Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Zurie's 1000th Post Contest!

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5
Pillar of the Community
United States
1899 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2018  11:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mrzllewellyn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I learned A LOT doing this I had fun doing it and amazingly knew quite a few off hand which made me pretty excited
Pillar of the Community
United States
1892 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2018  12:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mister Kairu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Same, off hand I think I knew 2, but it was fun to research and definitely cool figuring out you can find so much out about a date other than those 4 numbers. Could possibly help if I find a worn date coin you never know!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1750 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2018  1:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Glad you guys enjoyed doing it! I learned a lot putting this together, too.
Valued Member
United States
343 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2018  3:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sosicoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the info on PM, Zurie. PM = email at CCF. I was able to send you a message when I looked at the tabs where Errers and Varietys instructed me on how to edit a post. Even though I blindly sent you a message, I know that you or the others can direct me if you didn't get my guessed answers. LOL. come on coiniacs, you are not making an assessments of the coins, your skills are not tested, you are guessing the dates. This contest is about guessing skills. LOL. NOW YOU KNOW, NOW YOU DON'T kind of thing. Just guess. Join the fun.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1899 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2018  7:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mrzllewellyn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No no guessing first you need to know what coin you are looking at then if it has an error or variety then you find out what date that exact variety is. I used PCGS website for every answer I didn't know. No guessing
Valued Member
United States
343 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2018  9:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sosicoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Mrzllewellyn, hmmmm it seems like you are the one & only contestant who got all the production years of the coins right. You used high tech resource ( PCGS) , I used traditional (books- the Red Book) was the book that helped me the most). You used certainty, I incorporated guessing. It would be nice to know what the other contestants used.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3479 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2018  9:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MikeF to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cool contest! I hope somebody plans to post the correct answers.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1899 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2018  9:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mrzllewellyn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sosicoin I didn't say that I just told you research and know the coin and varieties leaves no guessing
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10548 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2018  10:45 pm  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I hope somebody plans to post the correct answers.

I'm sure the correct answers will be posted on Tuesday after the final standings are announced.
"Oh, cruel fate, to be thusly boned. Ask not for whom the bone bones. It bones for thee."
-Bender B. Rodriguez
"Just because you're paranoid don't mean they're not after you."
-Kurdt Kobain
"Language is the source of misunderstandings."
-Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Pillar of the Community
United States
1750 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2018  12:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, I'll post all the answers on Tuesday.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10248 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2018  12:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cool contest Zurie! Thanks for your contributions and congrats on 1k posts!
Valued Member
United States
343 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2018  03:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sosicoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi, Mrzllewellyn. No offense intended. Just thankful that Zurie is giving a contest for everyone who joins to enjoy. Well, the result will be out after last day of submission (Tuesday). At least, the others will have ideas to use PCGS and/or Red Book, plus whatever resources they want to use. So, have fun everyone.
Valued Member
United States
156 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2018  09:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jason39305 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not to 50 posts yet, I did enjoy researching the reverses of these coins though.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1750 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2018  11:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The contest is officially over, and here are the winners!

Congratulations to Mrzllewellyn for a perfect score, impressively submitted less than two hours after the contest started.

Spruett001 takes second place with 14 out of 15 correct.

SilverDollar2017 and nss-52 tied for third place with 13 correct, and SilverDollar2017 graciously offered to pass his prize on to the next in line, so nss-52 will receive the third prize.

It looks like the toughest date to identify was the 1891-CC Morgan spitting eagle, and the next hardest were the 1878-S Morgan long nock and the 1814 Bust half E/A.

But given how well everyone did who entered, I have decided to give an honorable mention prize to the non-winning players, including BStrauss3, Mister Kairu, sosicoin, and YNumismetals Collector. If any of you want to receive a proof pre-1960 silver Roosevelt dime, just PM me with your address and I will put it in the mail.

Here are the answers to the contest:

1. 1937-D Buffalo nickel, 3-legged
2. 1859 Indian Head cent
3. 1946 Walking Liberty half dollar, DDR
4. 1794 Liberty Cap large cent, no fraction bar
5. 1935 Connecticut commemorative half dollar
6. 1853 Seated Liberty quarter, arrows and rays
7. 2000-P Sacagawea Cheerios dollar
8. 1883 Liberty nickel, no cents
9. 1891-CC Morgan, spitting eagle (VAM-3)
10. 1814 Capped Bust half dollar E/A (O-108)
11. 1861-S Liberty Double Eagle, Paquet reverse
12. 1945-P Jefferson nickel DDR
13. 1878-S Morgan, parallel arrow fletch, long nock
14. 1922 no D Lincoln cent, die pair 1 reverse, die crack through O
15. 1905-O Barber dime micro-O

Thanks again to everyone who participated! Hope you had as much fun as I did putting this contest together!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1899 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2018  12:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mrzllewellyn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I really enjoyed it thank you. I learned a lot. And have learned from past things that need research I need to do it fast or the wife gets mad. Thank you it took about a hour 21 mins to get all my answers and I used PCGS for all of them I didn't know and I knew 7 off hand which was amazing to me that I have learned that much from all of you guys on here thank you for the fun!
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.32 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05