Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2018 Puzzle Coin - Connecting Canadian History - 1866 -1916

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2594 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2018  7:07 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add MoneyPenney to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
The RCM is coming out with a new puzzle coin similar to the Canada 150th puzzle coin that show provincial emblems. Same price - $1867 and same mintage of 800. To be released to public June 30 and available on June 23 for VIP members of CC&C.

From Canadian Coin & Currency:

Quote:
When the first Puzzle Coin set came out in 2017 with a mintage of just 800 sets, demand far exceeded supply and the market value rose dramatically. Now for 2018, the story of an evolving nation continues, with the same low mintage and an immediate sell-out predicted. The central $50 coin presents Canada's original parliament buildings which stood from 1866 until the great fire of 1916. Surrounding this are are 13 $20 puzzle piece coins, each presenting an iconic sepia tone snapshot of Canada during this formative era. A first ever triple effigy of Queen Victoria, King Edward VII and George V is featured on the obverse.

Like pieces of a larger puzzle that is the story of Canada, the reverse design by artist Tony Bianco reflects on the Canadian experience during its first five decades from the eve of Confederation to the devastating fire on Parliament Hill. Engraved maple leaves and keys serve as a unifying element across all 14 coins, including the 13 puzzle-shaped pieces that form the outer ring. On the reverse of these interlocking pieces, a touch of metallic gold colour frames a sepia-toned reproduction of an original photograph from the collection of Library and Archives Canada. Each of these images represent a different theme, including:

- Sir John A. Macdonald, the first Canadian prime minister and the Statesman of a New Nation;
- the Northwest Mounted Police established in 1873;
- Canada's tradition of agriculture in Sowing for Tomorrow;
- the Klondike Gold Rush of 1896;
- the forests and loggers that contributed to Building Canada;
- Canadian Pacific Railway Locomotive No. 374,
- the Iron Horse Across Canada;
- Sir Wilfrid Laurier, a prime minister known for The Art of Compromise;
- Canada's 8th governor-general and his wife, Lord and Lady Minto, skating in Winter on the Rideau Canal;
- a horse-drawn Royal Mail cart; the Fishery tradition on Canada's coasts; S.S. Virginian,
- a steam-powered transatlantic liner Arriving in Canada;
- the totem poles of Alert Bay, B.C., that are a cultural representation of First Peoples;
- and the westward journey of settlers in Westward Bound.
Edited by MoneyPenney
06/19/2018 7:12 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2594 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2018  7:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MoneyPenney to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I expect an advanced notice email from RCM reps this week.
Valued Member
Canada
186 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2018  10:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add YesOrNo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I saw two images of the puzzle coin on CC&C website arround noon. One of which showed a wooden box displaying this coin.

Same as the 2017 one, there are 13 coins in circle and one in centre.

Each of the 13 coins feature a historical figure or an event, which is depicted in an oval shaped space on each coin, and gold plated.

The center coin features the parliament, but not the same as the 2017 coin. Maybe the parliament in 1916? The center coin also has "1866-1916" and "2018" on it.

When I visited the same page again this afternoon, the two images were gone.
Valued Member
Canada
186 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2018  10:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add YesOrNo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On one hand, I liked what I saw. On the other hand, I don't like recycled coins. Also, $1,876 is expensive for 0.5 kg of silver.

While my brain was debating pros and cons, my right hand quietly entered payment info and submitted an order.

Nevertheless, I don't like the limit of three per household. I imagine CC&C is saying this to everyone, "please buy three and sell the other two on eBay!"
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2594 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2018  03:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MoneyPenney to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Nevertheless, I don't like the limit of three per household. I imagine CC&C is saying this to everyone, "please buy three and sell the other two on eBay!"

CC&C is probably anticipating lower demand for the coin so they are allowing people to buy more than one.

It is unlikely people are going to buy extra coins to flip on eBay because expensive cards are hard to move.

For me it is a pass. Not interested in Sepia Toned photo reproductions.

I suppose the RCM had to make the most of the planchets used in last year's Canada 150 set. Like the RCM re-using the planchets from the Pysanka coin for the balloon and UFO coins.
Edited by MoneyPenney
06/20/2018 03:19 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
604 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2018  04:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Looney4Numi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
While my brain was debating pros and cons, my right hand quietly entered payment info and submitted an order.

lol

Sometimes my brain is the last to know, too.

Nice to know I'm not the only one who suffers from trigger finger...
Valued Member
Canada
186 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2018  06:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add YesOrNo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is one image I previously saw:

Pillar of the Community
Canada
882 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2018  8:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add New1954 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
NOPE....I was so tempted to press the buy button but pulled back immediately when I saw "3 per household"!!

850 mintage and 3 are allowed which tells me that Bromberg will get most of the allocation of these puzzle coins.

CC&C has a limit of one per household for the 3 coin five ounce murano glass coins though. Funny......And, the RCM has no limits on how many sets one can buy. Go figure.
Edited by New1954
06/20/2018 8:42 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2594 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2018  9:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MoneyPenney to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another money grab by the RCM with a set so similar to the Canada 150 set. Nothing innovative with this one. Just recycling with different images.

Hard to justify spending $2000 for something the same.
Valued Member
Canada
368 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2018  9:51 pm  Show Profile   Check jimper's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jimper to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This will definitely be on the coin show with Mr Bromberg on the shopping channel. Probably have an allocation of half of them or so.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
882 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2018  07:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add New1954 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is my prediction and I know I have a 50/50 chance either way of being right or wrong:

RCM will send out a special advance notice for this puzzle coin stating the urgency in buying this puzzle coin with a "one per household limit" and have an immediate sellout creating a little frenzy. CC&C will unveil the coin on June 23rd with another advance notice to VIP's and then Bromberg will go on the Shopping Channel on June 30th, letting us know that this puzzle coin sold out within minutes at RCM. People will probably buy because the shopping channel will offer many options on monthly payment plans.

We will all have to wait for the results.
Edited by New1954
06/21/2018 07:08 am
Valued Member
Canada
368 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2018  08:24 am  Show Profile   Check jimper's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jimper to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@New1954

I believe that you're 100% write. This happens all the time when he is part of the coin design, or his idea. When the RCM and Mr Bromberg are in it together, coins always sellout within minutes because he gets the majority of them to sell at his store and TSC giving the public that it is a hot item and you better buy before their all gone. This is a broken record with them.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
606 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2018  12:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Electrum to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Disingenuous sales tactics for the uninformed viewer
Pillar of the Community
Canada
6498 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2018  10:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silveroid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would say like this:

The coin looks good (however I don't see exact design - it blurred)

But the second coin, right after year absolutely un-necessary, it literally "kills" the specialty of the first coin. And this is not $100 item.

The coin of the 2017 supposed to be expensive, unique, low mintage and desired.
And now the second comes.....immediate profit for RCM and value lost through the years, for the second coin - for sure.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2594 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2018  5:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MoneyPenney to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Canadian Coin And Currency has sent advanced notice for this puzzle coin and 2 other June 30 releases. The other coin releases are a 3 coin QE subscription and a 2 coin animal GITD Convex subscription.

Strange, CC&C sent advance notice ahead of the RCM. They probably had a hand in designing the coins.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
604 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2018  11:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Looney4Numi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
2 coin animal GITD Convex subscription.

I like the second coin,"Moonlit Tranquility."
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 2.59 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05