Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1835 $5 gold coin—your opinion on grade and value-thnx

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United States
140 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2018  9:53 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Imag8r to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have above coin that was bought from dealer many yrs ago—on receipt said was BU—is photo good enough to give grade?—the 775 is what my dad paid many yrs ago—sorry bout upside down one—still not sure how to fix/rotate

Pillar of the Community
United States
5557 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2018  10:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i cropped and reoriented the pics for you. nice coin

Valued Member
United States
140 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2018  10:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Imag8r to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks N Student
Pillar of the Community
United States
8677 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2018  07:31 am  Show Profile   Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The good news is the coin appears to be genuine with a lot of remaining detail (very little wear). I see the 2x2 says BU (Brilliant Uncirculated) but my first impression was AU (Almost Uncirculated) and probably cleaned. That's the bad news.

The images suggest that it is cleaned and that makes valuing it quite difficult because we don't know for sure if it is cleaned or how bad the cleaning is. I can give you an idea of how much cleaning could affect the value though. Suppose it graded problem-free MS63 then you have a $10,000 coin. Now imagine it grades AU Details - Cleaned, then you have an $800 coin assuming it's not harshly cleaned (it doesn't look harshly cleaned).

Try to take and post some higher-resolution, focused images and we'll have a better idea. $5 Classic Head gold pieces are very desirable coins to most collectors.
ANA #R3154474
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
28246 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2018  09:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't think it's uncirculated, but pics need to be sharper for further analysis.

to the CCF!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
23737 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2018  10:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Also, please remove from 2x2 first.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
5591 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2018  10:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sharper pics needed. Looks authentic. Remove from 2 x 2 for better pics.

to the CCF!
Collector of all classic US coinage.

How to identify cleaned coins: http://goccf.com/t/319679
Bedrock of the Community
United States
13415 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2018  10:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU details, cleaned
Valued Member
United States
140 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2018  2:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Imag8r to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for info
—have a question—i have receipt for coin in 1998(dads) from Ramapo coin dealers in NY—it says BU on receipt—would a dealer clean a coin back then and anyone know of this coin dealer?—cant find online anymore
Pillar of the Community
United States
5557 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2018  3:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ramapo was one of those coin shops that advertised heavily in coin magazines. I think the owner's name was Roger Herman and he didn't have a great reputation. I guess his business model was pushing common, optimistically graded coins to the mass market for their investment potential. It was like Littleton without ever reaching their scale.
Edited by numismatic student
07/05/2018 3:39 pm
Valued Member
United States
140 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2018  6:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Imag8r to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeh I just read a thread on Ramapo and some were ok but couple didnt have very nice things to say—my dad bought quite a few from him—i wonder about all the BU gold coins he bought and if he did clean them that would suck
Pillar of the Community
United States
8677 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2018  07:28 am  Show Profile   Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Yeh I just read a thread on Ramapo and some were ok but couple didnt have very nice things to say—my dad bought quite a few from him—i wonder about all the BU gold coins he bought and if he did clean them that would suck

The seller (Ramapo) might never have cleaned a coin but still sell cleaned coins. There's a cottage industry (and has been for years) buying problem coins (i.e. cleaned) and selling them to unsuspecting buyers as problem-free pieces at inflated prices.

The $775 price on the flip is likely close to what the piece is worth today but without better pictures it is hard to say. I would dare say there is very little chance the coin is worth less than $775.
ANA #R3154474
Valued Member
United States
140 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2018  2:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Imag8r to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is the 1838 out of the 2x2

Valued Member
United States
140 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2018  2:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Imag8r to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry sideways—-i just figured the cropping process—my pics are right side up throughout whole process then come sideways—got to figure this one out
Valued Member
United States
140 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2018  3:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Imag8r to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Got it figured out I think

Pillar of the Community
United States
1355 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2018  4:18 pm  Show Profile   Check Ploopy's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Ploopy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with the consensus of AU Details cleaned. Worth about what you payed for imo, $775-$800.
Collector of any American coinage.

Coins for sale: https://www.ebay.com/sch/pifagor/m....g=200&_from=
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.13 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05