Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Running Thread! Let's See Some Ancient (And Medieval) Eye Candy!

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 204 / Views: 11,619Next Topic
Page: of 14
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1264 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2018  2:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add orfew to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Gorgeous french deniers @Pepactonius They are fantastic.

I have a few but I like this one very much

FRANCE. PROVINCIAL. Aquitaine. Guillaume X. 1127-1137. AR denier. 1.05 gm. 20 mm. Bordeaux mint. Four central crosslets; +GVILILMO around ("G" is made up of two distinct punches) / Short cross with flared ends; +BVRDEGVLA around. Poey D'Avant 2733. Roberts 4301. Good Very Fine. The Douglas Bayern Collection. William X, the father of Eleanor of Aquitaine, wife of Henry II of England.Davissons Printed Auction 37 Lot 328. Feburary 21, 2018.

"Cave ab homine unius libri"
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9371 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2018  12:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@orfew -- Your denier has a fantastic design, with the 4 X's (or 4 thick crosses) on the obverse.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9371 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2018  12:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Byzantine Empire / Phocas -- 1 solidus, 602-610 (Sear 620):

Pillar of the Community
Belgium
1012 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2018  05:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1c5d7n5m to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
amazing coins in this thread ! - here is one of my best eye candies

Philipsdaalder Vlaanderen 1575 (Delm.36) recovered in "mint state" from the coin find of Urk, the Netherlands in 1995. A hoard of 100 coins from 1500-1580 was hidden because of the plundering during the 80yrs war. Some justification marks at the back of the head made in the mint of Bruges.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4186 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2018  07:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Beautiful coin! Best portrait of Philip I have seen, and so often these coins are out of round in more substantial ways. Wow!
Pillar of the Community
Belgium
1012 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2018  12:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1c5d7n5m to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thanks, tdziemia, yes this piece is perhaps the best survivor of a type that is not rare at all; it must have been hidden in this hoard shortly after minting
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9371 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2018  9:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Roman Empire/Pannonia/Sirmium - Constantine I -- AE3 Nummus, 324-325 AD (Sear RCV 16286):

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4186 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2018  9:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Without even knowing about ancients, I can appreciate that one, pepactonius. You have a wealth of lovely coins for this thread!
While we have seen a lot of ancients here from "the boot" there have not been so many medievals, so I will contribute a couple from the duchy of Ferrara, a place I visited often for work, but which does not come up so often here.
First, a grossone (something like a double gros at 3.7 g) Duke Hercules I (1471-1505) with a nice renaissance potrait

And from a century earlier a more distinctly medieval "marchesano" (double denier) of Nioccolo III (1393-1441)

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
2167 Posts
 Posted 07/27/2018  03:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Couple of pretty ladies....Paul

Plautilla AR Denarius. 20mm/2.66gr minted 204 AD
Obverse-PLAVTILLA AVGVSTA, draped bust right
Reverse- VENVSVICTRIX, Venus standing left holding apple (pomegranite) & palm, leaning on shield,winged Cupid at her feet holding apple or pomegranite or helmet?
RIC# 369

Faustina II Junior Silver Denarius 3.36g.,17mm, Rome mint, A.D.154-156,
Obverse. FAVSTINA AVG-PIIAVGFIL Draped bust of Faustina right,
Reverse. CONC-O-RDIA, Concordia seated left, holding flower & resting left arm on cornucopiae set on globe below seat.
(RCV 4704; RIC 502a)
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1779 Posts
 Posted 07/27/2018  04:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add maridvnvm to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Septimius Severus Denarius

Obv:- IMP CAE L SEP-T SEV PERT AVG. Laureate head right
Rev:- SAEC FRVGIF COS, Saeculum Frugiferum., radiate, standing left, holding winged caduceus and trident
Minted in Rome. A.D. 193
Reference:- BMCRE -. RIC IV 19 (Rated Rare); RSC 622.

About 8 examples from 2 reverse dies known. This example from a different reverse die to the British Museum example.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4186 Posts
 Posted 07/27/2018  08:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like those ladies (don't tell my spouse ).
One aspect of collecting I have enjoyed while looking at "portrait" coins from the 15th to 18th centuries is how the monarchs were slaves to fashion. Maytbe the same is true of ancients?
The renaissance portrait of Duke Hercules of Ferrara I posted re-appears throughout Europe from about 1480 to 1540. "Pageboy" haircut, and usually clean shaven. After that, beards and shorter hair become the norm (see 1c5d portrait of Philip, and the Polish portrait of Stefan Batory). End 16th/onset of 17th century bring the ruffed collar ... and so on.
Pillar of the Community
United States
526 Posts
 Posted 07/27/2018  11:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jskirwin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Got my new camera and finally can put Doug Smith's photography methods to use. http://www.forumancientcoins.com/do...o2011ez.html

Aqulia Severa was a vestal virgin who somehow managed to avoid being buried alive for unchaste behavior by marrying the emperor Elagabalus - not once, but twice.
Pillar of the Community
Belgium
1012 Posts
 Posted 07/27/2018  5:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1c5d7n5m to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
beautiful coins, real eye candies, from the antique world and the Middle Ages, I am impressed

here is another portrait of Philippe II, ruler over an empire not seen since the decline of the Roman Empire

this is a half Philipsdaalder (Delmonte 62 )from Nijmegen, Ghelders, the Northern provinces, minted 2 years before the revolt began

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9371 Posts
 Posted 07/27/2018  11:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Roman Empire -- AR denarius, 214AD (Caracalla, Sear RCV 6814):

Pillar of the Community
Belgium
1012 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2018  05:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1c5d7n5m to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
a real eye candy, pepactonius

below a "Saint Stephanus Daalder" from Nijmegen, Ghelders, the Netherlands
not dated, minted in 1562 - Delmonte 636 (R2)

Page: of 14 Previous TopicReplies: 204 / Views: 11,619Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 1 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05