Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1976 $2 with Kennedy stamp and postmark

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community

United States
1302 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2018  4:04 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
My brother sent me some images of his collection so I cropped this bill out. I guess this was some kind of "first day of issue" gimmick judging by google images. I realize it's probably just considered a defaced note and isn't top quality to begin with. I see you can pick one up for less than $10 but I haven't seen one with a Kennedy stamp yet. Figured I'd post it and see if others have one.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1429 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2018  4:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A friend of mine, Clay Irving, probably has the most complete and extensive collection I know of. You can view some of it here, http://www.panix.com/~clay/currency...ates-02.html
Pillar of the Community
United States
1302 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2018  4:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Awesome 50 states collection, thanks Steve. I never knew this was a "thing".
Learn More...
United States
60341 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
4016 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2018  4:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bpoc1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great information!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1302 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2018  7:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ha, I got this in the mail today as payment to participate in a survey, right after posting this thread. Weird.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
28246 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2018  8:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hope you participated!
Pillar of the Community
558 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2018  8:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ckrakowski to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This was the day that the 2 dollar bill was released. The stamp is just a regular stamp someone had on them and wanted to put on it.

You can still do this today if you want.
Pillar of the Community
United States
626 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2018  9:04 pm  Show Profile   Check BadDog's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadDog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Back in 1976, it was a big deal when the bicentennial motive FRN $2 was first printed. It even included a study by the Harvard Business School that concluded there was no real demand for a newly issued $2, but that the public would use it if it was issued. I guess they got it half right

In any event, when the note was released on April 13, 1976 it was very popular at the time. The last LTN $2 was the 1963A series which were last issued in 1965 and MANY people visited their bank on the first day of issue to obtain one on the new deuces. For many of those folks, their next stop was the nearest US Post Office to get the souvenir stamped and cancelled. My wife, as a young lady from Canton, OH going to college at Kent State, was among the throngs and has had these crisp uncirculated consecutive serial numbered notes ever since

Edited by BadDog
06/27/2018 9:05 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8676 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2018  9:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
While maybe not worth much, they sure are fun and great conversation pieces.
Learn More...
United States
13273 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2018  10:28 pm  Show Profile   Check Fuzzy317's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Fuzzy317 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have several of those post marked $2 bills. At one time, they were kind of an obsession to me.
I even have some from the post office of my home town.
<---- expert of nothing, student of everything. My Coin Galleries
Here is: My Want List.... to work on my: Birth Year Set

Circulating Dollar Coins ......Circulating Half Dollar Coins ...... Circulating Two Dollar Bills
Pillar of the Community
United States
1302 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2018  10:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Hope you participated!
Yes, we did. My daughter was keen on it. Something about wildfire awareness etc from the local university. I tucked the $2 into my album even though $2 is all it will ever be worth.
@BadDog, yes, I was a young collector at the time and on a "bicentennial committee" planning events for the big 4th. I vaguely recall the $2 reissue as a big deal. I also have a crisp 1976 but why my brother has one with a stamp/postmark and I don't is a mystery. We both collected the same things (brown Ike, etc).
@Fuzzy, it looks like mine is Blue Island, IL. Close to where we lived, but lots of closer post offices. There must be a story on this...
Edited by kbbpll
06/27/2018 10:53 pm
Learn More...
United States
13273 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2018  11:04 pm  Show Profile   Check Fuzzy317's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Fuzzy317 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know the details, but it was something they did around the time of the US bicentennial celebration.
Not sure if all post offices did this, or post masters could elect to participate. Most of the ones I have are 1976 series, but I think I have some from newer series.
<---- expert of nothing, student of everything. My Coin Galleries
Here is: My Want List.... to work on my: Birth Year Set

Circulating Dollar Coins ......Circulating Half Dollar Coins ...... Circulating Two Dollar Bills
Valued Member
United States
60 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2018  10:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pennywise142 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
In any event, when the note was released on April 13, 1976 it was very popular at the time. The last LTN $2 was the 1963A series which were last issued in 1965 and MANY people visited their bank on the first day of issue to obtain one on the new deuces. For many of those folks, their next stop was the nearest US Post Office to get the souvenir stamped and cancelled.

I was one of those who stood in line for hours in order to get a first day issue postmark. The clerk had to keep reassuring people that they would not close until all patrons in line were finished. Many people had a large volume of bills and stamps. I think I was finally served about 6PM.

A couple of months later we were at it again to get a Special July 4, 1976 Bicentennial postmark.

Learn More...
United States
60341 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
1302 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2018  12:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That Valley Forge postmark is awesome. No wonder there was a long line.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.92 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05