Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Are We On The Verge Of A Cashless Society?

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 188 / Views: 12,439Next Topic
Page: of 13
Learn More...
United States
86360 Posts
Valued Member
United States
345 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2020  07:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PacoMartin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Cash is King
https://cdn2.hubspot.net/hubfs/2752...522935607025

The calendar year 2008 was somewhat of a milestone for US banknotes, in that the number of circulating $100 bills (6.3 billion) caught up with the number of circulating $20 bills.

The subsequent increase in $100 banknotes in the last decade has some people calling for the re-introduction of the $500 banknote, or at the very least the introduction of a $200 banknote to match the Euro Area and Switzerland.

year	$20	$100
2018	9.4	13.4 million notes
2017	9.2	12.5
2016	8.9	11.5
2015	8.6	10.8
2014	8.1	10.1
2013	7.7	 9.2
2012	7.4	 8.6
2011	7.1	 7.8
2010	6.5	 7.0
2009	6.4	 6.6
2008	6.3	 6.3
Edited by PacoMartin
04/02/2020 08:09 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8765 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2020  09:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not intending to get political but the "bad guys" out there in this world would still need untraceable means of doing business. If somebody is doing illegal business, they certainly won't want a trail of electronic proof.
It's not only the bad guys you automatically think of.
There are probably just as many bad guys in this world who present themselves as good guys, who have handled more than a briefcase or two full of bribes, kickbacks and payoffs.
Those are the same powerful people who will not let a 100% cashless society exist.
They will however, always be glad to track YOUR business!
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Learn More...
United States
86360 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2020  10:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I Disagree.

Never underestimate the adaptability of the criminal mind.

There are already bad guys who have myriad ways to criminally acquire wealth electronically. If the world went cashless, they would be the benefactors as they are the ones the outlaws and "Cash is King, I do not want to be tracked!" people will turn to for assistance.

There is a rabbit hole you can go down, but I will not link it here...
Valued Member
Canada
124 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2020  2:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lakeman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I typically use debit/credit for 95% of purchases.. I will get cash out when going to a coin shop etc, but that's about it usually. Having said that, I sold a thing to a guy last week for $200 bucks cash.. In our neck of the woods, with the whole Covid-19 situation, most places of business have signs made up requesting only Debit/Credit transactions at this time! I didn't think I would see the day I couldn't use my cash to buy a slice of pizza, get gas or go to Tim Hortons....
Valued Member
United States
345 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2020  4:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PacoMartin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's not just "bad guys" that benefit from untraceable store of value. The "Cash in Circulation" of both the USD and EUR has inflated far beyond the transaction needs of the citizens of the currency area. As paper banknotes are used by people outside of the area, they are essentially buying secure paper for goods and services equal in value to the numbers on the paper.
Banknotes and coins in circulation per inhabitant in USD at exchange rate that year
 2018	 2008	1998	1988	1978	Country
$1417	$1168	$726	$470	$326	United Kingdom (3.74%/year)
$1924	$1444	$685	$554	$320	Canada (4.59%/year)
$5238	$2927	$1679	$870	$428	United States (6.46%/year)
$4230	$3324	$1759	$1300	$680	Germany/Euro (4.68%/year)
Over the last 40 years the increase in cash in the UK is much closer to the growth in GDP of the country.

It's often stated that governments would like to be able to trace every transaction for the purposes of tax collection and/or desire for control. In reality governments are very addicted to the profit they make on banknotes.

However, if small countries like Sweden and Norway do away with cash completely, citizens will still use Euro banknotes for transactions they want to be untraceable.

If China ever goes cashless, they will circulate large value banknotes from other countries among the criminal elite.
Edited by PacoMartin
04/02/2020 5:13 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1705 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2020  5:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alpha2814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
While "governments are very addicted to the profit they make on banknotes", cashless transactions often carry processing fees that go directly to banks and payment processors. They have an enormous profit motive to go cashless.

"Bad guys" is a rather subjective term. Remember Saturday morning cartoons and 50s sci-fi films? "We can't let this fall into the wrong hands!" What if *you* are the wrong hands?
Working on: Indian quarter eagles, Chinese pandas, and San Francisco tokens; upgrading my Peace dollar and US Type sets

"Fear is the enemy of will. Will is what makes you take action; fear is what stops you, and makes you weak."
-- Sinestro to (my avatar) Hal Jordan, "Green Lantern" (2011)
Valued Member
United States
345 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2020  8:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PacoMartin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sweden's new state-issued digital currency, the e-krona, under development now, should be less vulnerable to attacks — by being independent from global payment systems like Visa and Mastercard.

I realize that "bad people" is a very subjective term. The central bank is basically being funded by banknotes. It's not just the mafia that lives on banknotes, it's one of our primary institutions.

My own personal feeling is that our government now depends on this extra $100 billion from more Benjamins every year. It's a dangerous addiction that eventually will bite us in the butt. I don't want to see "cashless", I just want to see the increase get much closer to zero.

year $100 banknotes in circulation
2018 $1340 billion
2017 $1250
2016 $1150
2015 $1080

We make far more profit from the export of $100 bills than we do from the export of Boeing jets. That's dangerous because people may one day stop taking our pretty paper.
Edited by PacoMartin
04/02/2020 8:39 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3935 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2020  04:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fistfulladirt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here in Mi, some stores are refusing plastic and checks.
I will not do business with any shop that refuses cash.
When I listen to LED ZEPPELIN...so do my neighbors...
Roll hunting since '77
Dirt fishing since '72
Valued Member
United States
345 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2020  12:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PacoMartin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Checks are much more time consuming and subject to fraud than banknotes. Countries usually outlaw checks for years before the stock of banknotes in circulation goes down.
Valued Member
United States
226 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2020  11:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
... Countries usually outlaw checks for years before ...

Q/ There are countries that have outlawed checks ? Or, Czechs ?

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Valued Member
United States
345 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2020  7:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PacoMartin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hand written checks in some sense pre-date banknotes as we know them today.

Until the government started printing gold-backed banknotes, there often weren't not enough coins in circulation to do business properly. Similarly in the United Kingdom, more than 75 percent of the population never handled paper money, which was available mainly in large denominations and used by the upper classes. It wasn't until after World War I that British banknotes became fully backed by securities and thus more widespread.

By the early 1950s, Americans were writing more than 28 million checks a day—that means that nearly one in every six Americans was writing a check daily, or every American wrote one check weekly.The number of annual checks written peaked in 1995, with 49.5 billion.

Germany, Poland, Finland, Sweden, Namibia are some examples of countries that have banned the check.

Checks cost roughly 5x the price of electronic payments. So it is reasonable to believe that only countries that have banned checks will consider reducing the use of banknotes.
Learn More...
United States
86360 Posts
Valued Member
United States
345 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2020  07:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PacoMartin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I still think the most interesting experiment is in South Korea who will be abolishing coins in a few years. These T-money cards can hold up to US$410.

The two smallest banknotes (worth 82 cents and $4.10) will not be abolished, but their daily use should go down dramatically.

By not immediately threatening the circulation figures for the largest banknote (worth US$41) citizens can still store money in home safes or carry on larger transactions anonymously.
Edited by PacoMartin
04/09/2020 07:38 am
Learn More...
United States
86360 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2020  10:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It will be interesting to see how well that works for them.
Page: of 13 Previous TopicReplies: 188 / Views: 12,439Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.84 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05