Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Online Coin Shopping

Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4
Valued Member
United States
50 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2018  9:08 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Krazy Kermit to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi-Ho! Krazy Kermit here!

I am looking for some advice on help on any online coin shops that are considered "straight dealers" in other words if the coin says XF, its at least very close to XF if it says BU its Bu...etc.

Now the catch is I know its better to do coin buying in person. But I actually suffer from a car riding phobia, where I can't go many places so traveling to the coin events are not in the foreseeable future.

My father before passing away used Littleton Coin Shop. As well as used Village Coin Shop but those were it. So they are all I know and I don't know if either are very good or not.

Any advice or help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Kermit
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11059 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2018  9:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Littleton is good in the sense that their coins generally grade what they say they grade. That said almost all the common coins they sell can be found cheaper elsewhere.

A lot of the answer to your question depends on what you're looking for. eBay is by far the biggest retailer of coins 100-200 and under and sticking with graded coins will be the safest to do it. They're also the best selection of moderns and foreign coins. If you're looking for 4 or 5 figure coins there's places with better inventory but knowning some generalities of what you're looking for would help.
Valued Member
United States
50 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2018  9:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Krazy Kermit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for getting back to me basebal21!

I am going to start out small, with Pennies, then after a nice start I was going to graduate to Nickels, then Dimes...etc.

So eBay, seems like a nice idea. My first question to eBay, might be how to weed out the scammers. A beginner like me, may easily get fooled into something.

Any tips on searching for fakers!
Bedrock of the Community
10197 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2018  9:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have used a small former brick and mortar shop in Illinois for years and have always had fair assessments and great service both on coins and all my supplies, called Jake's Marketplace. I consider it my on-stop shopping when going for coins. Now they are in it for profit, charge fair prices but the have a section I haunt called "Bumps, dents and scratches" where on my tight budget I have purchased some very nice coins that may have minor blemishes or cleaning/toning issues for sometimes a third of the asking price for an unblemished coin of same grade.

https://www.jakesmp.com/
Valued Member
United States
50 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2018  9:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Krazy Kermit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Crazyb0!

I will definitely check them out!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7527 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2018  9:22 pm  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I believe Littleton will start sending you coins on approval without your asking. That's a trap my father-in-law got roped into. I have bought many coins on eBay and I study a lot. Everyone gets disappointed once in awhile if you buy from a photograph but that has been my best bet. Read the feedback and compare like items.
On the left of most every CCF page, I am trying to remember to use CCF Partners links. They are highlighted in lime green!
It helps CCF a little. Try it!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7527 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2018  9:23 pm  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
and
On the left of most every CCF page, I am trying to remember to use CCF Partners links. They are highlighted in lime green!
It helps CCF a little. Try it!
Valued Member
United States
50 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2018  9:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Krazy Kermit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks TNG!

And yes I do remember my father mentioning something about they sent a coin every month or something and you had to return it in so many days. And I even believe one time there was a mix up where my dad returned it but Littleon said they never received it. Sounds like head-ache city to me.

So far I am hearing eBay, but make sure its a sale, where you get the coin in the picture with good pictures.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11059 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2018  9:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
. I am going to start out small, with Pennies, then after a nice start I was going to graduate to Nickels, then Dimes...etc.

So eBay, seems like a nice idea. My first question to eBay, might be how to weed out the scammers. A beginner like me, may easily get fooled into something.

Any tips on searching for fakers!

If you're doing full sets you'll want to get certain coins already graded for sure like the S VDB Lincoln or if you did Mercury dimes the 16 D ect.

For the more modern ones you can get mint sets and break them up, some sellers sell cut up mint sets in the mint cello still too.

Most sellers on there are honest and most of the scammers won't bother with things for a few bucks. In general though avoid sellers from China, if you're getting a more expensive coin get a graded one, key dates definitely get already graded, and if it see,s to good to be true if almost certainly is. There are a lot of sellers on there that would have what you're looking for though.

You can always ask questions as well, and the good thing with eBay as a buyer is that between them, PayPal, and your credit card used through PayPal you have multiple ways to get your money back if someone sold a fake
Valued Member
United States
50 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2018  9:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Krazy Kermit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the advice basebal21!

So, if I am starting with Pennies, do you have some tips on which ones might be a good idea to get graded, which I'm assuming you mean professionally?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11059 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2018  9:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
. Thanks for the advice basebal21!

So, if I am starting with Pennies, do you have some tips on which ones might be a good idea to get graded, which I'm assuming you mean professionally?

I'm not a big Lincoln guy so there's probably more but off the top of my head the 1909 S, 1909 S VDB, 1914 D, 1931 S, 1922, I would buy already graded by one of the four eBay approved grading companies. There's some more I would add to the list depending on the grade range and value of it you're looking at.
Valued Member
United States
50 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2018  9:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Krazy Kermit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well I must admit something "weird." I actually am not sure what grade I am seeking!

I know I want the coin to have a nice strong date and mint mark (if there is one) and I like the wheat ears to look nice and be there and not be "smooth" or "worn."

So anything tips advice or anything I am trying to suck up as much info. as possible!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11059 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2018  9:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Well I must admit something "weird." I actually am not sure what grade I am seeking!

Nothing wrong with that. I would suggest going on eBay and browsing around a bunch of the graded ones to get an idea what the different grades look like to see what fits your taste
Valued Member
United States
50 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2018  9:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Krazy Kermit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks basebal21!

I did ask you a question under another forum. But I will ask it here too:

How would you recommend me buying something along the lines of a 1959 Cent. Is it better to find a shop selling it BU or find someone selling them in a cut up Mint set still?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11059 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2018  9:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
So for someone starting out like me, how would you guys recommend me buying something along the lines of a 1959 Cent. Is it better to find a shop selling it BU or find someone selling them in a cut up Mint set still?

Just depends on the coin. You can get a nice one either way and a bad one either way. One way isn't necessarily better than the other in that instance.
Valued Member
United States
50 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2018  9:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Krazy Kermit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Okay Thanks!
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.78 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05