Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Running Thread! Let's See Some Ancient (And Medieval) Eye Candy!

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 204 / Views: 11,622Next Topic
Page: of 14
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1779 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2018  05:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add maridvnvm to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Maximinus II Daia - Follis

Obv:- IMP C GAL VAL MAXIMINVS P F AVG, Laureate head right
Rev:- GENIO AVGVSTI, Genius, naked but for chlamys fastened at his right shoulder and hanging from his left shoulder, standing facing, head left, wearing modius, holding head of Serapis, which faces him, in right hand and ornate cornucopia in left arm behind
Minted in Alexandria (* / N / Branch | B / ALE). A.D. 312-313
Reference:- RIC VI Alexandria 160b

Learn More...
United States
23415 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2018  08:13 am  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The detail on that coin is beautiful.
Pillar of the Community
Belgium
1183 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2018  11:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add antwerpen2306 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Charles the Bald : 843/877 , king of France .
Prou 699/701 . albert
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9371 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2018  9:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Roman Empire (Antoninus Pius) -- denarius, 148-149AD (RSC 240):

Pillar of the Community
Belgium
1012 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2018  04:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1c5d7n5m to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Spanish Netherlands

One tenth of a Philipsdaalder (small silver piece, 3,2 grams) from the province of Ghelders, 1562. This coin circulated 10 years before it got counterstamped (as always in the neck of king Philip II) in 1572.

Early coin of the Dutch revolt and the 80 years war; the stamp of Zeeland (lion in the sea - Delmonte 141E) is rare

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1779 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2018  07:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add maridvnvm to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Probus

Obv:- IMP C M AVR PROBVS AVG, Radiate bust left in imperial mantle, holding sceptre surmounted by eagle
Rev:- SOLI INVICTO, Sol in a spread quadriga facing, radiate, cloak billowing out behind, raising right hand, holding whip in left
Minted in Serdica (KAB in exe)
Reference:- RIC 862 Bust type H
A lovely example with a good strike and fully silvered

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1779 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2018  11:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add maridvnvm to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Maximinus II Daia - Follis

Obv:- IMP C GAL VAL MAXIMINVS P F AVG, Laureate head right
Rev:- GENIO AVGVSTI, Genius standing left, modius on head, naked but for chlamys at waist, left hand holding cornucopiae and right hand holding head of Sol
Minted in Antioch (* | E/D / ANT). A.D. 312
Reference(s) - RIC VI Antioch 164b

Flan flaw on eye of bust on pbverse otherwise a pleasing example

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1779 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2018  11:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add maridvnvm to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Constantine the Great, Follis

Obv:- IMP C CONSTANTINVS P F AVG, Laureate, draped bust right (seen from the rear)
Rev:- GENIO POP ROM, Genius standing left, wearing modius and chlamys, sacrificing from patera on flaming altar and holding cornucopiae
Minted in Lugdunum (CI | H/S / PLC) A.D. Autumn A.D. 308 to start A.D. 309 (Bastien)
Reference:- Bastien 509 (75 examples cited). RIC VI 287 (though Bastien groups both Modius and Towered versions into one group)
6.35 gms. 25.67 mm.

Pillar of the Community
Belgium
1012 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2018  12:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1c5d7n5m to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
otherwise a pleasing example

seems like an understatement ; most pleasing eye candies
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
2167 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2018  12:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
WOW! Martin you do have some stunning coins in your collection... Paul
Pillar of the Community
United States
5531 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2018  12:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Martin you do have some stunning coins in your collection

Outstanding.
Learn More...
United States
23415 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2018  2:32 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A beautiful coin Martin.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1779 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2018  2:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add maridvnvm to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm glad I'm not spoiling the thread. I have a very eclectic collection. Most of my coins are not worthy of sharing.I hope that you don't mind me sharing a few more over time.

Constantius Gallus - AE2

Obv:- D N CONSTANTIVS IVN NBO(sic) C, Bare headed draped & cuirassed bust right; A
Rev:- FEL TEMP REPARATIO, Emperor standing left on galley, holding Victory on globe and labarum; Victory behind, steering galley
Minted in Siscia (III | * // BSIS)
Reference:- RIC VIII Siscia 329 var (would be C but obverse legend error)

5.16 gms. 23.42 mm. 180 degrees

Regards,
Martin
Valued Member
United States
223 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2018  3:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Landude to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I must say, I have never really considered collecting these but after
going through all 10 pages of this thread I am starting to change my mind.
Thank you all for sharing!
Learn More...
United States
23415 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2018  4:54 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Group of Mauryan Karshapana circa 200 BC.

Roman Emperor Carinius.
Page: of 14 Previous TopicReplies: 204 / Views: 11,622Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.78 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05