Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1876 Trade Dollar - Genuine?  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2980 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2018  7:16 pm Show Profile   Check coinlover1899's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add coinlover1899 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
What do you think? I just got this coin in the mail today. If it is fake, it is a good one.

Note how not all parts of the lettering on the reverse are connected and how there are raised bumps on the obverse.

My name is Devin, and I have been collecting now for around 3 1/2 years. I love all US coinage. I set up at coin shows and sell on eBay with my dad
Visit my website:
https://www.InGodWeTrustCoinsAndCurrency.com/
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
27369 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2018  7:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fake, and an obvious one.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4941 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2018  7:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Obvious fake, unfortunately.
Collector of all classic US coinage.

How to identify cleaned coins: http://goccf.com/t/319679
Pillar of the Community
United States
2091 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2018  8:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2980 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2018  8:21 pm  Show Profile   Check coinlover1899's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add coinlover1899 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The seller does not offer returns, I started a 'return request' with a reason of 'changed my mind' with a description that I do not believe that it is genuine.

If he still refuses to accept my return I will change the reason to 'item looks counterfeit' (or something like that). That way he has to accept.
My name is Devin, and I have been collecting now for around 3 1/2 years. I love all US coinage. I set up at coin shows and sell on eBay with my dad
Visit my website:
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1029 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2018  8:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alpha2814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As a point of order, can we stop saying "obvious fake" without saying why? The OP didn't know, even called it "a good one" (if it's fake). It's not an obvious fake to them, and may not be obvious to some of the rest of us either.

This is supposed to be educational, not to make anyone feel stupid for not recognizing the allegedly obvious.
Working on: Peace dollars (two to go), US type (Bust era), Chinese pandas, and San Francisco tokens.

"Fear is the enemy of will. Will is what makes you take action; fear is what stops you, and makes you weak."
-- Sinestro to (my avatar) Hal Jordan, "Green Lantern" (2011)
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2980 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2018  9:29 pm  Show Profile   Check coinlover1899's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add coinlover1899 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
As a point of order, can we stop saying "obvious fake" without saying why? The OP didn't know, even called it "a good one" (if it's fake). It's not an obvious fake to them, and may not be obvious to some of the rest of us either.

This is supposed to be educational, not to make anyone feel stupid for not recognizing the allegedly obvious.

I totally agree with this statement. However, this did not hurt my feelings in the least. The coin still looks like a good fake to me. If coinfrog and the others think that it is an 'obvious' fake, I think that is awesome and I think they are incredible members to have on this forum.

Just a side note, the seller accepted my return.
Visit my website:
Pillar of the Community
United States
4941 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2018  11:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, what told me it was fake immediately were the raised bumps on the surfaces. They are usually indicative of fakes. Also, the mushy detail in the center of the obverse.

I apologize if I made anyone feel bad.
Collector of all classic US coinage.

How to identify cleaned coins: http://goccf.com/t/319679
Pillar of the Community
United States
1710 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2018  11:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thq to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
coinlover, you've done your diagnostics and built a good case for a fake. Did the seller's photos hide all the flaws?

Out of curiosity, is it silver?
"Two minutes ago I would have sold my chances for a tired dime." Fred Astaire
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2980 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2018  01:47 am  Show Profile   Check coinlover1899's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add coinlover1899 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I apologize if I made anyone feel bad.

You did not what so ever. If you ever see one of my posts, reply just as you did here. Please don't beat around the bush. If you were to have said "I think this could be a fake" I might have kept the coin. But since you said "obvious fake" I knew that I was not just seeing things and that this really was a fake trade dollar!

Quote:
Did the seller's photos hide all the flaws?

I bid on a lot of coins. This coin didn't have the best photos (and they weren't cropped very well). From a quick glance I figured it was real.

I don't know if it is silver or not, but it does not stick to a magnet.

By the way, the seller is very nice and is very apologetic.

Visit my website:
Pillar of the Community
United States
4867 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2018  8:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHuntingDrew to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I thought I was the obvious fake here all along...

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.71 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05