Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1985P-LC--Struct through die cap obverse ? and struct through reverse  

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community

United States
1672 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2018  5:50 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add 11997755 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I haven't found a struct through a die cap but maybe this is one. What's neat is it is struct through something on the reverse as well. Am I correct with my attribution ? Thanks for looking.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6115 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2018  5:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mark1959 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting coin. (Reverse is a lamination problem.) - guess that can't be, it's a zincoln.

Oh yeah, just noticed small die cracks in both corners of the Memorial base. Nice find!
My biggest fear is that when I die my wife will sell all my coins for what I told her I paid for them.

Working on Whitman Large Cent date set album 1793-1857 (57 holes filled of 64 total) now come the "toughies" - yikes!
Edited by Mark1959
07/12/2018 5:02 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3712 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2018  6:35 pm  Show Profile   Check Adam_E's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Adam_E to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It does look like it was struck through a late stage die cap, it's nice that the date is readable, definitely a plus in terms of value.

I agree with Mark's conclusion that the reverse has a lamination flaw, it probably wont have a significant effect on the coin's value one way or the other though.

All in all a very nice find and an interesting coin!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8270 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2018  6:42 pm  Show Profile   Check Errors and Varietys's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Errors and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice find and congratulations! It was Struck Through a Late Stage Die Cap on the obverse. On the reverse, you have a Die Crack, a Struck Through, and a Lamination as well. It's a multi error coin! Nice! http://www.error-ref.com/struck_thr...age_die_cap/

Edit: Make sure you put this in a 2x2 coin flip as soon as possible.
Errors and Varietys.
Edited by Errors and Varietys
07/11/2018 6:43 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1672 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2018  6:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 11997755 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks folks. I was hoping it was struct through a die cap. First one I've found. Will tuck it away in an air tight.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6115 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2018  7:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mark1959 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
On the reverse, you have a Die Crack,

Dos Amigo/s

My biggest fear is that when I die my wife will sell all my coins for what I told her I paid for them.

Working on Whitman Large Cent date set album 1793-1857 (57 holes filled of 64 total) now come the "toughies" - yikes!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8270 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2018  7:44 pm  Show Profile   Check Errors and Varietys's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Errors and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's even better then! I didn't see the second one at first. Man, this coin is a complete mess, but in a good way of course!
Errors and Varietys.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2030 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2018  7:44 pm  Show Profile   Check DrDon's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add DrDon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1985 lamination.
Could I get a weight on this coin?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1672 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2018  8:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 11997755 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Could I get a weight on this coin?

Weight is normal. 2.5 GM 40 GN
Bedrock of the Community
United States
23015 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2018  8:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice. I have only ever found one.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
3712 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2018  8:50 pm  Show Profile   Check Adam_E's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Adam_E to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It was probably a rolling indentation rather than a lamination
Pillar of the Community
United States
8826 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2018  9:10 pm  Show Profile   Check Crazyb0's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not seeing a lamination on reverse, not that crisscross on right base. That looks like a struck through debris(horizontal) but the vertical indention looks me PSD of some sort.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
30597 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2018  9:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks more like a struck through to me. Beings that zinc cents don't have lamination issues. Peeled plating struck through. But this is not a struck through foil. It is a lot stronger than foil.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
2030 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2018  9:36 pm  Show Profile   Check DrDon's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add DrDon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
coop:

Quote:
Beings that zinc cents don't have lamination issues

This is why I posted my question hoping others would see their error.
Valued Member
Learn More...
Canada
260 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2018  10:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KHatt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ya, with a die cap struck through debris seems more likely.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1668 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  4:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mikediamond to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As certain others have concluded, the obverse was struck through a late-stage die cap while the reverse shows two overlapping struck-through errors.
Error coin writer and researcher.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.77 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05