Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Parakkamabahu II AE Massa

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Learn More...
United States
21778 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2018  4:32 pm Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Adding to my small collection of Sri Lankan coins is this A Massa of Parakkamabahu II 1236-1271 AD

Obverse: King standing on Lotus stalk holding a lamp in his left hand and a flower in his right. Lotus flower in right field.
Reverse: King seated right with his left arm raised upward holding a shell. Nagari legend: SRI PA RA KRA MA BAHU

20 mm x 4.16 grams. Requesting help with reference.
Reference: Mitchiner 845-847/Codington #84

http://www.sundaytimes.lk/080427/Fu...hawamsa.html
Pillar of the Community
United States
3794 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2018  4:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great looking addition!
Learn More...
United States
21778 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2018  4:35 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Bob.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8758 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2018  4:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A good addition Ron. Did you ever pick up a copy of Kandy Kings?
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Learn More...
United States
21778 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2018  5:01 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Dave, no I tried to find a copy but had no luck.
Valued Member
United States
377 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2018  5:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kushanshah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This page on the massa of Parakkamabahu II mentions 2 references, Mitchiner #845-847 and Codrington #84. The Mitchiner reference would be to his "Oriental Coins and Their Values, Vol. 3: Non-Islamic States & Western Colonies" (London, 1979). I don't own a copy but surely someone among us does. The Codrington reference is "Ceylon Coins and Currency", 1924, which should be out of copyright and available free online.

http://coins.lakdiva.org/medievalla...bahu~ii.html

Edited by Kushanshah
06/13/2018 6:59 pm
Learn More...
United States
21778 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2018  6:07 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks KS.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5253 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2018  8:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent! These are my favorite south Indian medieval coins; very aesthetically pleasing!
New Sale! Inexpensive classic Greek silver, over 2,400 years old!

http://goccf.com/t/323297
Learn More...
United States
21778 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2018  8:55 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Steve, I'm starting to really like them also.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8758 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2018  02:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ron, if you are still interested, it looks like a copy of Lapa's Kandy Kings of Ceylon is available on abe.com. Otherwise, @kushanshah's online reference looks like a great resource.
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Learn More...
United States
21778 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2018  1:07 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Dave, I'll check it out.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
951 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2018  02:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great looking coin Ron with a nice clear legend!
Which rulers have you got so far?
The differences in Mitchiners 845/847 as I recall
are to do with which object the ruler is holding and the style of the lamp...I'll have a dig around and see what I can find.
Paul
Learn More...
United States
21778 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2018  07:06 am  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
sa/hanks Paul, your collection has inspired me to start building a collection. I have only two others beside this one a Sahasa Malla and one other I can't find at the moment.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.68 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05