Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1950-D Jefferson Nickel - real or fake  

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
656 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2018  11:06 pm Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I bought this as a counterfeit for my collection of such, but after reading about it there are apparently a lot of coins from a late stage die that are real (according to some guy from ANACS in a post somewhere). So I don't want to put a real one in my counterfeit collection. Thus I need some help from the nickel folks to give me an idea whether this is late stage real or a fake. Thanks!

1950-D Jefferson nickel up for scrutiny

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8393 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2018  11:10 pm  Show Profile   Check Errors and Varietys's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Errors and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks legit to me, but I might be wrong though.
Errors and Varietys.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7402 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2018  11:21 pm  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not sure. In many ways, it looks like VLDS, but some things don't add up for me. I would expect the legend/motto to be closer to the rim and boy do those steps stand put. Some of the design elements are very weak while others (like the steps) are quite strong.

What about the weight and magnetism?
Bad puns make me [sic].

My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Pillar of the Community
United States
656 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2018  11:34 pm  Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oops, forgot to add that! Thanks spruett001. Weight is exactly 5.0g and it shows no signs of magnetism.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8839 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2018  02:53 am  Show Profile   Check Crazyb0's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
TB, not sure either but don't like location of Mintmarks. you'd have to match known dies for that... possibly the referenced ANACS article? that MM seems too far NE. it is VLDS on reverse, but not obverse, and details look off, but that may be the texture look of a cast coin fooling ya?

It looks like a cleaned ED coin, one that was crusty and had a vinegar bath

Edited by Crazyb0
07/06/2018 02:55 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
3713 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2018  03:20 am  Show Profile   Check Adam_E's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Adam_E to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a feeling that this coin spent a considerable amount of time submerged in water, then cleaned with a harsh substance like vinegar like crazyb0 mentioned
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8266 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2018  07:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't really like the looks of it . All around texture does not look like a normal Jefferson from the 50's . Looks cast and what's with those strong steps on a weak building ?
I'm leaning towards NOT VLDS , I'm putting my money on counterfeit .
Don't take life too seriously and remember it is just a passing fad ......
Michael Philip Jagger

Pillar of the Community
United States
656 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2018  11:11 am  Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I went to PCGS CoinFacts and did a view all images of 1950-D nickels. I found a couple with the mint mark in a pretty similar location and while I couldn't find a VLDS I did find a LDS and it looks just like this one just not quite as strong. The reverse shows strong die flow across UNITED STATES while FIVE CENTS and the steps are super sharp and the building mushy to left and right of columns. From what I saw I am leaning strongly toward a real nickel and not a counterfeit. Not what I was hoping for, but still quite open to comments one way or the other. Agree that it seems like it was cleaned/dipped or had something done to it.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15612 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2018  11:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
An LDS that served time in a pickle jar.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8266 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2018  5:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Were they Kosher pickles ?
Don't take life too seriously and remember it is just a passing fad ......
Michael Philip Jagger

Pillar of the Community
United States
4788 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2018  12:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rackster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree. Real but pickled LDS specimen.
2016 Objective - to establish a system to organize and catalog my expanding nickel and cent collection.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4301 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2018  12:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks real, but damaged.
Collector of all classic US coinage.

How to identify cleaned coins: http://goccf.com/t/319679
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
30638 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2018  4:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When you look at the rim and edge you can see where the acid eat the metal away. A low mintage coin with was altered. Shame.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8393 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2018  4:17 pm  Show Profile   Check Errors and Varietys's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Errors and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That stinks! The coin was altered by being dipped in acid. So it's real Nickel, but it's been altered.
Errors and Varietys.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
26754 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2018  4:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great question and fine photos!
Pillar of the Community
United States
656 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2018  4:40 pm  Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for all the help with this one. Of the possibilities this seems to be the worse case, as I wanted a counterfeit, would have settled for a VLDS, and got a buggered up real coin. I have given it to my son to fill that hole in his nickel book since it is at least a real one.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.93 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05