Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Running thread! Let's see some Ancient (and Medieval) eye candy!  

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7
Pillar of the Community
Australia
988 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  08:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nuggethill to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
2 gold solidus I have in my collection
Zeno Aug 474,476 and 491 (RIC 911)
obv:D N ZENO PERP AVG
rev:VICTORI A AVGGG S
CONOB in ex

Maurice Tiberius 582 - 602
obv: DM TIBERM AV RIC P P AV
rev:VICTORI A AVGG H
CONOB in ex

regards Harry
Harry
Edited by nuggethill
07/12/2018 09:49 am
Valued Member
Netherlands
430 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  08:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Archeo1982 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I will also add a couple of my finest medieval coins:
1st: denarius Louis the Pious 814-840, Metz in France.
2nd: Small denarius of Belgium city of Ghent, 1220-1244
3rd: Frisian sceatta, 6th-7th century (Low countries)

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
772 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  09:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice'n'shiny....Paul

Learn More...
United States
21398 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  2:55 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Bactrian Meander

Kushanshah Ardashir I

Kushan Vima Takht aka Soter Megas.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6115 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  4:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mark1959 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Constans AD 337-350 One of my smaller ancients - seems like 16mm

My biggest fear is that when I die my wife will sell all my coins for what I told her I paid for them.

Working on Whitman Large Cent date set album 1793-1857 (57 holes filled of 64 total) now come the "toughies" - yikes!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4910 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  5:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great examples all! (And Paul, you know I love that Gadhaiya!)

Here are some of my favorite Sassanian coins:

Ardashir I

Shapur I

Bahram II Family portrait

Peroz I

I really need to get a nice, later Khusro II like Ron has, but every time I decide to bid on one, bidding goes crazy!
New Sale! Inexpensive classic Greek silver, over 2,400 years old!

http://goccf.com/t/323297
Learn More...
United States
21398 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  6:04 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Love those Sasanian's. Still need to get me and Ardashir I
Learn More...
United States
21398 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2018  01:55 am  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Hungary, Bela III
Pillar of the Community
United States
1991 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2018  03:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MontCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great Thread Idea

Well my collection is very small right now and most of you have already seen my coins but I will post my 3 favorites. You will probably recognize them.

Quote:
This is good

Some of my favorite Romans (I focus primarily on portraits)

I chose these for their portraits.

Phillip "The Arab"...Got this one for the portrait and toning.

Valerian I... Love the portrait, toning, and how well centered this one is.

Elagabalus "Horned".... All I can about this one is WOW! Look at that portrait and luster this one still has.

That;s my 3 favorites so far. I'm sure this will change as I add more.
Learning one coin at a time.
ANA Member #3185431
Pillar of the Community
United States
2826 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2018  06:27 am  Show Profile   Check FVRIVS RVFVS's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add FVRIVS RVFVS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Last full day of vacation so I will toss in one last entry
This is the Alexander tet that I had placed in a box (safe keeping) and found itself laying adjacent to some wadded newsprint for a few years
It was quite ‘white’ went it went in
One of my very few silver ancients

Alexander III tetradrachm
posthumous issue of Philip III Arrhidaeus

IN GOD WE TRVST ....... all others pay cash !

COGITO ERGO SPVD
I think ...... therefore I yam
Learn More...
United States
21398 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2018  07:02 am  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It picked up a beautiful tone, super coin.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
772 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2018  07:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Lovely looking coin!

Paul
Pillar of the Community
United States
2826 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2018  07:43 am  Show Profile   Check FVRIVS RVFVS's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add FVRIVS RVFVS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It was quite “accidental” but the results were ...... magnificent !
One of my personal “problems” I have with looking at displays of ancient silver is why do I always need to wear polarized sunglasses when I admire it ?
I much prefer the ‘antique’ look over the ‘made yesterday’ look !
IN GOD WE TRVST ....... all others pay cash !

COGITO ERGO SPVD
I think ...... therefore I yam
Pillar of the Community
United States
647 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2018  12:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
denarius Louis the Pious 814-840, Metz in France.

@archeo1982, that is a great coin. I've had just a few Carolingians in my collection, and I know any with portraits are rather rare, especially in such good shape.

Edited by tdziemia
07/13/2018 12:41 pm
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1636 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2018  3:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add maridvnvm to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Athens, AR Tetradrachm, ca 393 - 370 BC
Obv:– Head of Athena right with eye seen in true profile, wearing crested helmet ornamented with three olive leaves and floral scroll
Rev:– owl standing right, head facing, to right ATE in large lettering, to left olive sprig and crescent
Minted in Athens c. B.C. 393 - 370.
Reference:– Flamen p. 126, 1 (Pi I); Svoronos Athens plate 19, 17; SNG Cop -

16.699g, 24.31mm, 270o

"Transitional style tetradrachms include all of the wide spectrum of variants with the eye in profile issued after the classic "old style" almond eye tetradrachms but before the broad thinner flan "new style" tetradrachms. Recent research has classified variations of the transitional style - Pi Type, Quadridigité Style, Heterogeneous Style and sub-groups of the styles, and proposed chronologies for the different styles and groups.

This coin is the earliest transitional type, the first Pi style type, essentially identical to the "old style" with the exception of the eye in profile. The "Pi" designation is based on the P shape of the floral spiral and palmette ornamentation on the helmet bowl. The coin can be classified as Pi style, group 1. The floral ornament on examples this early do not yet resemble Pi."

Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.74 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05