Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1910 Quarter wearing a bonnet with all the stars visible

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

United States
45 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2018  11:42 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Winona to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This One is worn but it seems to be nicely evenly Worn.
Very curious on what grade this one would get.
I sure appreciate you guys that do answer can I hope I'm not being too annoying by posting all these.

Pillar of the Community
United States
3937 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2018  11:51 pm  Show Profile   Check Adam_E's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Adam_E to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This looks like a nice G-6. The rim isn't fully complete on the reverse, but I don't think that's enough to go lower

And don't worry, we get some sort of sick satisfaction out of looking at coins, as long as the pictures are as good as these, we're happy to help grade them

Also for future reference these are commonly referred to as " Barber quarters" and less commonly "Liberty Head Quarters".
Edited by Adam_E
07/07/2018 11:55 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
5843 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2018  11:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
g6 details cleaned
United States
45 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2018  12:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Winona to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
" Sick satisfaction" ha, love it.
What exactly does details cleaned mean?
It's possible that my great grandmother could have cleaned these long ago they have been in my storage unit for 13 years inside of a secret drawer in her secretary, she passed away In 1996 so if any of these were cleaned it's been that long at least but I couldn't say for sure what she has done to them as for me I have done nothing to them I was told not to right away. I wish I did know more about them and about where others might be hidden. She was awfully good at hiding things because we also thought she was 98 when she died but she was a 103. A true Patriot she was name's Christine Colombo ( Colombo her middle name after Christopher Columbus) she taught at the university, wrote a book about Horace Greeley , and was an artist, aside from coin collecting and stamp collecting. Next I'll need help either too. Maybe somebody can steer me in the right direction for a site that is good at stamps actually their 1st issue covers a lot of them so they have these beautiful envelopes in these big stamps in their 3rd for everything 1st flight all the ships and just ,all the Old cars, all the President's. Anyway I digress this is not staying on topic sorry.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9170 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2018  08:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes we are all coin addicts . Some of us eat a bowl of Wheaties (cents) for breakfast .
Your Barber quarter grades about G-06 she's showing a lot of wear but not too shabby .
Don't take life too seriously and remember it is just a passing fad ......
Michael Philip Jagger

Pillar of the Community
United States
6943 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2018  10:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
G-6. Hairlines are from circulation, not cleaned.

A good website about stamps is https://www.stampcommunity.org . The owner of both the Stamp Community and Coin Community is the same (Bobby).
Collector of all classic US coinage.

How to identify cleaned coins: http://goccf.com/t/319679
Edited by SilverDollar2017
07/08/2018 10:37 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15719 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2018  12:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Definitely NOT cleaned. You could never achieve this circulation cameo from a previously cleaned coin.

Although this is not a high value coin, it is a wonderful addition to a nice collection.

Never worry about putting coins up the way you are doing it. Nice photos with exact questions make us into happy puppies receiving a crunchy treat
Bedrock of the Community
10197 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2018  12:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Never worry about putting coins up the way you are doing it. Nice photos with exact questions make us into happy puppies receiving a crunchy treat

Exactly!
Pillar of the Community
United States
5843 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2018  12:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What kind of hairlines develop from normal circulation?
Pillar of the Community
United States
6943 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2018  1:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What kind of hairlines develop from normal circulation?

When a coin is worn so smooth like the OP coin, it often develops hairlines like this. This does NOT mean the coin has been cleaned. Usually hairlines like this are caused by heavy circulation. If the coin had light colored surfaces along with hairlines, it would grade "cleaned." However, as this coin exhibits original crusty surfaces, we can tell the hairlines are caused by circulation.

Pillar of the Community
United States
5843 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2018  2:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your answer does not explain how hairline scratches develop from circulation. This coin looks clearly wirebrushed.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3937 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2018  2:52 pm  Show Profile   Check Adam_E's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Adam_E to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Notice how the hairlines are pretty much only visible on the devices and the area where the rim was compromised. This makes me think theyre from the coin being slid across a sighty abrasive surface like a wooden table, maybe even a vending machine or coin counter. In any case I dont thing id consider it to be enough damage to warrant a details grade, I may be wrong though.
Edited by Adam_E
07/08/2018 3:02 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
6943 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2018  3:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Your answer does not explain how hairline scratches develop from circulation. This coin looks clearly wirebrushed

It looks like an average heavily circulated Barber coin to me, NOT wirebrushed. If my explanation is not adequate, I recommend you ask our grading experts about this - Coinfrog, Moxking, IndianGoldEagle, or our resident Barber expert - two_tonevf35.

Pillar of the Community
United States
5843 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2018  3:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
this coin displays damage not just wear.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6943 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2018  4:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
this coin displays damage not just wear.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
29633 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2018  4:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
G-06 straight with nice circulation cameo. No indication of cleaning at all. Flash is exaggerating stray surface marks.
Edited by Coinfrog
07/08/2018 4:51 pm
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.15 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05