Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

How Far Back Can We Go? Fifth Edition!

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 315
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12740 Posts
 Posted 08/23/2019  06:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a Livonian Schilling dated AD 1593:

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Valued Member
Norway
308 Posts
 Posted 08/23/2019  07:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add giljan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1/2 Batzen 1593, 2 Kreuzer, German states Solms-Lich

Pillar of the Community
United States
2362 Posts
 Posted 08/23/2019  08:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I really enjoy the comments on the sigismund coins I'm posting

Thank you. I am still learning, and I revised the attribution on one of your 1594 coins. In 1594 there were very strong similarities between some of the Poznan and Wschowa types.
For 1593, your first is Malbork mint. I am posting mine below, same type.
Your second is Poznan mint, Iger P.93.2.d, similar to yesterday's coin with "SIGI 3".

Pillar of the Community
Belgium
1004 Posts
 Posted 08/23/2019  3:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1c5d7n5m to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1593, jeton from Dordrecht 'Siege and capture of Geertruidenberg'

Geertruidenberg was a small town but heavily fortified and thus an important stronghold overlooking the "Bergse Maas", the most Southern of the big rivers that flow from East to West into the North Sea, making the natural division between the Southern and Northern Provinces of the Netherlands

Prince Maurits achieved a surrender of the city by the technique of a circumvallation linion, chaining together a sufficient number of war ships to prevent any passage of food and arms over the river into the Maas; isolating the sieged city from relief forces.

Consequently, the general of the Spanish forces, Peter Ernst I van Mansfeld could not break through this iron curtain of the Dutch army which held the city in a firm grip. After three months the city surrendered in June 1593. From then on "the garden of Holland" with protected trade shipping routes would never again be threatened by the Spanish armies.

Below a map of the siege in which the strategy of a circumvallation linion by ships chained together on the Bergse Maas is made visible

Learn More...
United States
76282 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5930 Posts
 Posted 08/23/2019  10:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1593 -- Kingdom of Hungary, 1 denar:

Pillar of the Community
Belgium
1004 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2019  03:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1c5d7n5m to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1592 a late example of a "Philipsdaalder", Namur mint (mint master token = briquet)

The Philipsdaalder, named after the portrait of king Philip II of Spain, was the one ounce silver piece that dominated the monetary system of the Netherlands between 1557 and 1598.

Valued Member
Norway
308 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2019  04:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add giljan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't have any coins from Sigismund today, thus I have to post one from his father instead.
King of Sweden John III.
This is a Fyrk. ( 1/4 of an ÖRE )

Pillar of the Community
Belgium
2833 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2019  05:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petrus to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice daalder! I like such coins!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2362 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2019  06:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I also like that these coins of Philip were minted in such large number to make them affordable today. Thalers from Poland during the 16th century do not appear to have been circulating coins, and were only minted a few years (1564,1565,1580-83,1587-90). When they come up for auction, the selling prices are in the tens of thousands of dollars.
Whereas large silver from Spanish and Hapsburg states is very accessible to collectors.
The largest circulating Polish coins before 1600 were the 6 groschen coins of 1596-1600 we saw a few days ago (4.8 grams) and the 4 groschen coins of Sigismund August 1565-69 (4.3 grams).
I have another Malbork trojak of Sigismund today:

Edited by tdziemia
08/24/2019 06:51 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12740 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2019  07:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a Polish Schilling dated AD 1592:

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
2362 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2019  08:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coin!
The triangle and ring on either side of the cross at 12:00 reverse also identify this schilling to the Malbork mint.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12740 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2019  09:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok thx @tdz. That is good to know.
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2068 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2019  12:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add t360 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1592 Queen Elizabeth I of England

Sixpence

Mintmark tun

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5930 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2019  9:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1592 -- Kingdom of Hungary, 1 denar:

Page: of 315 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 2.12 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05