Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

US 1943 Series 1C Not Graded Because "Altered Surface"

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

United States
11 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2018  7:49 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add coinking7389 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I received an original bank roll of 1943 pennies and sent them off to NGC for grading. They were all returned Not Encapsulated with a reason of "Altered Surface". I have read and understood the NGC published category description associated with that explanation that they cannot tell 'how' the surface was altered. So I am a bit confused (note: I have requested further explanation but so far no response); What possible alterations could have been attempted? I look at the coins and they appear old, possibly needing conservation, but otherwise no obvious alterations. Has anyone experienced anything like this and have some sage advice?

Thank you.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5524 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2018  7:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No advice can be given 100% without , although they've most likely been plated.

to the CCF!
Collector of all classic US coinage.

How to identify cleaned coins: http://goccf.com/t/319679
Edited by SilverDollar2017
07/02/2018 7:52 pm
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
19464 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2018  7:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can just about guaranty they've all been reprocessed/replated. They're everywhere. It was likely not an original bank roll no matter how nice and authentic it looked.

Quote:
I look at the coins and they appear old, possibly needing conservation,

Why would you bother sending them to be graded then?
Pillar of the Community
United States
4789 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2018  8:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rackster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with our fellow enthusiasts. Reprocessed/re-plated. You can find authentic roles but you need to be clear on what you order/find. I see lots of reprocessed steel cents being dumped at my LCS. They cull out the authentic roles for their sales and dump the rest with wholesalers.

2016 Objective - to establish a system to organize and catalog my expanding nickel and cent collection.
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
19464 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2018  8:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
and dump the rest with wholesalers.

I watched a dealer one time separating them and he was putting the reprocessed ones in his cash register for change.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8705 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2018  8:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
With all of the above . Where did you get that original bank roll of 1943 Cents ? And may I ask what you paid for it ? I think it was a circulated roll that you received and NGC shook their heads and just gave it '' Altered Surfaces ''
Or like said above , ''reprocessed'' .
Don't take life too seriously and remember it is just a passing fad ......
Michael Philip Jagger

Bedrock of the Community
United States
15170 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2018  9:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The first red flag....AFAIK, there is no OBW rolls of 1943's. At least, I have never seen a genuine one. They pop-up on eBay now and then but every single one I've seen is fake. I'd say you just got an expensive lesson.
Lincoln Cent Lover!
Edited by BadThad
07/02/2018 9:08 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7802 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2018  9:23 pm  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can you post pics of a couple of them?
"Baseball gets you out in the fresh air and keeps you from talking about your neighbors."
-Lib Dooley

My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Pillar of the Community
United States
3776 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2018  10:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16917 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2018  09:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Can't imagine why you would send in any 1943 Cents for grading. Even in MS-65 most worth far less than the grading cost.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
1154 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2018  3:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kurrency Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would find it hard to believe that you would be able to secure an original bank wrapped (OBW) roll of 1943 steel cents. I haven't seen them offered in such condition for years. Were they all nice and shiny? This would indicate re-plating. Can you go back to the seller with the TPG information?

KK
United States
11 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2018  5:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coinking7389 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All very good and worthy comments. From my limited experience they looked fine and came from a source that would not have been involed with any alteration. Whatever occured would have been done prior to the 1970 era when they were stored away. Photos attached.

Pillar of the Community
United States
626 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2018  5:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add machine20 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yep those are replated and the center one is chewed up. Worth less than $1 apiece graded or otherwise
Pillar of the Community
United States
1308 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2018  5:43 pm  Show Profile   Check Tanman2001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Tanman2001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Definitely replated aka reprocessed.

I agree with machine20. they are worth less than $1 a piece.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
28151 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2018  6:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For sure. Keep looking!

to the CCF!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11959 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2018  04:18 am  Show Profile   Check Errers and Varietys's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Errers and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Unfortunately, the supposed "OBW Roll" wasn't OBW. It has been clearly searched, and they've been replated. This hurts the value a lot, since it alters the coins surfaces. Did you buy this roll? If you did, then you got ripped off very badly.
Errers and Varietys
Edited by Errers and Varietys
07/10/2018 04:20 am
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.91 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05