Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Running Thread! Let's See Some Ancient (And Medieval) Eye Candy!

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 204 / Views: 11,613Next Topic
Page: of 14
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4177 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2018  07:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like that owl tet. Since I'm ignorant on ancients, is that distinctively un-round shape the norm?!

And that spitzgroschen is in great shape!

I don't have Levinson, so I'm curious if the Brabant double briquets are also considered fairly common? Like @spence, I've also got a couple of those in the 1470s.

But to post another contemporaneous, but undated coin ... Not exactly eye candy, as it looks like it was struck on an undersized planchet, so, much of the legends are missing. This Naples coronato of Ferdinand of Aragon 1458-94. Purchased for the image of the archangel Michael skewering the serpent (not the ugly mug on the obverse)

Pillar of the Community
Belgium
1183 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2018  09:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add antwerpen2306 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coin with a typical Italian representation of Ferdinand .
For the tetradrachm , this un-round form is typical for this coins of the second half of the 4th century . The flan was not casted but the coin is a restrike : the original coin is hammered flat to form a more or less regular flan with an increased diameter , then hammered down to a semicercle and then repeated to form a quarter circle, then this quadrant is heated and hot struck .This coin is a Pi-III or Pi-IV style . albert
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6029 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2018  11:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The good coins just keep coming

Some more of my favorite Greeks:

Mysia, Parion AR Hemidrachm
350-300 BC

While not as impressive as some of the snarling Gorgons from Macedon, this is my favorite Gorgon coin, from halfway through her transformation from chthonic monster to femme fatale.

Cilicia, AR obol of Satrap Pharnabazos
380-374 BC

There is some scholarly debate about the identity of the helmeted bust, but many believe it to be the Satrap himself, which would make this one of the earliest portraits of a sitting ruler on coinage. I have a soft spot for Cilician obols; they come in a pleasing array of types, and are always expertly engraved at a micro scale.

Cilicia, unknown AR obol
4th century BC

At just 10mm, the skill required to make such a lifelike rendition of the two figures (Herakles and Zeus) is simply incredible.

Lycia, dynast Perikles, 1/3 stater
380-360 BC

Aesthetically pleasing, balanced design with an enigmatic language (Lycian) and a tiny little Helios control mark.

Seleucid empire, Antiochus I Soter Tetradrachm
281-261 BC

Apollo seated on the Omphalos is one of my favorite Seleucid motifs. Politically, they were making the assertion that they were the most important, "central" kingdom of the world, contrasting the long-standing belief that the honor belonged to Delphi.
My Collections:
Roman Imperial
http://goccf.com/t/348979
Japan Type set Tokugawa + Modern
http://goccf.com/t/348999
Indo Sassanian
http://goccf.com/t/322087
Pillar of the Community
Belgium
1183 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2018  11:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add antwerpen2306 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A bronze coin from Himera,Sicily;437-420 BC
AE 17 , hexas - hemilitra , SNGAns186 . albert

Pillar of the Community
Belgium
1183 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2018  11:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add antwerpen2306 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Imitation of a coin of Philippe II from Mecedon :
AR drachme , Kugelwange-type , Boii .
3/2th centuru BC , struck by the Skordosky in Syrmia ( Croatia-Serbia).13 mm ,1.56 gr . albert

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1779 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2018  3:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add maridvnvm to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Probus

Obv:- VIRTVS PRO-BI AVG, Radiate, helmeted, cuirassed bust left, holding spear and shield, decorated with emperor riding past row of soldiers with shields
Rev:- ADVENTVS PROBI AVG, Emperor riding left, right hand raised, left holding sceptre; at foot, captive
Minted in Lugdunum (IIII) Emission 5 Officina 4. End A.D. 277 to Early A.D. 278
References:- Cohen 69. Bastien 256 (2 examples). RIC 64 Bust Type G (S)
An obverse die match to the plate example in Bastien

Learn More...
United States
23412 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2018  4:28 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Steve that Antiochus looks familar
Learn More...
United States
23412 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2018  4:36 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

India, Sultans of Delhi, Muhammad III `1324-1352 AE Tanka
Learn More...
United States
23412 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2018  7:27 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Arab-Sasanian, Tabaristan Khurshid 740-761
Pillar of the Community
United States
5527 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2018  8:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Beautiful additions, Ron.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5527 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2018  8:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Phaataces and Musa drachm, 2 BC-4AD, a pretty good one for this rare type:

While, as an abstractionist myself, I can appreciate the above as "eye candy," in my earlier collecting days I gravitated towards Hellenistic naturalism - and, so, I'll include a collage of some used-to-own Greek tets below. I miss 'em all...

Edited by Bob L
07/18/2018 8:34 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4177 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2018  9:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Who needs museums?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9352 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2018  10:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Delhi Sultanate (Bahlul Lodi) -- 1 tanka, 1487 AD = 892 AH (Rajgor 1509):

This is the coin that broke through the 1487 barrier on the "How far back can we go?" thread. Usually the dates on these coins are at least partially off the flan, but this one's so clear that it makes you wonder if it's genuine.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9121 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2018  11:59 pm  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Won this handsome lad tonight. Love the chocolate color & the sharpness of the strike! An uncommonly nice common issue.

Galerius Valerius. AE Follis, 22mm, 7.9g.
Antioch mint, 308-309 AD.
RIC VI Antioch 106a

Obv: IMP C GAL VAL MAXIMIANVS P F AVG.
Laureate bust right.

Rev: GENIO IMP/ERATORIS. ANT in ex.
Genius, wearing modius and chlamys, standing left w/patera in right hand, pouring liquid over a fire altar. Cornucopia in left hand.
Crescent in left upper field / H in right field.

(Seller Photos)

Longhorn Coins & Exonumia
Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC - CCT #890

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Learn More...
United States
23412 Posts
 Posted 07/19/2018  02:20 am  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bob, I want one of those drachm's with Musa. That is a beautiful group of tets that you once owned, wish I had a group like that. They would be the highlight of my collection.
Page: of 14 Previous TopicReplies: 204 / Views: 11,613Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.87 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05