Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Filling the final holes in my albums  

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2018  09:52 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add NYcoinguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi, I'm new to the forum. I'm coming back to my coin collection after many years. Now in my mid-fifties I finally have the means where I can start exploring filling the key dates that have remained empty for so long. I'm not a slab guy, as a matter of fact the slabbing of coins was what turned me off to collecting years ago. Don't get me wrong, I realize that certification has an important place, especially with high end coins and the proliferation of (very good) counterfeits. When I finally go to buy my 1909-S VDB I will certainly get a slabbed coin from a reputable dealer but that leads me to a question that OCD part of me has to consider...what can I do with the hole that remains in my Dansco album that will satisfy me? I know I can't be alone in this dilemma, LOL. So what do you do? Looking for any suggestions that will allow me to sleep at night LOL.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2267 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2018  10:00 am  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You could always crack the slab and fill the hole. I’ve done that. It feels good.
http://goccf.com/t/303774
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Bedrock of the Community
United States
23039 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2018  10:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. You could fill the hole with a counterfeit one.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2018  10:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NYcoinguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
John1, For a half second I considered that. Then I thought that after I'm pushing up daisies someone might try to pass it off as real. THEN I thought I could counter-stamp the back to say copy, but on principal I don't want to contribute, even a couple of bucks, to the counterfeiters. Chafemaster, as much as I dislike what slabbing has become I don't think I'd want to crack it out when it proves the coin is genuine. This is assuming, of course, that the slab isn't a fake as well. I know I'm over thinking this, maybe I could just stick a 1909 into the spot and spend a few dollars on therapy to help me understand why I have this "need". In any case I have no need to worry about it until I actually have the coin or even a good candidate!
Learn More...
United States
58050 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2018  11:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
When I finally go to buy my 1909-S VDB I will certainly get a slabbed coin from a reputable dealer but that leads me to a question that OCD part of me has to consider...what can I do with the hole that remains in my Dansco album that will satisfy me?
Crack it out of the slab and put into the albums. This is what I will do when the time comes. You can tape the label inside the binder for posterity.

Quote:
I don't think I'd want to crack it out when it proves the coin is genuine.
Take good photos of the coin before and after cracking. Keep them handy for your heirs or if you ever want to see the coin. Plenty of people will understand why you removed the cent from the slab and put it in the album.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7158 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2018  11:13 am  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I know I'm over thinking this, maybe I could just stick a 1909 into the spot and spend a few dollars on therapy to help me understand why I have this "need"

I can relate, I tell my wife to be careful selling when I am gone, but I really have no control over anything she does. I suggested having Heritage Auction it off before she goes and dumps at a LCS. A local auctioneer who does coin auctions regularly is a good choice. I guess it doesn't matter even though I have a half decent inventory and they are organized in the safes.
Next time I see my daughter and grandkids, I am going to give them instructions in case the stuff lands in their lap. I am going to be sure to tell them not to count on inheriting them though. Wife comes first.
They have no concept of just how short life actually is.

As far as "fakes", I have a dozen or so. The 2.5 x 2.5 flips they are in clearly shows Counterfeit on the holder although they don't have COPY stamped on them.
W.A.N.S. Pennsylvania - 45th Williamsport Area Numismatic Society Coin Show ~ July 28 2018
ALWAYS A great coin show & getting better every year! ANACS will be there for submissions - SEE YOU THERE!
More information http://goccf.com/t/312115
Pillar of the Community
United States
4301 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2018  11:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would just crack it out and put it in the album. Done that many times myself.
Collector of all classic US coinage.

How to identify cleaned coins: http://goccf.com/t/319679
Learn More...
United States
58050 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2018  11:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I would just crack it out and put it in the album. Done that many times myself.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5321 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2018  12:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I know I'm over thinking this, maybe I could just stick a 1909 into the spot and spend a few dollars on therapy to help me understand why I have this "need"

This is the partially same thing the grading companies rely upon to sell their product. They know there is a psychological "need" humans have to see an "experts" opinion on something valuable. So you definitely are not alone!

As jbuck said - crack it out after taking pics. Tape the label to the inside of the ablum...if you feel a need.

Remember that if it is cracked out and resubmitted, it is NOT guaranteed the same grade every again. Remember that depending on which company you would send it to to get re-slabbed, the standards between companies are different so it likely (again) would not get the same grade!

The reason I did get mine slabbed was b/c, as you said, I did not want it mistaken for just a penny when I am gone. However, this was before I got my albums. I plan on eventually making/buying some all plastic albums and will likely break it out then...and regret wasting the money initially!

As to fakes, do some reading here on this forum. While the fakes are good to the untrained eye, research solves the problem pretty much with anything normal collectors will encounter. I also deliberately bought some fakes off of eBay when it was allowed years ago to study them.

- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Real men play Fizzbin.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
296 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2018  1:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mtuma3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ive cracked a few slabs for my 7070 album. Some of those I just wanted to make sure it's genuine. Took pics before breaking them out.
ANA Member
Mark
Official Snowbird!
Illinois in Summer, Florida in Winter
Pillar of the Community
United States
8839 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2018  1:32 pm  Show Profile   Check Crazyb0's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Take the Whitman Lincoln Cent series, LWC's and LMC's. For the 1922 "no D", I put a weak D, for the 1955 DDO, a Poorman's Deteriorated Die example, 1972 DDO has a variety 008, the 09SVDB had a blank copper planchet before I bought a $2 faker in MS62 (), which is SOOooo obviously faked it don't need to be marked but the label is marked on any of my fakes as "copy".

Other things to use are the Mint tokens from Mint and Proof sets, other variety coins as DDO/DDR or RPMs even. Now, I am a bit different. I use all blank pages and label accordingly to what I have,and the order in which I choose...works for me!

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4917 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2018  1:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Print out pictures of obverse and reverse in 1:1 scale on card stock, and put that in the album!
New Sale! Inexpensive classic Greek silver, over 2,400 years old!

http://goccf.com/t/323297
Learn More...
United States
58050 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2018  2:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Print out pictures of obverse and reverse in 1:1 scale on card stock, and put that in the album!
That may work for some and if it does then great.

However, it would really, really bug me!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3894 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2018  2:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To the Forum.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1340 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2018  2:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coconutjoe to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Some good advice above..

I have cracked out some coins to fill my albums
"Wisdom is not a product of schooling but of the lifelong attempt to acquire it."
- Albert Einstein

If you SEE a post milestone, 250, 500, 1000, 2500, 5000, 10K+, click below.
http://goccf.com/t/316031#2688706
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8411 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2018  3:49 pm  Show Profile   Check Errors and Varietys's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Errors and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To CCF!
Errors and Varietys.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.87 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05