Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

How to help my 6 year old collect coins.  

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Canada
2 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2018  7:28 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add grahamp to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
So long story short, I was an enthusiastic Canadian penny collector in my early/mid teens. Both pure volume, and trying to collect all the years between 1920-1990. I finished this collection (just one from every year not every error variation etc.), I remember being so excited when I bought the 1923 for $30 to finish the set and feeling like I was big shot collector. Anyways got seduced by hockey cards and collected those for several years before losing interest in both hockey and collecting in general.

Well my son has an obsession with coins and money in general, he stacks counts studies coins and bills everyday. I dug our my penny collection which he loves and now wants to collect nickels. We went to the coin store in Regina where he bought a small bag of 1940’s and 50’s nickels. Anyways I am curious how to get him into it so it is fun and has the thrill of discovery that I enjoyed, but I can’t figure how to to do that. I seems that you can buy a set of 1920-2018 poor condition nickels on eBay for not a whole lot. But that hardly seems like collecting. I realize this seems like a ridiculously easy question but I don’t know how to help my son collect coins. Thanks
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15559 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2018  7:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Take him to a Coin show. Give him his own budget to spend.

I'm guessing dealers will GIVE him so many coins you'll need a little more air in the tires
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1655 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2018  7:44 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i would suggest going to the bank and asking for customer wrapped rolls of nickels. You probably won't find every date you will need but it certainly is exciting to go through rolls and put them in a book.. You may end up either buying some key dates, or seeding some rolls with those key dates, but I imagine it will be fun either way, best of luck.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
26694 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2018  7:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My dad was a collector and I hopped right on at age 8, still going strong 60 years later. Tried with limited success to get my son interested during the 8-13 age period but it never stuck, did my best. The collecting instinct is something you're born with, I think. Good luck!

to the CCF!
Learn More...
United States
58002 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3882 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2018  1:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To the Forum.
Valued Member
Canada
199 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2018  2:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Quatchi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was about that age when I began collecting coins (I collected cards as well). I was always competitive with my brothers to see who could find the oldest coin while at the same time, watching for silver coins in circulation. Dad always encouraged us to actively look for and keep anything older than 1970.
I was hooked at around 12 years old when one day, I went to a local flea market and met a coin dealer. Up until that point, I had no idea that people took coin collecting that seriously. For years after that, I saved as much money as I could and looked forward to every Sunday so that I could go to the flea market and buy more coins. Eventually my brothers' interest in the hobby tapered off, but mine remained strong.
I guess what it boils down to is exactly what Coinfrog said: "The collecting instinct is something that you're born with".

One piece of advice to encourage your son when he gets a little older (9 or 10?) would be to pick him up a Charlton catalog (even an old one would suffice!). If he's anything like I was, he'll be glued to it for a long time!
Valued Member
Canada
481 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2018  2:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alex A to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice, it sounds like your son is a budding collector!

Here are a few more suggestions:
1. Have him ask friends and family members to save coins. It is amazing what other people will come up with once they know your son is collecting.
2. Pick up some free collector coin cards from coin shows or periodically from the mint. You can get these going back to 1999.
3. When your son is ready look into coin albums he can use to organize his collection.

Best advice last: have fun!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1540 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2018  3:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nfine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Step one is going to be getting your grandchild(ren) to understand the pieces of paper and chunks of metal you give them have value.
Remember, what the Dormouse said.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1932 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2018  6:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, as mentioned above a few times, let him correlate an older coin with price/value by getting him a Charlton for birthday or Xmas, as a little "extra" gift.
Valued Member
Canada
138 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2018  09:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vonigohcr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was about that age when my grandfather gave me a gold Sovereign from my birth year. I was hooked. I helped him catalogue his set and we discussed the various holes in his collection and how he should go about filling them.

The key I think was being treated like an adult; my opinion counted... A big thing for a 6 year old... In reality, my grandfather looked after the Sovereign until I was older but it did come to me. That said, he and I planned the evolution of his collection and I felt part of it. His experience also helped me focus what I collect.

As mentioned above, give him a budget to purchase coins. Help him plan... if he is going after an expensive coin, help him save from the budget to get there and I fully agree with access to some reference material.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1210 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2018  11:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add papeldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First off to the site.

As to your question, all the answers so far are all good advise to follow new people that show an interest need help to keep active in collecting.
I think they have to be interested in collecting coins to begin with other wise all help is for nothing.

I never received any positive comments from my parents or anyone else in my family when I first started collecting coins. They all told me they would never be worth anything but change, but I didn't care if they would have value I liked trying to collect every year.
Except for the lady that gave me all the large cent coins from 1911-1920 when I was 8 years old, I was hooked and still am.
Happy Hunting
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2061 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2018  4:24 pm  Show Profile   Check Wade's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Wade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
At his age I would be tempted to take a look at world coins, by the pound on eBay, or digging through dealer's bins (5 for a $1 - can't go wrong)

The variety (missing from Canadian decimals) would be a bit more fun, and hold his attention, compared to collecting 70 nickels that all look the same.
Valued Member
Canada
426 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2018  08:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TheBurnz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would first get him a Charlton book and have him familiarize with prices and varieties in the subject he likes.

Look for coin clubs in your area, http://www.reginacoinclub.com

Go to local coin shows and auction viewings.

Enjoy
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2266 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2018  09:08 am  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
with Wade. Getting a 5lb eBay lot of world coins and going through it, figuring out what country it’s from and putting it in a 2 by 2 and labeling it. That would have definitely held my attention at 6!

As going through world coins I have Numista open on my smartphone. Nice to quickly reference what you have.
https://en.numista.com/
http://goccf.com/t/303774
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Canada
2 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2018  10:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add grahamp to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thankyou for the replies! The world coins are a really good idea. Thanks again for the warm welcome everyone.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.86 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05