Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1912 Barber Half Dollar  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
5255 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2018  12:26 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This coin sold tonight for $468. I was going to bid on it, but got caught up in wondering why it was so cheap and whether it had been dipped. Couldn't get out of my head and didn't pull the trigger. Thoughts on grade and problems? Particularly whether you think this coin was dipped to the point of not grading straight. Thanks!

Frankly, I am kicking myself for not having bought it.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1037 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2018  01:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pretty decent luster, but is that wear on the talons, tailfeathers, and arrow fletches?
Pillar of the Community
United States
8837 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2018  02:22 am  Show Profile   Check Crazyb0's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That right there is why I don't like pix presentations as these are shown.they don't reflect real surfaces well. I see very few chatter marks, those two visibly are deep enough to shadow, should be more or at least rougher in texture. Was coin dipped? Let's just say it was treated well, how about that? No matter the, in excellent condition nonetheless!

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8257 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2018  08:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As far as condition goes this coin is real nice . I Don't think it was dipped . Possibly a light cleaning NOT a detail designation . Could be very little wear on left wing near shield and Eagles left claw .
JMHO ,
Don't take life too seriously and remember it is just a passing fad ......
Michael Philip Jagger

Pillar of the Community
United States
1033 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2018  08:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Steelers72 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
64+ seems clean. Would like different angled pics in lighting though.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4293 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2018  10:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I recognize the photography as Great Southern Coins, a seller with a reputation of selling polished or dipped coins.
Most likely AU-58 Details, cleaned.
Collector of all classic US coinage.

How to identify cleaned coins: http://goccf.com/t/319679
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15602 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2018  11:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If it's Great Southern there's a VERY good chance photos are doctored.

If not, MS 65 and a steal for that price. Left wing tip is the first thing to show rub. I see no rub there.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
532 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2018  2:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add two_tonevf35 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks more like a sketch than photographs. Sorry, but I can't tell anything from those photographs re: surfaces/cleaning, except I don't see obvious hairlines. And as has been said ad nauseam, if GSC, run, run, run and don't lose sleep over 'missing' that one.

Common date and why not find one slabbed at the grade and with the look you want? Sure, not all the gems have been slabbed, HOWEVER, there's a reason why that one is not.
PCGS submissions 2005-2015. Mailings(20) Orders(41) / 235 coin attempts. 12 Fails(5%) / Member vouchers(17%) Economy(63%) Regular(14%) Free(3%) Express(3%) / Barber 50c (49%) Classic Commemorative (40%) Hawaii(4%) Other(7%)/ Fails: Cleaned(2) Alt surfaces(1) Scratch(1) Damage(1) "86"(3) 2 Columbian & 1 BTW; Min Grade(2) DNC(2)-Same coin NGC XF40 Barber 50c. Express fees paid by seller (cross guarantee). Kept the coin & later submitted raw: PCGS XF40 LOL! Fails: Econ(8) Regular(2) Express(2); ICG: 30/30 NGC: 0 ANACS: 0
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
26737 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2018  7:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If it's GSC, I wouldn't trust the photos at all.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12815 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2018  7:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Probably dipped but still great eye appeal. Dipping doesn't mean it would get a details grade from a TPG.
Pillar of the Community
United States
743 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2018  08:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CollegeBarbers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The photo definitely seems off, so I'm not 100% confident in assigning a grade. It appears to be MS-65, but I would need to see some more photos before pulling the trigger.
Searching for some US modern coins (cents through dollars) via my want list.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.69 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05