Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Welcome To The "Loonie" Bin!

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 15
Valued Member
Canada
107 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2019  4:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add upc239 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
You must be a hockey fan as well as a loon fan

I'm not really a hockey fan, but definitely a loonie addict :) These coins were not on my radar at first, but then I had to come to grip that they were indeed loonies and they were dollars and my collection would feel incomplete without them. And once I started collecting them...well you know how the story ends...
Learn More...
United States
70929 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2019  5:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm not really a hockey fan
Whatchatalkinbout, Willis?
Valued Member
Canada
59 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2019  8:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Canuckl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow thats a beauty hockey loon collection. Go Canucks!
Valued Member
Canada
107 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2019  9:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add upc239 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The listed mintage's of some of those loons is pretty low

To be honest, I have a hard time believing the low mintage counts for some of these loonies. Less than 100 for 2009 oilers, flames and senators respectively?

Must be a mistake or an incomplete count?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4287 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2019  10:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As the price of the minipuck loonies rises, one would assume anyone bought at issue would be coming out in auctions or ebay, but very few shows up. I emailed the RCM a couple years ago regarding these ultra low mintage figures, especially the Edmonton one like 49 minted, they responded that the annual report is correct on these mintage of these loonies,just makes very little logic but these coins were minted to demand at the time, there was no demand.
Valued Member
Canada
107 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2019  10:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add upc239 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
just makes very little logic but these coins were minted to demand at the time, there was no demand

As you said...makes little sense...but I guess loonies weren't as popular back then.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
608 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2019  10:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add loonielewy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I have a hard time believing the low mintage counts

. But what if they were correct? .

Quote:
,just makes very little logic but these coins were minted to demand at the time

. They would need special equipment to make them, and need to recover the tooling cost. Such a small # just doesn't make sense. The mint is not in business to lose $. I think the mintages are way off. Just me though.
"B'eh....B'eh....B'eh...."

In memory of those members who left us too soon...
Edited by loonielewy
05/15/2019 11:15 am
Valued Member
Canada
295 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2019  1:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vonigohcr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great collection and I admire the tenacity to complete it.

Quote:
They would need special equipment to make them, and need to recover the tooling cost.

All of these coins are the same with the exception of the year from an engraving/tooling perspective. The difference is in the decal applied.

It is the same as the Hockey quarters from 2006/7 and the Occasions quarters from 2007-2010.

I was happy to see the return of the engraved quarters in 2011 and the end of this dollar series. It is one thing for a coin to have the Reverse design primarily painted/decal if it is a one off (2010 Vancouver Lucky Loonie) but for an entire series within a date differing only in the decal is a bit cheap regardless of the packaging and subject matter.
Page: of 15 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.79 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05