Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Running Thread! Let's See Some Ancient (And Medieval) Eye Candy!

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 204 / Views: 11,608Next Topic
Page: of 14
Pillar of the Community
United States
1131 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2018  03:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kushanshah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't really collect anymore but I kept pretty good records when I did. Once upon a time when gold was still around $400 per ounce, coins like this one were relatively affordable. I purchased this piece at the 2005 NYINC. It's an early Kushano-Sasanian gold dinar, 3rd century AD, similar to the coins of the Kushan king Kanishka II but with minor differences including a slightly scyphate fabric. 7.92gm, 24mm. Göbl 665.
Edited by Kushanshah
07/16/2018 03:29 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4197 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2018  03:14 am  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just discovered this thread. Wow there are some beautiful coins here so far. I'm not a collector of ancients or medieval but very tempting. Thanks for sharing.
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Learn More...
United States
23411 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2018  06:11 am  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One of my dream coins.
Learn More...
United States
23411 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2018  06:20 am  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Ilkhan Huns circa 1304
Learn More...
United States
23411 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2018  08:42 am  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Kingdom of Jerusalem AR Dirham Islamic style circa 1240.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4173 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2018  2:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So many interesting and attractive (or both!) coins.
I just received the package that was the subject of this other thread http://goccf.com/t/322061 and thought I would post one of the items. It's from the end of the medieval period (depending on how we count, I guess), but as the motifs were used on coins here for at least a half century before, I'm comfortable including it.
Wismar (Germany) doppelshilling 1563. I like the bull with its tongue hanging out on the Wismar coat of arms (it's the bull of Mecklenburg, the chief city of that region), and the imagery of St. Lawrence.
St. Lawrence was a deacon in Rome who was martyred on August 10, 258 during the persecution of Emperor Valerian (I bet we have his image on a coin upthread). According to Christian tradition, he was martyred by being roasted alive, hence he is shown holding a gridiron.

Edited by tdziemia
07/16/2018 2:45 pm
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1779 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2018  2:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add maridvnvm to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Geta denarius

Obv:- IMP CAES P SEPT GETA PIVS AVG, Laureate head right
Rev:- PONTIF TR P COS II, Geta on horseback riding left, spearing enemy beneath.
Minted in Rome. A.D. 209
Reference:- BMC p. 359 17. RIC 68 (Rated Rare), RSC 130. Only 4 examples in RD so quite a rare coin on that basis

Pillar of the Community
United States
1131 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2018  4:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kushanshah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@echizento Very nice Ilkhanid double dirham. In case you don't have the full details, it's Uljaytu, Kashan mint, AH 714.
Learn More...
United States
23411 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2018  5:12 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks KS.

@tdziemia very nice coin, I like that Coat of Arms.
Valued Member
United States
75 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2018  7:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add xxmarkabyx to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's two of mine I really enjoy looking at... somebody shared their own example of the second coin pictured... great image!

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9350 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2018  12:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My oldest Hungarian Denar -- 1131-1141:

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4173 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2018  07:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@xxmarkabyx, that's a nice pair of coins!

On the Lorraine coin, if I am not mistaken, yours is from Duke Thibaut II (1302-1312), one duke earlier than the one I posted. The two coins differ by just one letter in the legends. And I like the "modern" representation of John the Baptist on the Tuscan florin. I was not familiar with that type compared to the earlier representation:.
Edited by tdziemia
07/17/2018 07:26 am
Learn More...
United States
18234 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2018  7:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So many great coins posted so far--I have really enjoyed looking at all of them!

For my ancient coin contribution to this thread, here is a fave from my collection: my first (and only) owl tet.

"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9350 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2018  12:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Saxony-Meissen/Zwickau -- spitzgroschen, 1478:

This coin is pretty common (according to Levinson). I wonder how many of these we'll see when the "How far back can we go" thread reaches 1478?
Learn More...
United States
18234 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2018  04:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I wonder how many of these we'll see when the "How far back can we go" thread reaches 1478?

At least two I think, although I'd post my Double Briquet from Flanders.

"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Page: of 14 Previous TopicReplies: 204 / Views: 11,608Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.81 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05