Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

How Far Back Can We Go? Fifth Edition!

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 314
Valued Member
Norway
306 Posts
 Posted 08/25/2019  05:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add giljan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Trojak, 3 groschen, Poland, 1591

Pillar of the Community
Belgium
2830 Posts
 Posted 08/25/2019  06:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petrus to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1 thaler
no date (1591-1611)
Christian II, Johann Georg I and August (1591-1611)
mint: Chemnitz
FRAT: ET.DU CES.SAXON.
FRATRES ET DUCES SAXONIAE
brothers and dukes of Saxen
CHRISTIAN.IOHAN: GEORG.ET.AUGUST
partnership of:
Christiaan II (1583-1611)
Johannes Gerorg I (1585-1656)
Gustaaf II Adolf (1594-1632) ?
KM # 15
forgery/replica/copy !!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12698 Posts
 Posted 08/25/2019  07:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a 4 Cavalli from the Italian City States of Naples and Sicily dated AD 1591:

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
2350 Posts
 Posted 08/25/2019  07:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Here is a 4 Cavalli
Four horses? I wonder where that originated? And nice to see another oldie from the Italian peninsula.
@giljan's trojak is Poznan mint Iger P.91.1.b, mine is Riga:

Edited by tdziemia
08/25/2019 07:14 am
Pillar of the Community
Belgium
1003 Posts
 Posted 08/25/2019  12:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1c5d7n5m to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Schilling 1592 Queen Elizabeth I of England

great shilling with a nice portrait !

the year has arrived to connect via coins three leaders that influenced in many ways history of the 1580ies and thereby the future of Western Europe and beyond
Philippe II of Spain
Queen Elizabeth I of England
William of Orange

below is a late "Prinsendaalder" minted in 1591 in Utrecht.
Obverse: William of Orange
Reverse: Crested helmet, which is why the taler is also called 'Gehelmde rijksdaalder"

<i>William of Orange </i>(also known as William the Silent) was in charge of the second and third Dutch revolt against Spain, which -respectively- started in 1575 and 1579. When he was assassinated in Delft by an aide of Phillip II, the young republic was in great danger; this has contributed to the idea to ask for help from Elizabeth I of England. Help was given in 1586 by sending the Earl of Leicester. This provoked two years later with the Spanish Armada to invade England, which failed. This short sequence of events probably explained why the Dutch-English (later with France triple) alliance succeeded.

below a portrait of Willam Prince of Orange by Adriaen Thomaszoon Key (collection of the Rijksmuseum Amsterdam)

William of Orange (the "father of the Netherlands") became immediately popular on coins then and now. Indeed "Prinsendaalders" are not cheap on auctions compared to other daalders with the same relative rarity. This particular piece is very dear to me and connected to a little anecdote. After loosing interest for coins between age 19 and 40, I saw it in the window display of a small coin shop in Stockholm. I was so curious about a Dutch daalder in Sweden that is sparked interested and started collecting coins again.

Edited by 1c5d7n5m
08/25/2019 12:28 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2350 Posts
 Posted 08/25/2019  2:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
After loosing interest for coins between age 19 and 40,

Very interesting how these things work. Also for me, I lost interest in coins between university and age 42. Then, while living in Belgium, a work colleague mentioned a coin auction in Brussels. I took my rather competitive 9 year old son with me, who ensured that we won a couple of medieval coins (one Brabant and one Poland if I remember correctly).
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5896 Posts
 Posted 08/25/2019  10:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1591 -- Kingdom of France, 1/4 ecu:

Pillar of the Community
Belgium
1003 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2019  05:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1c5d7n5m to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1590 another silver daalder from the United Provinces
the West-Friese daalder below was minted by the Province of West-Friesland and is also sometimes called daalder with "the man with the hat", a type that is similar to early 16th century German daalders from Saxony.

The West-Friese daalders were produced only in West-Friesland during the same period as the Prinsendaalders (see 1591); as they show the same crested type of helmet on the reverse. It is unknown who is represented by the portrait on the obverse.
Pillar of the Community
Belgium
1003 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2019  10:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1c5d7n5m to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
a few more jetons from 1590; an pair that illustrates the idea of an upgrade; http://goccf.com/t/347488

1590 Dugn.3256 Dordrecht 'Freedom of Religion'
Obv: 6 arms (the six provinces, Overijssel was not liberated yet) hold a column with the hat of liberty
Rev: 6 arrows held together by two hands

the hat of liberty and the bundled arrows are important symbols of the Dutch Revolt that were later used again on coins of the French Revolution which is the topic of another thread
http://goccf.com/t/351313
Learn More...
United States
76103 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Belgium
1003 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2019  5:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1c5d7n5m to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
one last jeton for today, memorizing one of the more spectacular events during the 80-years war: the capture of Breda

1590 Dugn.3255, jeton from Dordrecht 'the capture of Breda by the United Provinces'
OBV: Peat barge secretly opening in the night in the city of Breda
REV: Latin text mentioning the capture of Breda and the date
cIc . Ic . xc

the capture of Breda was the legend of a Trojan horse put into real practice: a secret mission prepared for years beforehand was to smuggle 75 Dutch soldiers into the well defended city of Breda with thick walls, powerful artillery and moats etc etc. The soldiers were hidden in the secret compartment deep in a peat barge that regularly brought fuel for house heating. So the guards of the water towers of the wall suspected nothing when they inspected the ship. Business as usual.

The capture of Breda was a turning point in the 80 years war; after the "ten years of Farnese" (1578-1588) during which large parts of the Netherlands were conquered by the Spanish army, Breda was the start of the ten years of Maurits, as we have seen on the story of jetons during the past weeks. The fortifications of Breda were strong and the city was well defended by a large Spanish/Italian garrison.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captu...Breda_(1590)

painting of the same event by Jacob de Vos

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5896 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2019  8:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1590 -- Kingdom of England, 6 pence:

Pillar of the Community
United States
2350 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2019  8:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@1c5d, that is an impressive combination of historical context, numismatics, and contemporary art!
Many thanks.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2350 Posts
 Posted 08/27/2019  05:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
By the time 1594 was posted some days ago, we covered all 9 mints in the Polish-Lithuanian commonwealth at which trojaks were produced between 1588-1601 during the early reign of Sigismund III . Here is the list of posted examples from all contributors: Bydgoszcz(1596,1598,1600), Krakow(1601), Lublin(1596), Malbork(1592-94), Olkusz(1594-7), Poznan(1591,93-4,1598), Riga(1591,1596,1598), Vilnius(1597), Wschowa(1595).

Before 1590, only trojaks from Riga and Poznan are common. Sigismund's bust is much different from later issues: his beard is shorter, and his collar is more modest. Here is 1589 Riga:

And Poznan:

Pillar of the Community
Belgium
2830 Posts
 Posted 08/27/2019  06:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petrus to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1 thaler = 48 penny
lion thaler
MO * NO * ARG * ORDIN * HOL *
moneta nova argentea ordinum Hollandiae
regular new silver money from Holland
CONFIDENS * DNO * NON * MOVETVR
confidens domino non movetur
steady faith in the lord
mint mark: rose (Dordrecht)
Dav. # 4856?

Is this a replica?
Page: of 314 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.53 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05