Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1874-S Liberty Seated Quarter for grading vs PCGS  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6784 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2018  9:17 pm Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm always a sucker for shades of gray...

This 1874-S w/Arrows Liberty Seated quarter is in a PCGS holder -- how do you think they graded it? I think it looks nice and mostly original. Holder seems to have a few light scratches. There is a little hit out to the left of the shield, and a couple of minor nicks here and there. Seller photos.

Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC
Specializing in 1932-1964 Washington quarters

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Edited by paralyse
07/11/2018 9:18 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
5230 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2018  9:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
vg8
Pillar of the Community
United States
4950 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2018  10:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jaobler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks VG-10 to me. Scratches on obverse should not be flagged as a problem at this level of wear. Surfaces otherwise look nice and original.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1298 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2018  10:59 pm  Show Profile   Check Ploopy's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Ploopy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm 99% sure this coin was on eBay so i'll refrain from a grade. Has nice original surfaces, I like it.
Collector of any American coinage.

Coins for sale: https://www.ebay.com/sch/pifagor/m....g=200&_from=
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6784 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2018  11:09 pm  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yup, it was on eBay. I saw it entirely by chance and it just so happened I didn't have one of these for type, and so I threw in a lowball bid and won it last minute. Between the slab and the coin, the seller lost a fair bit of money on the deal. :(

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Pillar of the Community
United States
4227 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  09:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
VG-10
Collector of all classic US coinage.

How to identify cleaned coins: http://goccf.com/t/319679
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
26646 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  2:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
VG-10.
Pillar of the Community
United States
763 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  4:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kurrency Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
VG-8

KK
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
532 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  11:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add two_tonevf35 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
VG8
PCGS submissions 2005-2015. Mailings(20) Orders(41) / 235 coin attempts. 12 Fails(5%) / Member vouchers(17%) Economy(63%) Regular(14%) Free(3%) Express(3%) / Barber 50c (49%) Classic Commemorative (40%) Hawaii(4%) Other(7%)/ Fails: Cleaned(2) Alt surfaces(1) Scratch(1) Damage(1) "86"(3) 2 Columbian & 1 BTW; Min Grade(2) DNC(2)-Same coin NGC XF40 Barber 50c. Express fees paid by seller (cross guarantee). Kept the coin & later submitted raw: PCGS XF40 LOL! Fails: Econ(8) Regular(2) Express(2); ICG: 30/30 NGC: 0 ANACS: 0
Pillar of the Community
United States
2760 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  11:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MikeF to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hate to be the negative Nancy, but I'm at g-6.
Hi, my name is MikeF and I'm a degenerate coin collector. I also like adventure, big trucks, long walks on the beach and the Kansas City Chiefs.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6784 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2018  9:44 pm  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Mike nailed it ;)

I think it's undergraded, personally; IBERTY is strongly visible (no L), perhaps the reverse holds it back from a 10 but the grader must have been on a bad day to not give it an 8.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
26646 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2018  10:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
With some detail on bust, Liberty and the eagle, I think this deserves a VG rating. This is under-graded.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12778 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2018  11:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
VG-8
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.7 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05