Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1860 Presidential token?  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
1529 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2018  7:24 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Arkie to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Rather the worse for wear, but it was tossed into a batch I was buying for free. Needless to say, the reference to free speech became ironic.

Pillar of the Community
United States
544 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2018  7:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bud250r to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like it.
Nice piece of history.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3256 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2018  11:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ExoGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great pick-up! The Sullivan-DeWitt # is AL-1860-70. While there were many Lincoln campaign tokens or medalets, I believe that this scarce issue is the only full frontal view of Lincoln; all others, being a profile view.

Likely, the piece was once holed for suspension. It apprears to me that someone later cut through from the rim into the hole and sharpened the cut-out edge. I've seen a number of early coppers bearing similar sharpened-edge cut-outs. These coins were repurposed as cutting tools for thread and string; this, likely for use by seamstresses,etc.

Here's a large cent that was similarly repurposed ....

Here's my uncut Lincoln medalet ....

Pillar of the Community
United States
1529 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2018  11:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Arkie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting that the reverse was off 90 degrees from the obverse.
Learn More...
United States
59123 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
3256 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2018  08:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ExoGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Interesting that the reverse was off 90 degrees from the obverse.

Interesting, yes, but die rotation seems to have been a fairly common occurrence as concerned privately made tokens and smaller medalets during the nineteenth century. Then too, there were ever so many types of token errors produced. I've long been drawn to collecting them.

As regards the commonly encountered rotated dies, the Philadelphia Mint produced a great nay of these in 1864. They're often found on the cent and Two Cent Pieces of that year; this, with up to a full, 180 degree rotation. They'll fetch a small premium at times,

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.54 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05