Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

How Far Back Can We Go? Fifth Edition!

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 323
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
5584 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2019  12:57 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
England - 1570 sixpence, Queen Elizabeth I:
Pillar of the Community
Belgium
1007 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2019  06:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1c5d7n5m to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
nice sixpence, NumisRob !

below a 1570 jeton featuring (as the jeton of yesterday) King Philip II of Spain (obverse) and Anna of Austria (1549 - 1580), his fourth wife (reverse). Philip and Anna married in May 1570 via a so called proxy wedding, as Philip was in Spain and Anna in Austria - without cars or airplanes a few months travel time. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anna_...een_of_Spain

A few interesting details:
- the jeton erroneously refers in the legend of the reverse to Isabella of Valois, Philip's third wife, who died in childbirth in 1568
- Anna, much younger than Philip, was originally "scheduled" to mary Philips' only son, Don Carlos, who died (not naturally) in 1568 - a major tragedy in the personal life of king Philip.

here is a portrait of Anna by the Dutch painter Antonis Mor while she traveled through the Netherlands on her way to her new husband:

Quote:
Yet here we see in this allegorical Belgia a reference to the future (1830?) Belgium?

very interesting point, tdziemia !

Belgium is indeed the name of a modern country created in the aftermath of the Napoleontic era, the creation of a "buffer state" in 1815 which split into a Northern part (The Netherlands) and Southern part (Belgium) in 1830.

But the name has a long history. The origin is Julius Caesar who describes Belgica as being a part of Gaul, bigger than current Belgium as it included parts of modern France, Germany and the Netherlands

This bigger Belgium is also often mentioned in the 16th and 17th centuries when the Burgundy Habsburg dynasty united the 17 provinces into one political and economical entity. The whole region of is often depicted in cartography as the LEO BELGICUS: head and shoulders representing the Northern Provinces (the future country of the Netherlands) and the body and legs being not only current Belgium, but also territories that now belong to Northern France, Luxembourg and Western Germany. Below an early example (1583 of) Frans Hogenberg (who was banned from the Netherlands by the duke of Alva and worked in Cologne).

And I want to end this post with splendid 1650 example printed in Amsterdam by Claes Jansz. Visscher, just 2 years after the end of the 80 years (1568-1648)which has split the magnificent lion in several pieces - up to present times. (Of course the poor animal peacefully dwells now in the great Zoo of Europe).

Also this LEO gives a nice summary of my story of 80 days: around the lion with its rich details of provinces and towns, one can read the legends around the portraits of quite a few important actors of this story: Philip II and the Duke of Alva, Alexander Farnese, William of Orange and his sons Maurits and Frederik Hendrik; François d'Alençon, Archduke Albert to name a few.

Still two days to complete my story of the Dutch revolt. Then I will rest for about 2 weeks far from any internet access.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2457 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2019  06:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congratulations on your 1,000th post, 1c5d!
And thank you for the well-illustrated answer on Belgia/Belgium .. and another great jeton.

My contribution for 1570 is my latest coin of Sigismund II Augustus, King of Poland and Grand Duke of Lithuania, 2 denars 1570.
Sigismund died in 1572, ending the Jagiello dynasty in Poland-Lithuania. He is linked to 1c5d's post as follows. His wife in 1570 (two previous had died) was Catharine of Austria, the younger sister of Anna who is shown in 1c5d's jeton.
There are two interesting numismatic features in his reign (1548-1572). First, unlike his father (Sigismund I) and his successor, Stefan Batory, coins of this reign are made almost exclusively at the Lithuanian mints. This includes the popular 1/2 grosz pieces we will see in about a week. No coins were minted at Krakow or Torun; Gdansk and Elbing minted silver coins only for a few years in the 1550s. Even more interesting is that coins bearing Sigismund II's portrait and the legend SIGIS AVG REX POL M D L (Sigismund Augustus,King of Poland and Grand Duke of LIthuania) are minted as early as 1545, which is 3 years before his father's death, and the beginning of his (Sig II) reign, while at the same time coins are minted in his father's name with SIGISMVND PRIM REX POLONIE (Sigismund I, King of Poland)! .

