Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Welcome To The "Loonie" Bin!

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 267 / Views: 20,734Next Topic
Page: of 18
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
657 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2020  12:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add loonielewy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
There is a difference in the dates and theres a large 7 and small 7.

Can you elaborate a bit more please. Which picture is which, and why.

Quote:
I believe this is a mistake and the only 2002 specimen dollar is "Family of Loons"

I think your right. No listing for any of the specimen loonies in the Young Wildlife sets in there either. .
"We are poor little lambs...who have lost our way...Baa...Baa...Baa"

In memory of those members who left us too soon...
In Memory of Tootallious March 31, 1964 to April 15, 2020
Canada
20 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2020  2:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mice45 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On the pictures by @chadcoins the top one is Specimen with the bigger 7, and the bottom one is from Winnipeg PL set with smaller 7.
The difference in size is small 1.5 x 1.1 mm and 1.3 x 0.9 mm correspondingly, which is hard to see with the naked eye.
But it is emphasized by the sharpness of the Specimen. If you look at the coins side-by-side, the inner space of 7 on Specimen looks deeper and bigger.
It seems that the font itself is different with top part of 7 being thicker, but it may be just the visual effect created by the roundness of PL coin's date.

I count this as a coin variety but not a die variety because the difference is marginal and it exists between finishes only.
There are other coins that have different design dies for Business Strike, NBU, and PL.
For example, 2007 to 2010 Loons with RCM logo have one type of reverse for MS, and another one with a different font for NBU and PL.
That technically creates two varieties of Loons with "circulation" finish for those years.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
657 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2020  8:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add loonielewy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
. It was rude of me to not have done this before. Thanks for posting. It's nice to see you like Loons. .

I looked for my 97 Loons and found some so far. I have 1 labelled Ottawa Mint, a Proof, and one in film unknown. I need to look for a while more tomorrow to see if I can find the sets. So are you saying the Win. set has 2 different 7's? 50/50 split? I could only see the top of the 7 being thicker by the pics, so thanks for the description. See what I can find tomorrow and post some pics, but I may not have a small 7.

Quote:
For example, 2007 to 2010 Loons with RCM logo have ...

Lets see what you got going there. .

Bedrock of the Community
Canada
15252 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2020  11:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
2017 Canada.
Dollar.
Snow goose.

Learn More...
United States
86481 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Canada
15252 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2020  11:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
2016 Canada.
Dollar.
Lucky Loonie.

Learn More...
United States
86481 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Canada
15252 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2020  08:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
2006 Canada
Olympic Lucky Loonie Dollar Coin

Learn More...
United States
86481 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2020  11:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
2006 Canada Olympic Lucky Loonie Dollar Coin
Very nice!
Bedrock of the Community
Canada
15252 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2020  12:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1988 Canada
Dollar.

Bedrock of the Community
Canada
15252 Posts
 Posted 03/22/2020  12:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
2015 Canada.
Dollar.

Learn More...
United States
86481 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
657 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2020  12:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add loonielewy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like the Snow Goose Dorado. The tree looks like its covered in snow with that light. The Snowflake is nice too. We had huge flakes this morning.

One of what will probably be called "My Covid Collection".

Learn More...
United States
86481 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2020  12:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
One of what will probably be called "My Covid Collection".

Very nice!
Valued Member
Canada
113 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2020  9:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add upc239 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm a long time loonie collector...and even in difficult times..I can still say Go Habs Go!

Page: of 18 Previous TopicReplies: 267 / Views: 20,734Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05