Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Zengid Emir of al-Jazira

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Learn More...
United States
21704 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2018  8:53 pm Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Here is an area that I am just starting to get interested in. Medieval Islamic coinage. I confess I know very little about this area of collecting but for me one way to learn is to buy and study the coins. Here is one type that has interested me for some time so I picked this up for very little money.

It is an AE Dirham of Mu'izz ad-Din Sanjar Shah Emir of al-Jazira (northern Iraq) from 1180-1208 AD

The Zengid were a Muslim of Oghuz Turk origin that ruled parts of the Levant and upper Mesopotamia under the control of the Seljuks as governors.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zengid_dynasty

AE Dirham
31mm x 12.6g
Image of a face, this one has a small unknown counter mark on the left cheek. The surrounding legend is in Kufic.
The reverse is a Kufic legend which I am trying to find a translation for.

Reference A-1882, SS 85

Valued Member
United States
346 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2018  9:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kushanshah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The inscription begins on the obverse naming the ruler Sanjarshah (Sanjar Shah, Sanjar-Shah): al-malik al-Muzaffar Sanjar Shah bin Ghazi. The reverse center names the 'Abbasid caliph and Sanjarshah's Ayyubid overlord al-Nasir Yusuf (Saladin): al-Nasir li-Din Allah / amir al-mu'minin / al-malik al-Nasir / Yusuf bin Ayyub. In the reverse margin is the date, written out in words: (top) sana arba' / (left) wa themanin / wa khamsmi'at ("year four and eighty and five hundred"). It's always a plus having a coin that names Saladin, sort of a two-for-one. What you are seeing as a countermark is actually a trace of the undertype, which is also visible on the reverse. It is not uncommon for these coins to be struck over an earlier issue. Image below from Poole (1877), Catalogue of Oriental Coins in the British Museum. Vol. III: Turcomans, p. 227.

Edited by Kushanshah
07/09/2018 10:43 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3754 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2018  9:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice! The figurative coinage of the Turkish dynasties of Asia Minor and Mesopotamia is one of those collecting areas that has tempted me from time to time. I've eyed a number of them in Wayne Sayles' listings, and other venues, through the years, but never took the plunge. I think the large AE's of those groups- the Zengids, Seljuqs, and Artuqids - are very appealing. I know that Turkoman Figural Bronze Coins and Their Iconography by Sayles and William Spengler, which I believe consists of a couple volumes, is a good reference for these.

Really nice addition there, Ron. Countermark on the cheek, or perhaps an overstrike with lettering from the host coin showing through?
Valued Member
United States
346 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2018  10:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kushanshah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Arabic Translations:
Obv. "the king the Victorious Sanjar Shah (both "Sanjar" and "Shah" mean "king" in Persian) son of Ghazi ("Warrior", i.e. Sayf al-Din Ghazi I, apparently no coins)".
Rev. "Defender of the Faith of Allah (regnal name of the caliph) / commander of the faithful (traditional title of the caliph) / the king the Victor / Yusuf (Joseph) son of Ayyub (Job)".
Edited by Kushanshah
07/09/2018 10:29 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5183 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2018  12:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice, and good example with a clear undertype showing!
New Sale! Inexpensive classic Greek silver, over 2,400 years old!

http://goccf.com/t/323297
Learn More...
United States
21704 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2018  12:17 am  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow Kushanshah that is great information. With it making a reference to Saladin that makes it all the more interesting. Well worth the $25 I paid for it.

Thanks Bob for your comment and the information on the reference. I'll see if copies are available.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
885 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2018  12:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice looking coin!

I don't know anything about these but I can see the appeal!

Congrats Paul
Learn More...
United States
21704 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2018  8:44 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bob I just bought the two books, also have an Artuqid coin on the way.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3754 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2018  10:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent. Sounds like you're committing to building a subcollection. Looking forward to seeing the new coin when it arrives.
Learn More...
United States
21704 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  03:08 am  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You know me my tastes run everywhere, I like to find new coin areas and try and build small collections. My main interest still is Sasanian.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.55 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05