Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1968-D LMC - REVERSE Brockage/Capped Die Strike Error?  

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
90 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  05:41 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add kevcoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello CCF,

I'm not sure what the correct attribute is but looks like a REVERSE brockage/capped die strike error to me.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Thank you!

Edited by kevcoins
07/12/2018 09:07 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
3712 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  05:53 am  Show Profile   Check Adam_E's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Adam_E to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It was struck through a mid-late stage die cap, nice find! Its relatively uncommon to see the reverse side capped from my experience.

Edit: I actually think this might be an early stage cap considering the upside down impression of Lincoln, but i’d like a second opinion on that
Edited by Adam_E
07/12/2018 05:59 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
2861 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  09:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chase007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Adam is correct, it is a struck through a capped die and it is a nice one, further more I agree with Adam that it is not very often you see this on the reverse. it is time to put it in a 2x2
BTW where did you get it?
Edited by Chase007
07/12/2018 09:15 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
8827 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  11:07 am  Show Profile   Check Crazyb0's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
VERY nice! I'd venture to say it is a Mid-stage die cap, both images remain visible. It started with the reversed bust image, then goes to the memorial showing through with additional hits. That is indeed unusual, it is a wonder the collar assembly didn't "pop the cap" in it's motion upwards...rim is still actualized and not broadstruck! Really cool find, very collectable and worth a "pretty penny" !

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8276 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  11:34 am  Show Profile   Check Errors and Varietys's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Errors and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice find and congratulations! That's an awesome find!
Errors and Varietys.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1668 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  12:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mikediamond to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is an in-collar uniface strike.
Error coin writer and researcher.
Valued Member
United States
90 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  3:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kevcoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Chase007: I purchased a small box (which included 10-15 other interesting/potential error coins) at a local estate sale (Chicago suburb) for $20. This was about a year ago when I just started collecting.

Does anyone know what the approximate value is?

Thanks to everyone for the feedback.

Pillar of the Community
United States
2861 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  4:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chase007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey neighbor, you did very well for your $20 box , hope it yields more interesting finds.
Lets put it this way you've got more than double your money back so far. Let us see what else you've got.
Edited by Chase007
07/12/2018 4:10 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
939 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  4:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coppergold to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The diamond says it’s an in collar uniface strike.
Pillar of the Community
United States
939 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  4:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coppergold to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
http://www.error-ref.com/full-uniface-strike/

Mike Diamond is an expert in coins. FYI
Edited by Coppergold
07/12/2018 4:46 pm
Valued Member
United States
90 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  5:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kevcoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
mikediamond: Thanks for taking the time to evaluate my coin! It's awesome to know have we have access to true experts on CCF.

Does anyone think this coin is worth TPG?
Pillar of the Community
United States
939 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  5:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coppergold to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No. I do t think grading it would help you at all. I’d say it’s around 20 bucks give or take a ten or a twenty

Especially with those black spots on the obverse.
Edited by Coppergold
07/12/2018 5:49 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1672 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  6:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 11997755 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cool looking coin. Must be the season for finding funky ones.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
30597 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  6:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Mike.

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
07/12/2018 11:07 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1668 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  6:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mikediamond to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I also concluded that the underlying planchet was full-thickness because the raised ghost image of the Memorial and the incuse ghost bust of Lincoln are of equal strength. Had the ghost of the Memorial dominated, then the underlying coin would have been a thin planchet (rolled-thin or split). Full uniface strikes involving a thin planchet are much more common, presumably because they're more likely to evade the sweeping action of the ejector. The strength of the ghost images will vary, even with in-collar uniface strikes involving two full-thickness planchets. By the way, my site is error-ref.com not error-var.com.
Error coin writer and researcher.
Valued Member
United States
90 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  7:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kevcoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow! Thanks for putting this together. Glad we could contribute a little something to the community. A special thanks to mikediamond and all those who provided feedback.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.97 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05