Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Are we on the verge of a cashless society?

Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11049 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2018  12:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
That is one of the reasons why I point blank refuse to ever have a credit card.
With cash budgeting, I have never been in debt, except for a mortgage, and that was paid off way back in 1990.

And if you used that same discipline with a credit card paying it off every month you get free rewards from them
Valued Member
United States
76 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2018  3:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RLS0812 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
And if you used that same discipline with a credit card paying it off every month you get free rewards from them
1.8% interest charge + a $7.50 monthly service charge ?
Nothing is 'free' :(
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11049 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2018  4:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
1.8% interest charge + a $7.50 monthly service charge ?
Nothing is 'free' :(

While it's true that nothing is free as the credit card fees are built into the cost of products, no one should ever be paying a monthly service charge on a credit card. The interest should also only kicks in if you don't pay it off every month
Pillar of the Community
United States
1356 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2018  5:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jpsned to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
That is one of the reasons why I point blank refuse to ever have a credit card.
With cash budgeting, I have never been in debt, except for a mortgage, and that was paid off way back in 1990.

That is great! I would point out, however, that some people simply don't make enough income to be able to pay for everything (meaning basic needs) with cash, and occasionally need a credit card to get by.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3508 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2018  7:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fistfulladirt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a family of 4, I have one credit card, which I rarely use. Cash is just so much simpler. I have no outstanding debt, no mortgage. Just the basics like groceries, utilities, etc. Couple bucks back a year in rewards? Phooey. CC's, they work for some, just not for me. I also like knowing that my every spending habit is not tracked. It's no one's business but mine.

Someone very close to me otoh, uses nothing but cards. Their cards have been constantly compromised, which is annoying, and they are into personal six-figure card debt.
When I listen to LED ZEPPELIN...so do my neighbors...reluctantly

Roll hunting since '77
Dirt fishing since '72
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15719 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2018  8:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A colleague of mine had the opinion that when you owed the bank $100,000, the bank owned you.

But when you owed the bank 10 million, you owned them.

He retired a very wealthy man, in dollars, at least.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
14511 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2018  03:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sadly, it is those with the least amount of income that have to shoulder the greatest amount of credit card debt.
A cashless society has been forced on this sector of the population.
Valued Member
United States
84 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2018  09:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pocketchange2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
"....some people simply don't make enough income to be able to pay for everything (meaning basic needs) with cash...."
*** Edited by Staff to add Quote tags. Please use them in the future. ***

After this quoted statement, I'm unclear what the premise of the original question is.
Edited by pocketchange2
07/05/2018 10:49 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2537 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2018  11:44 am  Show Profile   Check XavierOfGreen's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add XavierOfGreen to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In the unlikely event that the American government ever decides to go completely cashless, you will see a return of private banks issuing their own circulating notes to replace it. There will always be a need for a non-electronic medium of exchange. Its prevalence and importance may decrease, but it will never disappear entirely.
Oldest Found-------
Cent: 1842 (from machine) ---- Three Cent: 1866 [Nickel] (from machine)
Nickel: 1883 (from roll) ---- Dime: 1911 (from roll)
Quarter: 1932 (from machine) ---- Half: 1917 (from roll)
Dollar: 1880 (from machine) ---- Foreign: 1863 (from machine)
Bedrock of the Community
United States
14582 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2018  11:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
That is great! I would point out, however, that some people simply don't make enough income to be able to pay for everything (meaning basic needs) with cash, and occasionally need a credit card to get by.

If you can't pay your basic needs with cash using a credit card isn't going to help because next month you still have to pay for your basic needs plus you still have to pay off what you charged last month. All you've done is made your cash situation worse. If you can't pay your basic needs with cash, you need to find a way of reducing those "needs". Too many peoples "needs" are actually "wants".
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
United States
5590 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2018  1:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am NOT saying that quote is invalid b/c admittedly I have no first hand knowledge of this and personally do not know people like this.

However, I have seen where the term "basic needs" has all too often been interpreted as newest cell phone (or a cell phone at all), expensive sound system, large screen TV, Blu-ray, latest video gaming system, flashy sports car, latest fashions etc.
- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Real men play Fizzbin.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1193 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2018  2:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alpha2814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The problem with that quote is the mix of "some people [can't] pay for everything (meaning basic needs)" and "occasionally need a credit card". If they can't pay for basic needs, they need a credit card all the time (and will eventually be completely screwed). If they can pay for basic needs on a regular basis albeit just barely, they will likely need a credit card for those months when they can't (e.g. necessary car repair, medical bills, etc.) Both premises in that quote can't be true at the same time.

Personally, I prefer cash -- I consider it more secure for day-to-day transactions, but cashless does have a place. It's just a shame that "place" gets bigger all the time.
Working on: Peace dollars (two to go), US type (Bust era), Chinese pandas, and San Francisco tokens.

"Fear is the enemy of will. Will is what makes you take action; fear is what stops you, and makes you weak."
-- Sinestro to (my avatar) Hal Jordan, "Green Lantern" (2011)
Learn More...
United States
62505 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2018  3:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
While it's true that nothing is free as the credit card fees are built into the cost of products, no one should ever be paying a monthly service charge on a credit card. The interest should also only kicks in if you don't pay it off every month
True.

For what it is worth, a cashless society would also include debit cards. It is wrong to make credit cards the bogeyman in a cash versus cashless debate as they are not required to go cashless.
Valued Member
Canada
225 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2018  6:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add walk2dwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
For what it is worth, a cashless society would also include debit cards.

- yes, and cheques, Paypal, EMT, bitcoin & any other form of payment that doesn't involve cash (like barter/the phone & new emerging technologies). So some of the cashless transactions (like barter) go way back while others are just recently accepted conventions. I understand the topic (seen/discussed it so many times with friends) & find the trend somewhat troubling,* but I feel there'll always be cash.

IMO: It's the smaller denominations & decimals that are most at risk for being phased out. But phased out (or not) - I believe there'll always be collector interest.

*The trend is troubling in that the technology allows "big brother" to keep tabs on our spending (as so many have pointed out)- but its so darn convenient.
Learn More...
United States
62505 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2018  6:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
But phased out (or not) - I believe there'll always be collector interest.
Agreed.
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.35 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05