Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1854 Russian 3 Kopeks - Real or Fake?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2074 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2018  9:40 pm Show Profile   Check Paul Bulgerin's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add Paul Bulgerin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I purchased this 1854 3 Kopeks from a seller in the Russian Federation. The seller states he's a salesman who receives coins from suppliers, and not an expert, so he can't guarantee the authenticity of the coins he sells. While I don't collect Russian coins, I liked the toning on this one.

It arrived and, after examining it, I have doubts about its authenticity. It looks a little "too good" to be 164 years old and I suspect it is a modern fake. The "No No" site doesn't have an 1854 3 Kopeks, but it does have other dates from the series.

I have not been able to find a similar 1854 identified as a fake.

The seller's list of coins offered looks to have a lot of fakes on it (He only had a couple listed when I bid on this one), but, I'm no expert on Russian coins, so I thought I'd ask people what they think of it.

I have a 14 day return privilege.

Here are the seller's listings:

https://www.ebay.com/str/Siberian-C..._dmd=1&rt=nc

Thanks for your advice!

Paul Bulgerin
Edited by Paul Bulgerin
08/09/2018 9:53 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2074 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2018  9:43 pm  Show Profile   Check Paul Bulgerin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Paul Bulgerin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here are my photos of the coin.

Paul Bulgerin
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9107 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2018  9:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The seller's list of coins offered looks to have a lot of fakes on it

For me, this would be enough to not purchase this coin. I have no idea if this one is a fake, but it would always be in the back of my mind.
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Bedrock of the Community
10197 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2018  9:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You're kidding, right? $3 shipped, from Russian Federation? Suggest you compare the details of the eagle and feathers, globe in right claw, etc and the font of date. Oh, and composition maybe? Paul, these ARE ALL FAKE reproductions!

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces2416.html
Edited by Crazyb0
08/09/2018 9:53 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2074 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2018  9:58 pm  Show Profile   Check Paul Bulgerin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Paul Bulgerin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Back it goes. Thanks!
Paul Bulgerin
Pillar of the Community
United States
1634 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2018  10:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numismat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
At that price you may as well keep it as a reference example :)
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2074 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2018  11:14 pm  Show Profile   Check Paul Bulgerin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Paul Bulgerin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I didn't pay $3.00 for the coin. I paid $56.00, so it is not worth keeping. I've contacted eBay to ask for a return.

Unfortunately, since the seller only had a couple of other coins listed when I bought it, I didn't suspect it was a fake until after it had been shipped and I saw all his other new listings.
Paul Bulgerin
Bedrock of the Community
10197 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2018  11:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ugh! Yea, back it goes for that price. Ya know, when I buy a foreign coin in the auctions I deal in, I always check out Numista, the ID portion and then the price listings just to get a feel for the coin. Sometimes it's a real common coin that seems to be going for a ridiculous price even. I haven't been caught yet by doing that...knock on wood! LOL!
Pillar of the Community
Australia
3089 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2018  07:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gxseries to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
General rule of them is if a seller attempts to sell a lot of 'scarce' coins, almost all his / her coins are not genuine.
My partial coin collection http://www.omnicoin.com/collection/gxseries

My numismatics articles and collection: http://www.gxseries.com/numis/numis_index.htm Regularly updated at least once a month.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1235 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2018  10:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is the link to this type with the B.M. mint mark which the OP has (first link was to a different mint)
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces91150.html

Edited by tdziemia
08/10/2018 10:39 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2074 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2018  8:19 pm  Show Profile   Check Paul Bulgerin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Paul Bulgerin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have received my refund from the seller.
Paul Bulgerin
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.88 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05