Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Opionions welcome # Cross over dangers 1965, 66,67 SMS cameo Lincoln Cents  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
335 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2018  10:36 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add luvmyCAM to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello all, gonna be a hot one today in NE Kansas and fittingly I have a hot question. I've assembled a poor mans set of SMS cents with the cameo designation recently and 2 of them are NGC slabs and one PCGS. Most of my coins are PCGS, I personnaly prefer their clear holders over NGC white. My eyes just like the aesthetics of PCGS holders.
But...from what little I have been able to find on the subject of SMS cameo cent crossovers I'm reluctant to switch the two NGC into PCGS for fear of coming up with a non cameo designation.
Any Opionions on who is tougher? In my opinion the NGC coins present much more (very much more) frost and shiny proof surface than the PCGS example.
Has anyone crossed these type coins in the past? and is their a probability the cameo designations would be lost?
Im stuck. I'm old enough to know 2 birds in hand is better than 3 in the bush but would prefer all 3 in PCGS holders. Any input will be appreciated.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15494 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2018  11:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
PCGS is most often easier on the grading for these issues. NGC seems to have a tighter opinion of Cameo designations. So if NGC says they have the cameo, there is a much better than average chance of PCGS agreeing (or maybe upgrading).
Pillar of the Community
United States
8770 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2018  11:28 am  Show Profile   Check Crazyb0's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Cammy, a Poorman's set is NGC!

Just the opposite for me, like NGC, and on my limited budget, seems what I get hold of. Got a set of Jefferson proofs PF66-68(1957-68), mostly in NGCs, but way I gotta look at it, best I can do.

You always take that crossover risk, Mox is probably right since PCGS isn't quite as liberal with lablings. It is after all your collection, you gotta be satisfied...or not!

Now come the "buy the coin, not the slab" folks....

Edited by Crazyb0
06/16/2018 11:30 am
Valued Member
United States
335 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2018  11:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add luvmyCAM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
10-4 , am I able to give instructions not to break open the slab unless the cameo designation would be granted/ transferred? I don't know what it is about SMS cents but I love them. Mox I agree with your opinion about NGC coins, just from the 8 NGC variety coins I have they do appear stronger than PCGS (no pro but to me their better eye appeal). Crazybo I also agree, the worst I could do is leave well enough...but it bugs me not having all 3 in the same clothes. I'm lucky to have gotten these at under book, the 65 found me in a brief bidding war at the last few hours it was on the block.
Crimany, have you seen what these babies go for in SMS 66 cameo and above? I had to scan auctions for 15 months for these in low grade/prices. The 1965 example is a sorta crappy strike but does show the frost. At coin shows I rifle through the SMS sets and can't keep from buying them even though none show cameo. Has anyone on the forum cherrypicked a set with a cameo cent?
Im rambling...no ruminating. Ok any more comments are surely welcome. It appears I'm looking for assurances :) and in this area I might better play it conservitely as maybe there ain't any?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
26599 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2018  12:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Boy that '67 is a killer!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
15022 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2018  12:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
NICE COINS!
Lincoln Cent Lover!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2261 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2018  12:59 pm  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Beauties!
http://goccf.com/t/303774
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Valued Member
United States
335 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2018  1:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add luvmyCAM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, These things really light up my frontal cortex. Having all 3 is a treat. I'm getting kind of burnt out on die varietys and am starting to wade into traditional waters. Not knocking die varietys, just fascinated by toning and strike of the 60's and 70's proof coins.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
15022 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2018  01:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Then you should enjoy this one!

Lincoln Cent Lover!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
15022 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2018  01:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And this one too:

Lincoln Cent Lover!
Valued Member
United States
335 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2018  08:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add luvmyCAM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Beautiful toning on both, the first one is awesome. In the pictures it looks SMS 67RB and the other looks 67 also. Never saw a SMS RB in a high grade like yours, aint they great? There's stacks of them at coin shows and the sets sell for around ten bucks I love going through them. I always buy one to be polite, they know I'm picking for cameo but put up with me when I set one or two aside for purchase.
Those two look mighty sweet unslabbed.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.51 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05