Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

How Far Back Can We Go? Fifth Edition!

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 314
Pillar of the Community
Belgium
1004 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2019  03:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1c5d7n5m to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1600: Battle of Nieuwpoort
one of the few dates that appears in all history book of the children in Holland and Belgium and is memorized by many
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Nieuwpoort

Jeton from Utrecht with a scheme of the battlefield and on the reverse the coat-of-arms of Utrecht

In all representations we look from a landview (Ghent and Brussels in our back) towards the North Sea (Oceanus Germanicus): Maurice his army is on the left flank having crossed the Yzer and the army of Alber is on the right

Pen drawing from 1600 wich the same representation of the two armies. It should be mentioned that the army of Maurice depended much on English and Scottish elite troops.

The States General led by van Oldenbarnevelt had commanded prince Maurice - who did not like the idea at all - to move with a 12,000 strong army west of Oostende in order to take the pirate nest of Dunkirk. However, the archduke Albert was prepared and moved with an equally sized army to meet the prince on the beaches just North-East of the small river Yzer (well known from the front during the trench warfare in 1914-1918). The battle was exhausting for both armies: more than 2000 casualties on both sides. In the end the army of Maurice was claimed victorious, but it was also severely beaten and weakened so that the Dutch/English forces could only retreat to Oostende.

Here is a second jeton from 1600: this one was made in Middelburg, Zeeland, showing on the reverse the weapons won from the enemy. The color of this copper piece is quite nice.

So the Battle of Nieuwpoort had no real winner, and the great danger and risk that van Oldenbarnevelt had caused for the army of Maurice, was the origin of a deep division and increasing rivalry between the two leaders. After decades of opposition and internal dispute this ended with the arrest and execution of Johan van Oldenbarnevelt in 1619.
The Battle of Nieuwpoort was one of the rare large scale encounters between armies in the open field and such type of encounter between the Spanish Netherlands and the United Provinces would never happen again; as we have seen the past days and we'll see next weeks, a much more standard military operation for those days was the siege (and capture) of a fortified city.

Below a painting of the battle fields (that would reappear as killing fields centuries later) by Sebastiaen Vrancx.

Valued Member
Norway
306 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2019  03:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add giljan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thaler, Saxony, 1600

I guess the three brothers are (from left):
John George: 1585-1656 Successor of his brother as Elector
Christian II: 1583-1611, Elector
Augustus: 1589-1615
Edited by giljan
08/16/2019 04:17 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12724 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2019  06:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is another Schilling from Polish-occupied Livonia, but dated AD 1600:

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Valued Member
Norway
306 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2019  06:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add giljan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Three Groschen, Poland, 1600

Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
2726 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2019  09:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've considered whether I should put this (apparently) overstruck wire kopek of Boris Godunov under 1599, 1600, or 1601; one of the strikes is from 1600/01, and the other is apparently 1599/1600.

I decided that 1600 is probably the safer option...

The main strike, from 7109 AM (1600/01 AD).
You can kind of see HOPθ at the bottom of the first picture; HO is short for Novgorod (mint), while Pθ is the date (109).

The other strike, tentatively attributed to 7108 AM (1599/1600 AD).

Yet again, I apologize for the terrible photos.
To be fair, the coin is rather tiny (15x12 mm and 0.65 grams).

Original thread for the coin - I'm not actually sure whether it should have been moved to the Ancients forum, since the date is pretty much exactly at the boundary.

I have (even worse) photos of another, non-overstruck, Boris Godunov wire kopek, dated 7107 AM (1598/9 AD); I will hopefully be posting it tomorrow (under 1599).
Pillar of the Community
United States
2359 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2019  10:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@giljan,very nice trojak from Bydgoszcz mint (of course, also nice thaler!). At this time, Bydgoszcz is putting mint mark B at the end of the reverse legends. We will also see the evolution of the ruffled collar on these trojaks. By this time it is almost comically large, extending nearly across the coin. In earlier 1590s we will see it much smaller.
Iger B.00.1.c(R1)

I have a gap for 1600 because I am looking for a Krakow trojak, the only Poland-Lithuania coin I am aware of which shows Sigismund facing to the left!
Edited by tdziemia
08/16/2019 10:42 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5920 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2019  3:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1600 -- Palatine Countship of Pfalz-Zweibrucken, 3 kreuzer:

Pillar of the Community
Belgium
1004 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2019  3:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1c5d7n5m to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1600 jeton from Bureau of Finances from Antwerpen, celebrating the "merry entry" of the Archdukes, Albert and Isabelle, the new rulers of the Spanish Netherlands in the city of Mons

Dugniolle 3501; van Loon I 544/531
Obverse:_ALBERT ET ISAB PAR L GRACE DE DIEV

Reverse: GECTZ DV BVREAV DES FINANCES 1600
AVSPICE CHRISTO
Valued Member
Norway
306 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2019  4:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add giljan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@tdziemia, thanks for the nice comments on my coins. My favourite area is Sigismund III and I am picking up some new knowledge from you.
I hope to get some more time in the near future to study all my Sigismund coins purchased at flea markets and dealers on my trips to Krakow.
Pillar of the Community
Belgium
2832 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2019  5:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petrus to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
1600 -- Palatine Countship of Pfalz-Zweibrucken, 3 kreuzer:

Nice kreuzer!
Learn More...
United States
76200 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2019  11:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The momemntum is good. Keep it going through the 16th century!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2359 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2019  05:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll start the 1500s with this 1599 Livonian schilling from the reign of (who else?) Sigismund III

Edited by tdziemia
08/17/2019 05:29 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12724 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2019  06:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hers is an Albus from the German Archbishopric of Trier dated AD 1599:

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
2359 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2019  07:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Neat coin. I was trying to figure out where Trier appears in the legend, and noticed this type is not in Numista (later type under the same archbishop is there)...so you have an opportunity to add it.
Pillar of the Community
Belgium
1004 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2019  08:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1c5d7n5m to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1599 Jeton from Middelburg, Dugn.3470

'Resistance of Maurits against Mendoza in the Bommelerwaard'

Obv. Mozes with Aaron and Hur on mountain top
army of the Israelites in battle with Amalek VICTORIA A DEO PRECIBVS

Rev coat-of-arms Zeeland CVI TRIBVTVM TRIBVTVM

Maurice of Nassau and Francisco Hurtado de Mendoza were measuring their strength for years; taking a city in one place loosing an other stronghold at another place. In general Maurice outperformed Mendoza, so that during the ten years of Maurice (1590 - 1600) much of the territories conquered the previous decade by the brilliant Alexander Farnese, were won back by the United Provinces.

Mendoza was not admired, however and notorious for his often brutal and ruthless way of acting. Below a painting of the general.

Page: of 314 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.57 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05