Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Do you like steel cents?  

Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
United States
41 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2018  05:27 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add ThreeLui to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
How do you feel about the steel cent? Do you like them? Were they a bad idea?
Learn More...
United States
12935 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2018  05:39 am  Show Profile   Check Fuzzy317's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Fuzzy317 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I won an auction recently of steel cents that were not high quality, and I have been using them in store purchases.
<---- expert of nothing, student of everything. My Coin Galleries
Here is: My Want List.... to work on my: Birth Year Set

Circulating Dollar Coins ......Circulating Half Dollar Coins ...... Circulating Two Dollar Bills
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3018 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2018  06:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BStrauss3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not a fan for two reasons...

One is the common one, yes there was a war on, but the zinc plated steel got nasty pretty quickly.

The second is the numistmatic one - because of #1, so many have been replated, giving that fake shiny look. I really prefer my coins to have an honest circulation wear.
-----Burton
43+ year / Life ANA member (joined 12/1/1973)
Owned by four cats and a wife of 33 years (joined 1983)
Bedrock of the Community
United States
23039 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2018  07:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Do you like them?
I like the originals not the re-plated ones. I would like to own a ms67 or higher one day.

Quote:
Were they a bad idea?
No more so than the copper plated zinc cents from 1982-
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8273 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2018  08:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Blemish free MS examples are nice looking with good to great eye appeal . Unfortunately when they circulated they turned a medium to dark grey . A lot of them start to rust as the zinc starts to wear away .Not very pretty ! The fact that their only a one year composition makes them unique and desirable amongst Lincoln collectors .
As John points out a lot of them were reprocessed ( replated ) making them loose their appeal and value .
I have about a dozen nice Mint State 43's exhibiting all mints . And with NO exaggeration about 3,000 circs. At least 60% of which have no trace of rust .
Don't take life too seriously and remember it is just a passing fad ......
Michael Philip Jagger

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15613 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2018  09:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One year types are a must have for type set collectors. They are also part of the ever popular Lincoln series. Plus, there are those who complete coin sets of all the coins issued during WW2.

So they are needed in two strong collector sets, and one less commonly assembled.

But - Like the 1883 No Cent Liberty nickel, they are so easy to find in righteous mint state, that their price pressure begins at MS 67 and better.

As far as value is concerned, their abundance is such that none of us will live long enough to see much price change, except in the very highest grades.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16685 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2018  10:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have well over 4,000 of them. Many rolls of Uncirs. Also, trying to make complete rolls of each of the different types of replates. For example some are replated with Zinc, some with Tin, with Chrome and even Copper. What I don't like about them is how they break the continuity when in an Album. All Copper looking then those, then back to Copper looking. Almost tempted to Copper Plate some just for Albums. And for value, probably will never really be worth a lot.
just carl
Bedrock of the Community
United States
14054 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2018  1:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1. Yes I like them.
2. Yes they were a bad idea. The two are not mutually exclusive.

Problem is I'm not sure if they had a better option. No matter what they chose to use they would have had serious problems. Most better metals were either restricted or too valuable. those that weren't were either too light, or corroded too easily. Plastic was too light except for certain resins, but those were also restricted. I think with a little more time they might have gotten the glass to work, somewhat, but chipping would still have been a problem.
Gary Schmidt
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15613 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2018  1:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Many states used plastic sales tax tokens without difficulty and they held up better than the metal issues. It is very rare to find a plastic STT that shows wear, regardless of which of the three manufacturers produced them.

They may not have wanted to use a material for a cent when states were using them for 1, 2, 3, and 5 Mills (a mill being worth 1/10th of one cent).
Pillar of the Community
United States
1283 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2018  1:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like them as something unique, and I don't know how to classify it as a "bad idea". They did what they had to do.
Quote:
reprocessed ( replated ) making them loose their appeal and value
I don't mind the plated ones when they turn out like this.
Learn More...
United States
58050 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2018  2:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
1. Yes I like them.
2. Yes they were a bad idea. The two are not mutually exclusive.
Agreed.

The ones in my Lincoln Dansco are circulated and not reprocessed. I like how they look with the circulated copper around them.

The one in my 7070 is reprocessed; which came from a set that Littleton sent me with an order back in the 80s (I was like twelve, so no judging). It looks okay next to a red Memorial cent and has more sentimental value than anything.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
14054 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2018  12:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Many states used plastic sales tax tokens without difficulty and they held up better than the metal issues.

But sales tax tokens didn't have to work in vending machines. I haven't checked the references but I think most of the states had stopped using sales tax tokens by 1943 hadn't they?

OK I checked and I was mistaken. Of the twelve states that issued tokens ten were still using them in 1943.
Gary Schmidt
Edited by Conder101
06/22/2018 12:34 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2294 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2018  1:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Do you like them?

Yes, it's a part of our history.

Quote:
Were they a bad idea?

They were the perfect idea! They are a distinct symbol of America's war effort and how it pulled us together as a nation.

Steel was the only war material we had plenty of. Everything else was rationed.

BTW: Could you please show us a picture of that entire slab?
Edited by USSID18
06/22/2018 2:01 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3894 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2018  2:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Do you like steel cents?

Of course..

Rescue coin*
Edited by Dorado
06/22/2018 2:19 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
8839 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2018  2:46 pm  Show Profile   Check Crazyb0's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Of course, they're rusty, crusty and old...just like me!

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6131 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2018  2:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mark1959 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like them when they look like they were just minted......

My biggest fear is that when I die my wife will sell all my coins for what I told her I paid for them.

Working on Whitman Large Cent date set album 1793-1857 (57 holes filled of 64 total) now come the "toughies" - yikes!
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.82 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05