Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

How Far Back Can We Go? Fifth Edition!

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 343
Pillar of the Community
United States
2703 Posts
 Posted 11/15/2019  08:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I recall that you have a nice long run of these (all of them, I think, 1507-1511). We are now entering into the "earliest dated" years for this part of the world. I think 1509 for Vilnius (Lithania) mint though giedrius will know for sure. My 1509 Lithuania half groat is posted below. 1507 for Krakow (Polish Royal Mint). Silesia mints go back a little further: Glogow (1506), Leignitz-Brieg (1505) as best I can tell, though if anyone knows of earlier dates, it would be interesting to hear. I think only Pomerania (Szczecin mint) goes back to the 1400s (at least to 1489) with dated coins in the part of Europe which today is Poland

Edited by tdziemia
11/15/2019 09:05 am
Valued Member
Lithuania
343 Posts
 Posted 11/15/2019  12:57 pm  Show Profile   Check giedrius's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add giedrius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1509 - earliest year of dated Lithuanian coins. My coin with another type of Knight (with scabbard) and inverted E in MONETA, 31C in our book.
It's possible to find the 1508 Lithuanian half-groat in some catalogues and we included it into our book too like a pattern issue probably, but I'm not sure, is it an original coin. Three specimens known, one in Warsaw, second in Cracow museum, third in US private collection. It seems like the 19 century issue for rich collectors.

Catalogue of Lithuanian half-groats 1495-1529 http://goccf.com/t/282866
Pillar of the Community
United States
2703 Posts
 Posted 11/15/2019  4:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the comments. The 1508 looks very authentic ... except for the letter A, which is different from the A in all the coins posted here for 1509 and later (I did not check if it matches the letter A for coins of the preceding ruler).
Valued Member
Lithuania
343 Posts
 Posted 11/15/2019  4:42 pm  Show Profile   Check giedrius's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add giedrius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@tdziemia Yes, and strange, unique images of Knight and Eagle and M of unique type, never used on Lithuanian coins.....
A on the coins of former Grand Duke Lithuanian, Alexander Jagiellon, were the same like on all 1509 coins, f.e.
And coins of Alexander are undated, so there's another song.

Catalogue of Lithuanian half-groats 1495-1529 http://goccf.com/t/282866
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6743 Posts
 Posted 11/16/2019  12:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1508 -- Kingdom of Poland, 1/2 groat:

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13969 Posts
 Posted 11/16/2019  07:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Me too!

"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
United States
2703 Posts
 Posted 11/16/2019  07:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Triplets again:

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6743 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2019  12:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1507 -- Kingdom of Poland, 1/2 groat:

(my last coiin from Poland for this thread)
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13969 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2019  05:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
(my last coin from Poland for this thread)

Me too!

-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Valued Member
Norway
331 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2019  06:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add giljan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Half Groat Poland, 1507. Very weak "7" but I have concluded that it is a seven...

Pillar of the Community
United States
2703 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2019  06:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How considerate of the Polish and Lithuanian treasuries to have made so many of these half groat coins (1507 to 1565)for collectors 500 years in the future!
Also my last, and as mentioned upthread, the earliest dated coin from a mint under authority of the Polish crown. After this I switch to Brabant, but have far fewer dates than I have for Poland-Lithuania (where I am now up to 78 of 84 possible years in the 1500s). So I will be out for most of the next week.

Edited by tdziemia
11/17/2019 07:04 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13969 Posts
 Posted 11/18/2019  05:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a Half Batzen from the German Duchy of Bavaria dated AD 1506:

-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Belgium
2885 Posts
 Posted 11/18/2019  05:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petrus to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice bavarian coin!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1973 Posts
 Posted 11/18/2019  08:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Arkie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hungarian denar

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6743 Posts
 Posted 11/18/2019  4:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1506 -- Kingdom of Hungary, 1 denar:

Page: of 343  Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 3.93 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05