Edited by tdziemia
09/15/2019 07:28 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13063 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2019  07:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
here is a portrait of Anna by the Dutch painter Antonis Mor while she traveled through the Netherlands on her way to her new husband:

@1c5, can you please speculate on why she seems to have one hand that doesn't match her skin color? Is she maybe wearing a single glove a la Michael Jackson?
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6123 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2019  09:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1570 -- Kingdom of England, 6 pence:
Pillar of the Community
Belgium
1007 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2019  10:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1c5d7n5m to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Spence

on the painting of Anna by Mor (now in the Kunsthistorisches Museum in Vienna) the color of the glove perfectly matches the color of her traveling costume;

But, curiously, there is a second painting (exhibited in the Museo Nacional del Prado in Madrid) made in 1570 from queen Anna made by Bartolomé González : here the queen is wearing a royal white dress, but yet she wears a black glove her right hand

no idea what is the hidden meaning
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13063 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2019  11:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok @1c5, that is very interesting. I wonder if she had some sort of scar or deformity that led her to wear that glove.

My coin from AD 1570 is a Half Ore from Sweden:

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
2457 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2019  12:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I wonder if she had some sort of scar or deformity that led her to wear that glove.

These days one would guess she was hiding an embarrassing tattoo. Something like a heart with the name of some other duke or prince?

And I can't help commenting on the two nice Elizabeth coins on one day
Edited by tdziemia
09/15/2019 12:25 pm
Pillar of the Community
Belgium
1007 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2019  12:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1c5d7n5m to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Quote:
I wonder if she had some sort of scar or deformity that led her to wear that glove.

maybe it is an expression of mourning for the execution by the Spanish court of Floris of Montigny

Quote:
two nice Elizabeth coins on one day
Pillar of the Community
Belgium
2852 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2019  5:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petrus to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Silver 2 denars,
Sigismund II Augustus (1520-1572)
obverse:
knight riding left on horseback,
reins in left,
sword in right,
II (denomination) below;
reverse:
1570, crowned monogram;
Mint: Vilnius
Reference: Kopicki 3231, Gum# 595

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13063 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2019  5:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
maybe it is an expression of mourning for the execution by the Spanish court of Floris of Montigny

I'm inclined to agree--she had promised to intercede, but wasn't able to in time (or so I read on wikipedia). There seem to be multiple paintings of her at various ages, but none of those others include a covered right hand.
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2072 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2019  6:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add t360 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry, I have missed a lot of opportunities recently to post coins, mostly due to being too tired from work.

1570 Jeanne d'Albret or Joan III of Navarre

Teston

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13063 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2019  05:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@t360, we are glad when you can post your coins because they are so nice, but don't stress about missing some days.

Here is a 4 Groschen from Lithuania dated AD 1569:

-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
2457 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2019  06:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Me too (yours is more attractive; mine's been cleaned)
This year marked the beginning of the state called the Poland Lithuania Commonwealth, formalized by the Union of Lublin. Prior to this date, there was an informal or "personal union" between the two nations, as there was a single head of state for both the Kingdom of Poland and Grand Duchy of Lithuania since 1386.

The evolution of Sigismund's beard from short (1540s) to long and forked (1560s) is seen on his portrait coins (grosz, Gdansk trojaks, czworaks). Here is a painting by Lucas Cranach the Younger dated to the mid-1550s:
Pillar of the Community
Belgium
1007 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2019  10:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1c5d7n5m to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
very nice coins, t360 Spence and tdziemia !

1569 Cambrai, Spanish Netherlands
Daalder Maximilien de Berghes (1559-1570), title of Maximilien II

Delmonte 406
Obverse: helmed coat-of-arms of Berghes
Reverse: crowned imperial eagle of the holy Roman empire

not much can be seen on the coins of 1568-1571 that traces to an ongoing revolution

yet these were very troubled times in the Netherlands as the Duke of Alva had installed the "council of troubles" (Dutch: Raad van Beroerten, Spanish: Tribunal de los Tumultos, or French: Conseil des Troubles);. Hundreds of persons suspected of being involved in the first revolt against Spain (initiated around 1566) were condemned to death or ban from the country (possessions confiscated)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Council_of_Troubles

the most famous persons sentenced by the council were Lamoral, Count of Egmont and Philip de Montmorency, Count of Horn (arrested in September 1567 and executed in 1568), very popular leaders of the country who were in fact loyal to the king and in search for a diplomatic solution

William of Orange suspected that no negotiation was possible and escaped to the North to lead the Dutch revolt from that moment on
Page: of 323  Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.09 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05