Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1861 Seated Dollar for Grading - Circulation or Proof Strike?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Germany
1323 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2018  09:53 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add GERMANICVS to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Would appreciate your comments regarding the condition of this Seated dollar.
The pictures accurately reflect the tone and also (partially) capture the reflectivity of the fields.

Another thing which interests me is whether this is a circulation or proof strike.
Based on the what I have read on the internet this would be a circulation strike, but would like to have some further opinions.

Thanks!

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7470 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2018  10:48 am  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What a beautiful Seated dollar! I can't answer whether it is a proof or circulated issue.
I would get that professionally graded either way.
On the left of most every CCF page, I am trying to remember to use CCF Partners links. They are highlighted in lime green!
It helps CCF a little. Try it!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
13654 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2018  12:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
PR-58
Pillar of the Community
United States
6169 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2018  1:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
PR-58. Would have this graded by PCGS or NGC.
Collector of all classic US coinage.

How to identify cleaned coins: http://goccf.com/t/319679
Pillar of the Community
United States
1359 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2018  1:47 pm  Show Profile   Check Ploopy's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Ploopy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
http://seateddollarvarieties.com/18...ml#attribute

I am leaning towards proof for this, but you can attribute it better as you can have it in hand. PR58 seems correct. Beautiful Seated dollar!
Collector of any American coinage.

Coins for sale: https://www.ebay.com/sch/pifagor/m....g=200&_from=
Pillar of the Community
United States
6452 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2018  2:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
boy this looks like a proof strike. PF55
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
28844 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2018  4:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
PR-58, super example.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5675 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2018  4:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd say pf55 based on what look like rubbed and nicked surfaces. Beautiful coin
Pillar of the Community
Germany
1323 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2018  12:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GERMANICVS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the input.
I think you guys are correct that this is a circulated proof strike. I was not sure, thinking that it was a well struck circulation coin, but I found an interesting website this morning which discusses Seated dollars in great detail:

(I hope it is OK to link this, if not moderators please remove, thanks)
http://seateddollarvarieties.com/In...uction.shtml

It mentions that a characteristic of the one obverse die used for 1861 is slight doubling on the right side of the horizontal lines on the shield. I think this is shown on this close-up of the shield on my coin:

Edited by GERMANICVS
07/10/2018 12:09 pm
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.61 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05