Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1892 Barber Liberty Head Quarter  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
5255 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2018  7:43 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Picked this up for $131. Obviously there is a reason for the low price. Thoughts on grade and problems? Thanks!

Edited by numismatic student
07/06/2018 7:55 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
26738 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2018  7:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A sharper, straight-on pic of the obverse would help - the brow hair is obscured here. Clearly the scratches are a problem but I can't get a good feel for the wear from these photos.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2769 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2018  8:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MikeF to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like that scratch on the head is large enough to trigger a details grade but I agree with the frog. It's just a guessing game coming up with a technical grade from the photos
Hi, my name is MikeF and I'm a degenerate coin collector. I also like adventure, big trucks, long walks on the beach and the Kansas City Chiefs.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3713 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2018  9:05 pm  Show Profile   Check Adam_E's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Adam_E to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thats a shame about that gouge :(

I think UNC details is likely, but as the others stated, it could change depending on the angle
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8257 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2018  10:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
photos are not sharp enough for proper grade .
Don't take life too seriously and remember it is just a passing fad ......
Michael Philip Jagger

Pillar of the Community
United States
4293 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2018  08:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU-58 Details, cleaned
Collector of all classic US coinage.

How to identify cleaned coins: http://goccf.com/t/319679
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12815 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2018  7:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU-58 details, cleaned
Pillar of the Community
United States
743 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2018  08:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CollegeBarbers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Photos are too fuzzy to rely upon, so I will tentatively say AU-55 Details, Cleaned.
Searching for some US modern coins (cents through dollars) via my want list.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5255 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  7:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This one came in and looks much nicer than I expected. First, the pictures in the seller's listing followed by the pictures in hand today. Thoughts? Thanks!

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
26738 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  7:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can't really tell if it's been cleaned, but there are enough obverse scratches (and that divot on the cheek) to put me off.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1655 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  7:36 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cleaned at some point for sure.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
532 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  11:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add two_tonevf35 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oy, that dig on the cheekbone and scratches on the neck to jaw - hard to get past those despite the luster from the top 2nd set of pics.

O mint coins can have sawdust divots on the neck, especially the halves.
PCGS submissions 2005-2015. Mailings(20) Orders(41) / 235 coin attempts. 12 Fails(5%) / Member vouchers(17%) Economy(63%) Regular(14%) Free(3%) Express(3%) / Barber 50c (49%) Classic Commemorative (40%) Hawaii(4%) Other(7%)/ Fails: Cleaned(2) Alt surfaces(1) Scratch(1) Damage(1) "86"(3) 2 Columbian & 1 BTW; Min Grade(2) DNC(2)-Same coin NGC XF40 Barber 50c. Express fees paid by seller (cross guarantee). Kept the coin & later submitted raw: PCGS XF40 LOL! Fails: Econ(8) Regular(2) Express(2); ICG: 30/30 NGC: 0 ANACS: 0
Pillar of the Community
United States
6188 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2018  10:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
if this piece saw circulation it was 1 day...AU58 details
Pillar of the Community
United States
4293 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2018  10:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I still think AU-58 Details, cleaned.
Collector of all classic US coinage.

How to identify cleaned coins: http://goccf.com/t/319679
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.65 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05