Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

How Far Back Can We Go? Fifth Edition!

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 334
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13505 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2019  06:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I have a more mundane Polish grosz for 1533

At least it is two-sided, which is more than can be said for my Pfennig.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
United States
2579 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2019  8:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, but your pfennig has a dog on it, which more than makes up for any other deficiencies
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6440 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2019  10:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1533 -- Kingdom of Hungary, 1 denar:

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13505 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2019  05:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
your pfennig has a dog on it, which more than makes up for any other deficiencies

Here is a 2 Pfennig from the German Bishopric of Passau dated AD 1532:

Still uniface, but with a wolf this time.

-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
United States
2579 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2019  07:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another Poland 1 grosz/groschen/groat, Torun mint

Pillar of the Community
United States
899 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2019  11:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add EddieDiz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1532 K-B Hungarian Denar under King Ferdinand I.

1532 K-B under King Ferdinand I variant with the Zapolya style Madonna and rosettes in the legend instead of points.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6440 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2019  6:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1532 -- Kingdom of Hungary, 1 denar:

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6440 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2019  12:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1531 -- Duchy of Prussia, 1 groschen:

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13505 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2019  06:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a Pfennig from the Austrian State of Steiermark dated AD 1531. My third uniface coin in a row.

-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
United States
2579 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2019  06:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like the parade of Hungary denars this decade!(The parade of Lithuanian half groats will commence soon enough )
Another Poland grosz for 1531, this time Gdansk mint

Edited by tdziemia
10/24/2019 06:19 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
899 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2019  12:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add EddieDiz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1531 Hungarian Denar under King Ferdinand I with an eagle wings mint mark;Huszar 961,Unger 744o. It is difficult to see the eagle in the photo but it is at 6:00 under the Madonna. The obverse is very double struck. Ways to identify the eagle wings Denar are the reverse N's in the legend and an X over the crest.

Valued Member
Norway
329 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2019  5:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add giljan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Groschen, Prussia, 1531
Valued Member
Norway
329 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2019  04:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add giljan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Groschen, Poland 1530
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13505 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2019  04:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a Hungarian Denar dated AD 1530:

-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
United States
2579 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2019  06:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@giljan, that was a lovely 1531 groat!
An interesting connection among the 1531 and 1530 coins ... Albert of Prussia was the nephew of Sigismund I of Poland (his mother, Sophia Jagiello, was Sigismund's sister), and was elected Grand Master of the Teutonic Knights in 1511. After first battling against his uncle (1519-1521), he wound up pledging his fealty to Sigismund in return for being invested as hereditary duke of Prussia in 1525. He was also the first European sovereign to adopt Lutheranism as state religion (just 8 years after the beginning of the Protestant Reformation).

For 1530 I again have the same coin as @giljan (PRVSS obv instead of PRVS), and my last portrait coin of Sigismund I:

Edited by tdziemia
10/25/2019 06:39 am
Page: of 334  Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.11 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05