Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

The Case of the Confederate Half Dollar - Perry Mason  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1051 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2018  5:36 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I saw a fun episode of Perry Mason last night. The plot revolved around the attempted sale of a Confederate half dollar. I think there was only one specimen of that coin available in the late '50s when the show was taped - the Newman specimen. In the show, a collector was desperately trying to buy the coin for the unheard-of price of $60,000. He also discussed his 1913 Liberty nickel, which he had purchased for an astronomical $22,000 a year earlier. Another coin discussed was his "Colonial Copper Cent", which he place into his pocket after Mason inspected it.

In one scene, Paul Drake is standing on a street corner casually flipping the Confederate coin in the air and catching it. He did this several times. Also, every time Perry Mason was handling the rare coins he and the collector were rubbing the coins with bare hands and standing them on edge to confirm authenticity.

I was having a nice laugh throughout the episode and enjoyed it quite a bit.
Still gathering small piles of copper and silver.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15470 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2018  6:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've never seen that episode. Sounds like a fun watch.
Pillar of the Community
United States
757 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2018  6:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thecoinguy1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"Like"
"When a strong man, fully armed, guards his house, his possessions are safe."
- Luke 11:21
Learn More...
United States
57780 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2018  11:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I will have to be on the lookout for that one. Thank you for the commentary!
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
14411 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2018  11:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Now that my memory has been activated, I do have some recollections of that particular episode of Perry Mason, when it was originally broadcast on B&W TV.
I had an encyclopedia, that had an article on numismatics, and the Confederate Half Dollar was pictured.
That is why I remembered that particular episode of Perry Mason.

Now, that must give you some idea of how old I may be !

I think that I will ramble off now to Utube, and find the Perry Mason TV theme music.
May even make an attempt to find the old Maverick (with lyrics), and the Bonanza TV theme music while I am at it !
Edited by sel_69l
06/21/2018 11:52 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
948 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2018  12:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alpha2814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I used to watch Perry Mason every day when I was in college, had to look this one up. It's "The Case of the Wooden Nickels", season 8 episode 12 (Dec 10, 1964). It doesn't appear to be streaming on-demand anywhere but it will certainly come around again.
Working on: Franklin halves (now complete!), Peace dollars (three to go), US type (Bust era), and just started Chinese pandas.

"Fear is the enemy of will. Will is what makes you take action; fear is what stops you, and makes you weak."
-- Sinestro to (my avatar) Hal Jordan, "Green Lantern" (2011)
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1051 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2018  1:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, Alpha. So it was a later episode than I thought. In 1964, there would have been 3 or 4 known examples of the Confederate half. And I believe that's the sum total now.
Learn More...
United States
57780 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2018  2:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is on weekdays at 9 AM ET and weeknights at 11:30 PM ET on most MeTV stations. Set your DVR.

https://www.metv.com/shows/perry-mason
Pillar of the Community
United States
2719 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2018  2:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add srs77 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You can watch the episode online here....

The Case Of The The Wooden Nickels
ANA Member 3171274
Vamming? What's that?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
948 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2018  3:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alpha2814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for that link srs77! I just scanned through and stumbled onto a line mentioning "the 4th confederate half dollar". Looks like someone did their homework.
Working on: Franklin halves (now complete!), Peace dollars (three to go), US type (Bust era), and just started Chinese pandas.

"Fear is the enemy of will. Will is what makes you take action; fear is what stops you, and makes you weak."
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
948 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2018  02:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alpha2814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Watched the whole thing. That was fun. Standard Perry Mason -- tight script, competent acting, who-dunnit to the end. But the whole story was around coins and the writer/s knew their stuff.

Bedrock of the Community
United States
16655 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2018  07:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lots of other TV shows where coins are discussed a lot. Dennis the Mennis is one show where coins are shown a lot. Many other TV shows have coins handled with bare hands all the time.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
3238 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2018  5:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ExoGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just watched the Perry Mason episode, and I thoroughly enjoyed it! There were more than enough nefarious and quirky characters to entertain and keep one guessing.

Here's a cool copy of a Confederate Half that probably dates back to the 1960's ....

Learn More...
United States
57780 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1051 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2018  8:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the photos, ExoGuy. I have a copy as well, purchased at Pamplin Park, Virginia, about 20 years ago.

Edit:
Comment removed.
Edited by Bump111
06/25/2018 1:44 pm
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.84 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05