Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

An Article About Discontinuing Lincoln Cents

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 60 / Views: 4,591Next Topic
Page: of 4
Pillar of the Community
United States
2301 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2018  08:52 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Just saw this article about the need to stop cent production. This is from a former politician here in N.C. who is now a panelist on one of our local political panels. Give it a read and let us know if you agree.

http://www.ncspin.com/isn't-it-abou...d=0a347e655c
"Nummi rari mira sunt, si sumptus ferre potes." - Christophorus filius Scotiae
Rest in Peace
10197 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2018  09:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
*** your bait was removed by the staff ***

Her how long will this post remain?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17710 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2018  10:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All the normal talking points for cent elimination, from a FORMER politician who would have had no say in the decision and who has come to this realization several years too late. If he had still been in office his voice to the representatives in Washington would have carried more weight than an average citizen. They still might, but not as much as when he was in office.
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5423 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2018  10:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I work part-time in a retail establishment. Most cash customers don't want the one cent pieces in their change and hand them back.

For me personally, I let them accumulate in my pocket, then use them at the automated cash register in the grocery store, while people wait behind me and glare.

I don't see it as a political topic. Just a question about practicality!

Phase it out.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1425 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2018  10:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jpsned to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I believe this is indeed about politics; if it weren't, then the penny would have been phased out a long time ago for practical purposes. I don't think any politician finds it safe to be associated with pushing to get rid of the penny, which includes getting rid of Abe Lincoln.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5423 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2018  10:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
He would still be on the $5 bill.
Learn More...
United States
113477 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2018  11:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A great article that makes all the same valid points we have been making for years.

Quote:
I don't think any politician finds it safe to be associated with pushing to get rid of the penny, which includes getting rid of Abe Lincoln.
Most politicians are spineless jellyfish.

The cent needs to go. It has needed to go for decades now. Those who want to keep it are just wrapped up in nostalgia.
Learn More...
United States
113477 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2018  11:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Her how long will this post remain?
1 hour and 48 minutes.
United States
25 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2018  12:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Taurus to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
jbuck, Most politicians are spineless jellyfish.

I knew there was something I liked about you.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2563 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2018  12:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nfine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The first coin I ever collected. Still a favorite, but I think it's time for the penny to go.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
17442 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2018  2:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
, I have enough Lincoln Cents to last 2 life times . I don't think I'll be missing them .

In Memory of Butch L.
and Jim U. rest in peace .
Learn More...
United States
113477 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2018  4:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When they legislate the cent out of circulation they can slip in a requirement that keeps them in mint and proof sets with a 95% copper composition.

Just an idea.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5423 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2018  4:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
United States
2383 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2018  7:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kopper Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Americans, myself included are slow to change. I wonder what the newspapers said about the elimination of the 1/2 cent 160+ years ago?

KK
Pillar of the Community
United States
8174 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2018  8:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Those who want to keep it are just wrapped up in nostalgia.

And I am one of them.

However, logic says the penny needs to go. So despite not personally liking the idea, I would back the politicians brave enough to get rid of pennies.

Except as jbuck said - keeping them, in copper, in special mint sets.
How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
Download and read: Grading the graders
Costly TPG ineptitude and No FG Kennedy halves
https://ln5.sync.com/dl/7ca91bdd0/w...i3b-rbj9fir2
Pillar of the Community
United States
2193 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2018  11:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just for reference, this is what you'll encounter in Europe, which from my recent experience is still very much based on cash.
Page: of 4 Previous TopicReplies: 60 / Views: 4,591Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.44 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: