Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Running Thread! Let's See Some Ancient (And Medieval) Eye Candy!

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 204 / Views: 11,623Next Topic
Page: of 14
Valued Member
Netherlands
489 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2018  3:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Archeo1982 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
that is a great coin. I've had just a few Carolingians in my collection, and I know any with portraits are rather rare, especially in such good shape.

@tdziemia: Thanks! The coins from the early middle ages are (for me) the most interesting coins! Which denari do you have? I have another one. It's in my avatar Until this far, I only have two of his son Louis the Pious, minted in Dorestatvs. My most wanted would be an Portrait denarius of Charles the Great.

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1779 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2018  3:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add maridvnvm to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Kyme, Aeolis, AR Tetradrachm

Obv:- Head of Amazon Kyme right, wearing taenia
Rev:- Horse walking right, oinochoe below, ΚΥΜΑΙΟΝ left, ΚΑΛΛΙΑΣ (magistrate) in ex, all in wreath;
Ref:- SNG Von Aulock 1636, SNG Cop 103
ex Pegasi; ex Forum;
weight 16.392g, maximum diameter 33.1mm, die axis 0o

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1779 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2018  3:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add maridvnvm to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ptolemaic Kingdom, Ptolemy VI Philometor, 180-145 B.C., Tetradrachm

Obv:- Diademed head of Ptolemy I right wearing aegis
Rev:- PTOLEMAIOY BASILEOS, eagle standing left, head left, on thunderbolt, wings closed
Minted in Alexandria, B.C. 180-145
Reference:- Svoronos 1489, SNG Cop 262

14.031g, 27.3m, 0o

Additional comments from Forum - "Ptolemy VI became king in 180 B.C. at the age of about 6 and ruled jointly with his mother, Cleopatra I, until her death in 176 BC. From 170 to 164 B.C., Egypt was ruled by Ptolemy, his sister-queen and his younger brother Ptolemy VIII Physcon. In 170 BC, the Seleukid King Antiochus IV invaded and was even crowned king in 168, but abandoned his claim on the orders from Rome. In 164 Ptolemy VI was driven out by his brother. He went to Rome and received support from Cato. He was restored the following year. In 152 BC, he briefly ruled jointly with his son, Ptolemy Eupator, but his son probably died that same year. In 145 B.C. he died of battle wounds received against Alexander Balas of Syria. Ptolemy VI ruled uneasily, cruelly suppressing frequent rebellions."

Edited by maridvnvm
07/13/2018 3:56 pm
Learn More...
United States
23415 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2018  3:57 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Stunning coin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5531 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2018  3:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Superb coins, Martin. Beautiful.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2392 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2018  4:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MontCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
WOW! What a gorgeous coin maridvnvm!

Thanks for sharing it.
Learn More...
United States
23415 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2018  4:27 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Ptolemy XII
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1779 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2018  5:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add maridvnvm to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
L Papius Denarius Serratus, Papia 1

Obv:- Head of Juno Sospita right, wearing goat skin tied under chin. Behind head, Dolphin wrapped around anchor.
Rev:- Gryphon running right; in ex., L. PAPI.; in field, Hippocamp
Minted in Rome from . B.C. 79.
Reference(s) - RSC Papia 1. RRC 384/1. RCTV 311.
Symbol variety - RRC -. Babelon -. BMCRR -.

A previously unknown symbol pair and the only known example.

Symbol variety - RRC 76. Babelon 76. BMCRR 12.

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1779 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2018  5:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add maridvnvm to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Constantius II - AE2 - RIC VIII Antioch 132

Obv:- D N CONSTANTIVS P F AVG, Pearl diademed, draped, cuirassed, bust right
Rev:- FEL TEMP REPARATIO, Helmeted soldier to left, shield on left arm, spearing falling horseman; shield on ground at right. Horseman is bearded and falls forward reaching towards emperor (type FH3)
Minted in Antioch (Gamma | _ //ANS). A.D. 350-355
Reference:- RIC VIII, Antioch 132

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9121 Posts
 Posted 07/14/2018  10:25 pm  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't have a large budget for ancients but here are some of the nicer ones I've been able to pick up!!

Longhorn Coins & Exonumia
Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC - CCT #890

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4186 Posts
 Posted 07/14/2018  11:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The coins from the early middle ages are (for me) the most interesting coins! Which denari do you have?

I just sold this Charles le Chauve denier form the St. Denis mint. No portrait, bit it's a mint that's a bit less common. I also have a temple denier of Lothaire that I need to photograph.

Pillar of the Community
Belgium
1184 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2018  06:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add antwerpen2306 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Beautiful coins . I hope to see much more .
Here some of mine :
Dyrrhachium , AR drachme , class D2 , 176/140 BC.

Laranda , AR obole , 324/323 BC

Babylon , AR tetradrachm , 323/319

Roman Republic , AR denarius , 209/208 BC

Rome , Augustus , AR denarius , 15/12 BC

Rome , Traianus , AR denarius , AD 103/111

Byzantium , Phocas , AU tremissis , AD 601/610

France , Charles le Chauve , denier , Melle , 843/877. albert
Pillar of the Community
United States
5531 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2018  10:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Man, the great stuff keeps coming. Wonderful coins, all.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6030 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2018  12:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Himyar Kingdom
Amdan Bayyin AR scyphate quinarius

Not the most skillfully engraved, but I find it charming.
My Collections:
Roman Imperial
http://goccf.com/t/348979
Japan Type set Tokugawa + Modern
http://goccf.com/t/348999
Indo Sassanian
http://goccf.com/t/322087
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9371 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2018  12:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Umayyad Caliphate -- 1 dirham, 734 AD:

Page: of 14 Previous TopicReplies: 204 / Views: 11,623Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.8 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05