Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

How Far Back Can We Go? Fifth Edition!

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 342
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6690 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2019  12:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1505 -- Kingdom of Hungary, 1 denar:

(my last Hungarian denar for this thread)
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13919 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2019  04:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a Patard from the Netherlands Duchy of Maastrict dated AD 1505 (with Tournai counterstamp):

"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Learn More...
United States
79171 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
2687 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2019  7:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Here is a Patard from the Netherlands Duchy of Maastrict dated AD 1505 (with Tournai counterstamp)

Very cool coin! And reminiscent of the things posted by 1c5d a couple of months ago. I think we will see lots from this part of the world over the next month.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13919 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2019  8:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I think we will see lots from this part of the world over the next month.

-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Belgium
2884 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2019  05:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petrus to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Flanders, Brabant,
Mint Antwerp (lion in the cross)
Philip the Fair 1482-1506
double stuiver(4 groot) 1504
PHS * DEI * GRA * ARCH * AUSTE * DVX * BURG * B * Z *
Philipus dei gratia archidux Austrić dux Burgundić Brabantić etc
Philip, by the grace of God, Archduke of Austria, Duke of Burgundy, Brabant
(Z stands for 'the rest')
OMNIS * SPIRITVS * LAVDET * DOMINV * A * 1504
let every spirit praise the lord, anno 1504
Reference:
Van Gelder / Hoc 119-1
DM 269

Pillar of the Community
Belgium
2884 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2019  06:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petrus to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
sorry, a little bit late, but I just found this in my collection

Emperor Charles V (1500-1555)
Duchy of Brabant
Spanish Netherlands
1506-1555
1 stuiver
minted about 1504-1506
Mint: Antwerp
KAROL.D.G.ROM.IMP.Z: HI SP.REX:
KAROLUS DEI GRATIA ROMANORUM IMPERATOR ETC HISPANIARUM REX
DA: MIHI: VIRTUTEM: CONTRA: HOSTES: TUOS
Da mihi virtutem contra hostes tuos

Reference:
Van Gelder / Hoc 192-1
The Witte 680

Pillar of the Community
United States
2687 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2019  3:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've lost out on a couple of bids for Philip the Fair coins recently, but just landed this one, same as petrus' coin though with slight difference in obv legend ending DVX BVRG B (no "Z"). Seller's photos for now.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6690 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2019  6:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1504 -- Margraviate of Brandenburg, 1 groschen:

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13919 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2019  9:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Also similar to @petrus post for today:

-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
United States
2687 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2019  9:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice detail!
I'm guessing maybe you've got a patard/stuiver, rather than a double patard/ 2 stuiver?
No polylobe around the crown obverse, and a different kind of cross inside a polylobe reverse, just as in your earlier counterstamped coin.

Edited by tdziemia
11/20/2019 9:44 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13919 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2019  05:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes sorry @tdz. You are correct that my coin from yesterday is a Patard (from Maastricht).

For today, I have a Groschen from the German Electorate of Brandenberg (Berlin Mint) dated AD 1503:

-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
United States
2687 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2019  06:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice! These Brandenburg coins you and pepactonius have really have attractive designs.

I don't yet have a dated coin for 1503, but this year is in the middle of the date range (1500-1506) for this undated florin or Philipsgulden of the duchy of Brabant, Antwerp mint. There are dated versions of this coin from the last years of the 1400s (I have seen a sale of a 1499 recently), but they are quite rare, and fetch multiples of the price of the undated type. The reverse features an image of the apostle Philip, namesake of the duke.

Edited by tdziemia
11/21/2019 06:19 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6690 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2019  1:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1503 -- Margraviate of Brandenburg, 1 groschen:

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6690 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2019  12:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1502 -- City of Gottingen, 1 kortling:

Page: of 342 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05