Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Quarter Collecting Advice  

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
50 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2018  11:49 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Krazy Kermit to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I am fairly new to collecting I know I want to start with Pennies and have been getting some advice there. But I also was thinking of starting to collect State, Territory and America the Beautiful Quarters on the side.

Any advice on how best to collect the quarters to "Make up for lost time?"

Thanks,

Kermit
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16666 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2018  11:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can't give you any advice with those. I stopped collecting Washington quarters when they started those state ones. I just don't like those things. My advice is change to Nickels or Dimes.
just carl
Valued Member
United States
59 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2018  11:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RLS0812 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
eBay search "complete quarter collection" if you have the money.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7343 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2018  12:36 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I enjoy most of the designs on the States & Territories and ATB Quarters. I started collecting states from circulation, but given the quality I wanted and the amount of coins needed, I decided to just do a date set of the States & Territories first. Soooo, if I'm only getting one coin per design, then why not proof?

I finished a 1999-2009 clad proof set in a Dansco pretty easily. Finding the proof sets in the lens w/o packaging or extra coins is easy.

I then started the silver version of the same. I ended up selling the clad set. I lack a few years for the silver date set. I don't know why, but the 1999 silver proofs are much more costly than any other year. Maybe it's a bubble or maybe it will continue to go up? Unfortunately, that's a year I lack.

I plan on doing the same with the ATB Quarters (silver proof date set), but not until I finish the States & Territories. I suppose the only opinion I can give is that a date set is satisfactory and compiling all issues is too redundant for me. With the two types of proof and P- & D-mints, that's 20 coins a year. I like 'em, but not that much!

Bad puns make me [sic].

My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Valued Member
United States
50 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2018  08:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Krazy Kermit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks just carl!

I definitely want to collect nickels and dimes as well. I just was thinking about doing those because I wondered if at some point soon people might hoard them making the prices go higher. Maybe I'm worrying over nothing there, not sure.
Valued Member
United States
50 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2018  08:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Krazy Kermit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks RLS0812!

I was more asking how can I tell I'm getting nice coins for the price, sometimes with eBay you may not be getting what you pay for at times. Not all the times by any means, sometimes eBay has some great deals.
Valued Member
United States
50 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2018  08:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Krazy Kermit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks spruett001!

I like you enjoy most of the designs for the sets. I do have a follow-up question, for a novice, clad proof and silver proof, are they the San Francisco Mint or are they made in Philadelphia & Denver as well?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15494 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2018  09:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are nearly as many ways to collect as there are collectors. Choosing your own path is great fun.

I would suggest a type set, rather than a series or denomination specialization.

With a type set you touch on many different coin types and begin to gain a feeling for what you enjoy.

Until you have a Buffalo nickel, or a Mercury dime, or a Standing Liberty quarter, or a Walking Liberty half dollar, or any other classic series in your own hands it's difficult to ascertain a specific direction.

Remember that fun, learning, and goal accomplishment are the main reasons most collectors find our hobby enjoyable.
Valued Member
United States
50 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2018  09:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Krazy Kermit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks moxking!

I am starting to figure out I am going to have to go my own way. I will give it some thought and consideration and figure out what means the most to me.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5317 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2018  11:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is another point to be made that may or may not be important to you depending on how you want to collect. There is no RIGHT way... its a hobby and hobbies are about FUN!

The silver proofs will not lose value overall since they are a precious metal. In other words a quarter worth of gas in 1960 is about what a silver quarter's value will get you today. The market fluctuates, but it averages out to this.

Clad coins, outside of the keys, will mostly lose their face value. A 2018 quarter will not buy near what a 1965 quarter did in its day.

This is by no means a negative for collecting clad coin. Somewhere in the future clads might become "the" thing to collect. But the silver will always be silver no matter what.

- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Real men play Fizzbin.
Edited by Earle42
07/04/2018 11:49 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
7061 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2018  11:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 52Raymo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Iím currently doing a Whitman album for silver 32 through 64. Itís not all that cheap but Iím having fun.
Oregon coin geek.....*** GO BEAVS ! ! ! ***
Pillar of the Community
United States
3378 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2018  11:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fistfulladirt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have assembled a near complete 1932-1964 silver Washington quarter set, just by occasional purchases of my local dealerís junk silver holdings. Missing a few key dates though.
When I listen to LED ZEPPELIN...so do my neighbors...reluctantly

Roll hunting since '77
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10443 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2018  2:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
. The silver proofs will not lose value overall since they are a precious metal.

Precious metals have without a doubt lost a lot of value in the last few years. If you bought one in the last several years itís worth less now than what was paid when itís only value is the metal.

The whole you can still buy a gallon of gas with a silver quarter is way over blown. Thereís plenty of places in the country that silver quarter wouldnít get a full gallon, but the real myth is that you could just trade it at the gas station. Youíd have to sell it first which has a cost to turn it into the money for gas. Sure a country store may take the silver but most of the country would treat it as a quarter

Class are already popular with many collectors, itís just some older collectors that get hung up on the silver vs clad thing.
Valued Member
United States
50 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2018  2:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Krazy Kermit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Earle42!

That is very true and I am learning I need to do things my own way and take a little help and advice as I go. I personally believe I will stick to those coins that were released for general circulation and try and find them as nice as possible within my budget. Not 100% committed to that idea but thinking it.
Valued Member
United States
50 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2018  2:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Krazy Kermit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks 52Raymo & fistfulladirt!

If you got pictures of those collections I'd love to see them. I love to see people's collection finished or not.
Valued Member
United States
50 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2018  2:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Krazy Kermit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks basebal21!

I don't feel I am caught up in silver vs. clad mainly because I'm not 100% what that means...
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.73 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05