrington reference is "Ceylon Coins and Currency", 1924, which should be out of copyright and available free online.

http://coins.lakdiva.org/medievalla...bahu~ii.html

Edited by Kushanshah
06/13/2018 6:59 pm
Learn More...
United States
22983 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2018  6:07 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks KS.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5871 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2018  8:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent! These are my favorite south Indian medieval coins; very aesthetically pleasing!
My Collections:
Roman Imperial
http://goccf.com/t/348979
Japan Type set Tokugawa + Modern
http://goccf.com/t/348999
Indo Sassanian
http://goccf.com/t/322087
Learn More...
United States
22983 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2018  8:55 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Steve, I'm starting to really like them also.
Learn More...
United States
16051 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2018  02:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ron, if you are still interested, it looks like a copy of Lapa's Kandy Kings of Ceylon is available on abe.com. Otherwise, @kushanshah's online reference looks like a great resource.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Learn More...
United States
22983 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2018  1:07 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Dave, I'll check it out.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
1830 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2018  02:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great looking coin Ron with a nice clear legend!
Which rulers have you got so far?
The differences in Mitchiners 845/847 as I recall
are to do with which object the ruler is holding and the style of the lamp...I'll have a dig around and see what I can find.
Paul
Learn More...
United States
22983 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2018  07:06 am  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
sa/hanks Paul, your collection has inspired me to start building a collection. I have only two others beside this one a Sahasa Malla and one other I can't find at the moment.
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 775Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.84 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05