Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Mercury Dime with mistake in year stamped - 1914-D?  

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

United States
5 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2018  3:47 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Cappyx to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I just joined community , I am looking for information on Mercury dime with a 1914 date and mint Mark D . This must be mistake , it say they did not start printing Mercury dimes until 1916 . Same as other Mercury dimes except date .
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
474 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2018  4:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bd251 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

A picture would be helpful. My guess is that it's a worn 1944-D.
Edited by bd251
06/25/2018 4:04 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7556 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2018  4:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@cappyx, first welcome to CCF. Second, yes pictures of both sides of the coin would be helpful. You are right that it isn't a '14--hopefully we can help you figure out if it is just worn or altered or what.
"It certainly strikes the beholder with astonishment, to perceive what vast difficulties can be overcome by the pigmy arms of little mortal man, aided by science and directed by superior skill." --Henry Tudor (the lawyer not the king)
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2265 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2018  4:35 pm  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the Forum. You’ve come to a great place to share and learn.

Pictures Please.

Here’s a link to help with uploading images:
https://www.coincommunity.com/forum...g-images.asp
http://goccf.com/t/303774
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Edited by chafemasterj
06/25/2018 4:36 pm
Learn More...
United States
57950 Posts
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2018  5:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cappyx to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Don’t no what it loooks like had to crop it
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
26671 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2018  5:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry, pic not sharp enough, please try again!

to the CCF!
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2018  6:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cappyx to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Learn More...
United States
12908 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2018  6:13 pm  Show Profile   Check Fuzzy317's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Fuzzy317 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It can take some fancy holding of coin, camera, and magnifying glass/loop, but I have seen some closeup pictures taken through a magnifying glass or a loop.
<---- expert of nothing, student of everything. My Coin Galleries
Here is: My Want List.... to work on my: Birth Year Set

Circulating Dollar Coins ......Circulating Half Dollar Coins ...... Circulating Two Dollar Bills
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16666 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2018  08:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't think Mercury dimes were minted in Denver in 1914 or not that the Mint knew of. A time traveler could have gone there, got a job at the Mint and made that coin just to irritate people in the present.
However, did you see these:

just carl
Edited by just carl
06/26/2018 09:02 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
7502 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2018  09:44 am  Show Profile   Check oih82w8's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add oih82w8 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
From the OP description, and less than discernable images...my summation would lead me to believe...Chinese fake/copy/replica.

The 1915 Mercury looks like a D.Carr fantasy piece.
oih82w8 = "Oh I Hate To Wait"
"I tell her coins keep me off the streets and out of the bars." Moe145
"WOO-SAA...WOo-SAa...Woo-Saa" (calm down)
"An individual who vacillates when there is need of action will find themself beyond the hope of future success."

My Virtual 7070 https://www.PCGS.com/SetRegistry/ty...album/142105
Edited by oih82w8
06/26/2018 09:45 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3882 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2018  09:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To the Forum.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4012 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2018  10:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks to me like it is an altered 1944 dime made to look like a 1914 dime.
See how the numbers line up and the extra space between the 9 &1.
Reminds me of the people who alter a 1944 cent to make it look like a 1914 cent.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
26671 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2018  10:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How you guys can make any sense out of those pics amazes me.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7502 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2018  4:13 pm  Show Profile   Check oih82w8's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add oih82w8 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe if I take my glasses off, I can see what JimmyD is seeing...(squints really hard making some not so pleasant faces) nope.
oih82w8 = "Oh I Hate To Wait"
"I tell her coins keep me off the streets and out of the bars." Moe145
"WOO-SAA...WOo-SAa...Woo-Saa" (calm down)
"An individual who vacillates when there is need of action will find themself beyond the hope of future success."

My Virtual 7070 https://www.PCGS.com/SetRegistry/ty...album/142105
Edited by oih82w8
06/26/2018 4:13 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3012 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2018  6:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BStrauss3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fake or altered.

Unlike some coins where patterns circulated for years, the 1916 redesign started very late, December 1915, when the mint mistakenly came to believe the MUST change the designs after 25 years not MAY. That's why the 1916 designs are uncommon, because minting started late in the year.
-----Burton
43+ year / Life ANA member (joined 12/1/1973)
Owned by four cats and a wife of 33 years (joined 1983)
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.87 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05