Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

found a diamond while searching rolls of canadian pennies  

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
1359 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2018  1:27 pm Show Profile   Check gidjit's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add gidjit to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
well I never dreamed I would ever find a diamond while searching a roll of pennies but as soon as I oppened th top of the paper coin tube I saw what I thought was a piece of glass sitting on top of this 1932 penny(yes also rare to find the older style pennies) but I was curious what it was because of the sparkle it had and when I looked under a loupe I was surprised to see a diamond! I am pretty sure its real because of the colors I can se in the light and how sharp and crisp each cut is. all though it may be small I think it is pretty neat to find! now I will be careful with the rest of the roll in case there are any more with in. I didnt finish the roll yet as I decided to post this first but if I find nything else I will add to this post!

please check out my collection of large cents from 1858 - 1920 (under construction)
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/...l=4b87156114
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
1359 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2018  1:46 pm  Show Profile   Check gidjit's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add gidjit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
well finished the rest of the roll nothing else exciting except a 41 penny, but now I have the urge to find gold lol so off to the burlington beach to do some metal detecting and sight seeing (bikinis) after the mass amount of people using the beach this weekend
please check out my collection of large cents from 1858 - 1920 (under construction)
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1211 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2018  2:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add papeldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To check if its a real diamond if you have a piece of old glass the diamond will cut the glass if its real run the diamond on its edge with some pressure on the glass it should scratch it.

Edit: I foregot to mention what a great find
Edited by papeldog
07/02/2018 2:05 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1472 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2018  3:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add aristarchus123 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Does it look real? That would be amazing!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
26737 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2018  4:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lots of things will scratch glass. Take it to your LCS if they do jewelry and get a dependable opinion. Congrats!
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
3673 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2018  4:55 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
An amazing find - hope it's genuine!

Quote:
off to the burlington beach to do some metal detecting and sight seeing (bikinis)

(of the detector finds, if course! )
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1211 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2018  5:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add papeldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You are correct coinfrog lots of things scratch glass but I believe cheap artificial diamonds will not cut glass
Learn More...
Canada
7890 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2018  5:38 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A white spinel will...

Take it to a coin store or jewelry store to confirm.
"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
1359 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2018  5:46 pm  Show Profile   Check gidjit's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add gidjit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
yes a diamond will cut glass but it is also brittle and you run a risk of chipping the diamond
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
1359 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2018  5:54 pm  Show Profile   Check gidjit's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add gidjit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
for those of you who think its tough to take a good pic of a coin try a small diamond, I cant seem to capture the sparkle when I zoom in but here are a few more pics one with a scale over it, looks to be 1.8 mm wide, its in a 2x2 right now so the diamond is facing straight up also seeing through the plastic, the best close up is through a stereo microscope I got from another member here, I think its too perfectly cut to be glass I might pull out my black light as most diamonds glow under the light

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
1359 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2018  6:08 pm  Show Profile   Check gidjit's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add gidjit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i know if its either fake or real its not worth alot but it sure beats finding toenails and hair(i hate to think what kind of hair it might be)
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1211 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2018  7:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add papeldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Its still a nice find and kind of a treasure, I agree with others take it to a jeweler to check it out
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
7089 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2018  12:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Amazing find!
Hope it turns out to be real.

"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1221 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2018  01:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tootallious to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is indeed a rare and great find! My thought on this is that someone's wife/mother was rolling up some pennies to take to the bank and the diamond or one of the diamonds from her ring got snagged while se had her ring finger in the bottom of the roll as she was using her other hand to drop the pennies in. As most people are left handed this would make sense as she used her dominant hand to grab and drop the pennies in the roll. That is why it was on the top or at the end of the roll

Regardless of how it got there, I would be as excited as you!
My goal in life is to live forever, so far so good!

If you don't want to regret your past, don't screw up in the future because the future, inevitably, becomes the past!
Valued Member
Learn More...
Canada
360 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2018  1:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add loonielewy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You just might have the 1st generation Swarovski crystal penny there.. .

Seriously, good find and hope it's real.
Valued Member
Canada
120 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2018  7:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add The Awesome Guys Coins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
You just might have the 1st generation Swarovski crystal penny there

on bringing it to a coin store or a jeweller, hope it's real.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.06 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05